Poll

Are You Going to Buy the Switch?

Nintendo had me at Switch (Hyrule Warrior)
4 (66.7%)
Nintendo's done it and I'm buying a Switch before the year is up! (Mario Maniac)
0 (0%)
I'm going to buy but feel no urgency to do so anytime soon. (Smash Fighter)
0 (0%)
I'm still waiting for specific software to be announced/released before I'd buy it. (F-Zero Activist)
1 (16.7%)
Still unsure. (3DS is best!)
1 (16.7%)
Nope. I still see no reason for me to buy this. (Overwatch Elitist)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?  (Read 58256 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2016, 02:49:35 AM »
It could be the same title but maybe it doesn't look quite as nice.  I would be sold on the Switch if I get most of the same games the other consoles get and maybe they don't look quite as nice but that's acceptable to achieve portability and then I get Nintendo first party games as well.

I think this is what everyone is hoping for; a level of competency and power that attracts the same third party efforts.

I wonder, though. If the Nintendo Switch were to be an outstanding success, would third parties support it even if porting were easy? A runaway success for Nintendo pretty much confirms an incredible line-up of games and the best first party games on other consoles aren't nearly as intimidating to sell your wares next to as a competent Nintendo line-up. Would you rather go against Uncharted or Zelda? Mario or Rachet and Clank? Smash Bros. or God of War?

We all want Nintendo to be a capable company that serves up countless creative and timeless games, and maybe that is actually what scares third-parties the most.

Maybe Nintendo shouldn't worry about major third party support as they well never truly give it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
No it will not be current enough to do the exact same games PS4 does at the exact same level of tech, but that is the point, these will not be the exact same versions of those games they will be completely tailored to this play style.

Will it have the same Tomb Raider as the other two? No, I hope not, I have a PS4 for that. Most people do, or an Xbox 1. It will have its very own exclusive Tomb Raider that is tailor made for the Nintendo play style.

This is doing a fantastic job of destroying my enthusiasm for the Switch.  "Nintendo tailored" third party games are ****.  That drove me up the wall with the Wii - give the PS360 owners the REAL game while some the B team pumps out some dumbed down nonsense for the Nintendo audience.  If it works like this we'll get some shovelware spin-offs at first and then those wont' sell for obvious reasons and we'll be right back to nothing but first party games.

I'll want to replace the 3DS anyway but then the Switch has to get the sort of third party games that the 3DS gets, if those types of games even get made anymore as they tend to be quirky smaller budget Japanese games.  But then the price matters a lot more to me then it does if it actually pulls of the hybrid concept.  If it's getting decent third party support on the console front while being a good 3DS successor then the price can be higher.  If a PS4 or XB1 purchase is still essentially mandatory to get a proper console experience then it has to be real cheap.

But then a game like Persona V was made for the PS4 and PS3 so why couldn't it show up on the Switch?  Or something like Dragon Quest Builders was also on the Vita so why wouldn't it work?  The Switch could easily get games like that without it being some Nintendo tailored title.  It could be the same title but maybe it doesn't look quite as nice.  I would be sold on the Switch if I get most of the same games the other consoles get and maybe they don't look quite as nice but that's acceptable to achieve portability and then I get Nintendo first party games as well.

Probably because you ALREADY OWN a PS4 and you will play those full versions there? Nintendo is an AND console, deal with it that is the reality. Switch is not going to change that. What it is going to change is the output of games, that's it. If ALL you want is the exact same games  you can ALREADY get on PS4 then why bother? I mean that makes no sense Ian, it sounds like you just want to own a Nintendo branded Playstation, but you still buy Playstation.

You proved my point Ian, you are the very customer that still buys the Nintendo handheld for the Nintendo games and picks up the Playstation console for the Playstation games, are you really going to sit there and tell me, US, the whole world that you will suddenly sell your Playstation for the Switch? No you are not you are going to own both machines, the Playstation will be your HOME console, the Switch will be your handheld but it doubles as a home console.

I get the impression some people still think that Nintendo is going to get back to SNES levels of dominance, that will never happen, they got that way ILLEGALLY, it would be impossible for them to get back, even if they made a PS4 clone spec wise, or a PS5 clone spec wise. This is the best they can do, if you STILL just want Mario games on a PS4, then get in touch with those Dolphin hackers and contribute to the coding of a PS4 emulator to play Mario games.
Ian you yourself compared this to Wii and then started talking about 3DS, do you own a 3DS or not? Are you not one of the vocal champions of how great it is? It sounds to me like this is exactly what you want but then you say you just want a PS4 that plays Nintendo games. But you already own a PS4. Its still a separate market. Its the AND console but this time it will reach more people because this time it combines the handheld, oh god I give up. forget it.

I don't how this is so hard to grasp. Especially the same people who sit here and say they don't want to buy a PS4 because they aren't into the games but they want the Nintendo to HAVE those games! I mean grr that is damn frustrating.

The ENTIRE issue has always and ONLY been lack of games. NOBODY is going to buy a Machine that just plays the SAME GAMES, they either 1, already can play on their Playstation machine, or 2, aren't interested in the first place! I mean I THOUGHT you all wanted more 3rd party support, I THOUGHT that meant more games that play like Nintendo games and more games from companies that bring the mainstream stuff over but tailor it for the console. I don't mean cut features Ian, I mean like they always do make the game that works on this machine. This machine that will have a Street Fighter when even Xbox can't get that, because of the legal loop hole. Oh but you don't want Street Fighter because you already have it on PS5 you just want it to EXIST on Switch because...!??!?!?

If this was a Home console yes you would want the home console games but Nintendo lost that battle, even the massively successful Wii still didn't get the SAME games it got Wii games. This is going to be that but closer in specs. We don't know how powerful it will be, it might even be like you just said a situation where it gets the PS3 port scaled UP! HELLO are you not see how this is different!? This is GOING to have 3rd party support, this is the HAND HELD levels of support and console levels combined, how is that not resonating?

You touched on it with the combined teams, but you seem to be ignoring that 3rd parties will still bring their games to this thing if it sells and you know what if you just want the EXACT same games that are on the PS4 then buy a fucking PS4 and get this later.

This is NOT Game Cube this is NOT Wii this is a NEW DS that hooks to your TV.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
I actually don't own a PS4 so, no, presently I wouldn't be buying third party games on that console unless the Switch is so inadequate that I feel compelled to buy one.  The PS3 is the only non-Nintendo system I ever bought while it was still a current system because the Wii was such a letdown.  Everything else was purchased on the way out to get cheap access to games I missed out on.  To me the whole hook of something like the Switch is that you no longer have to buy a handheld and a console.  Now you just buy one.  That's the selling point.  If we still feel like we have to buy two systems then Nintendo has flubbed the concept.

Yeah I guess if I have to buy the Switch and PS4 and it costs the same as my 3DS/Wii U combination did then I guess I'm in the same boat I was in before and would get a better lineup out of it.  I think the Switch can do better than that though.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:24 AM »
Switch may have more "...surprises which are not possible with existing gaming devices."

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161028e.pdf
Q2:...Also, what do you think is the reason that major third-party publishers, who did not provide as much support for Wii U, are now willing to support Nintendo Switch?

A2 Kimishima: ...As for third-party support, we believe that third-party publishers have been able to realize that Nintendo Switch offers a chance to create new and exciting surprises which are not possible with existing gaming devices.

Q3: Your Financial Highlights document reads “Nintendo Switch offers a wholly new concept,” but from what I saw in the introductory video, the only difference I was able to notice was that I will be able to play existing game franchises such as Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon in other places than today. I would like Mr. Kimishima to share his impressions of his experiences playing the prototype Nintendo Switch himself, including how new it is.

A4 Kimishima: Although you are asking what exactly is new about Nintendo Switch, we cannot share any details today other than what we have already shown in the introductory video. On the other hand, although I understand that I am fairly old compared to the main gaming demographic and that it is supposed to be very challenging to develop a gaming system which will be able to persuade my generation of people to play, knowing about the variety of plans that we have not announced via the introductory video, including the software lineup, I would like you to know that I myself am very much looking forward to the launch of Nintendo Switch. I also hope that all of you can experience the system for yourselves in January.

Que Ian's worried face.

Not sure what he's talking about that can't be done with consoles and handhelds now. My guess is that it has to do with the Joycons. There's still plenty of questions left there and I don't see them shoehorning another gimmick in there. I could be wrong though.

Also, sounds like Kimishima is pretty jazzed for it, despite being "fairly old compared to the main demographic".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:16:11 AM by Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2016, 12:47:55 AM »
I figured there had to be more to it than the obvious that wasn't shown.

I love what they did show in the reveal video.
I know the obvious that they didn't need to show (.... touchscreen, etc etc).
and I'm excited to find out what it was that they couldn't show yet, because I knew there was more to it.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:41 AM »
In spite of what a lot of knowledgeable people are saying regarding the Switch's potential for VR, I actually see the Switch as being very VR "ready" simply because the tablet can have a visor attachment and the joycon controllers will probably support motion controls.

That seems like a very likely fit.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
Maybe the secret feature is the modular controllers we've already talked about.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »
I think the Switch is going to have this balancing act between price, hardware power and battery life.  You fiddle with one and the others have to adjust and getting any of those three wrong could make the difference between success and failure.  So if Nintendo has any extra features to still reveal how do they affect those three things I mentioned?  Because if compromises have to be made to any of them to accommodate Feature X then X better be something pretty amazing and essential and not just turned off and forgotten about like glasses-free 3D.

The thing that is kind of annoying is the idea that Nintendo would feel they NEED a gimmick.  It already has one - it's a handheld AND a console in one.  That's it.  That's the hook and it's easy to market and it makes the system stand out.  No other gimmick is necessary to get people on board.  Nintendo should run with the hybrid design and seek to do it as well as possible and not risk buggering that up with unneeded nonsense.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
Switch may have more "...surprises which are not possible with existing gaming devices."
Not sure what he's talking about that can't be done with consoles and handhelds now. My guess is that it has to do with the Joycons.

They're small enough that you can shove 'em up your arse to play WarioWare minigames.
Surprise!
 ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:03:18 PM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »
So it looks like we have 28 blind fanboys. :P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
The Wii U was a failure on pretty much every level and I still loved the thing and in no way regret paying full price day one for it. I figure there's pretty much no way Nintendo fucks up the Switch even worse, so I'm very confident I'll be good there too.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
So it looks like we have 28 blind fanboys. :P

Plus, the 11 that fully plan to get it just not on Day 1. Not enough Switch-hitters for my liking though...

What I'm curious about is who the Switching Gears person is? Who is the one No? I'm wondering if it might be Stevey because he seemed to be disappointed in the reveal of Nvidia in the specs of the machine. Or is it Agent X who sometimes seems to waver between being interested in the system or rejecting it completely in these comments? What makes the "no" voter so down on the system?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2016, 07:13:51 PM »
So it looks like we have 28 blind fanboys. :P: :

* 27 blind fanboys and one person who has to buy it for coverage
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »
I would never rule out a Nintendo console. Hell, I will probably own a Switch before the end of 2017, if it gets a game I feel that I absolutely NEED to play. But Splat2n, Mario Kart 8.5, and Zelda on Switch won't be those games.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »
So it looks like we have 28 blind fanboys. :P:

Plus, the 11 that fully plan to get it just not on Day 1. Not enough Switch-hitters for my liking though...

What I'm curious about is who the Switching Gears person is? Who is the one No? I'm wondering if it might be Stevey because he seemed to be disappointed in the reveal of Nvidia in the specs of the machine. Or is it Agent X who sometimes seems to waver between being interested in the system or rejecting it completely in these comments? What makes the "no" voter so down on the system?

:)

What makes me so down on the system is that it seems to focus on the very same concepts that they did with the Wii U. When Nintendo chose the Wii U's design, they chose to compromise on graphics. Here again they are choosing to compromise on graphics for things that I don't care about.

There's still a chance that I will be won over. For the time being, though, I'm more likely to take my $300 and upgrade my video card. I'm not a fan of "And Nintendo" gaming, like some people appear to be. I want my games on the Nintendo, and the last time they had that was Gamecube.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
"Here again they are choosing to compromise on graphics for things that I don't care about."

Even if you never remove the system from its dock, I think that you will still benefit greatly from the design choices.  It means that the best Nintendo-centric games, which often appear on handhelds, will all be available to play at home.  If Nintendo built a traditional system at a traditional price with zero new concepts, they would likely have terrible third party support and you will never get the quality of a gaming PC on a console.  If anything, the PS4 and XBone are pointless other than their exclusives if you care about graphical fidelity, good AI, etc.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2016, 12:21:31 PM »
I'm not a fan of "And Nintendo" gaming, like some people appear to be. I want my games on the Nintendo, and the last time they had that was Gamecube.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
So it looks like we have 28 blind fanboys. :P: :
* 27 blind fanboys and one person who has to buy it for coverage
...for a site at which you volunteer. ;)

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2016, 09:20:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of "And Nintendo" gaming, like some people appear to be. I want my games on the Nintendo, and the last time they had that was Gamecube.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

supermario2k basically says that Nintendo game machines are and will always be a second game machine purchase for anyone who wants to play something other than Nintendo published games. If you really want to play Madden (or pick a sport of your preference) then you have to buy a Playstation or Xbox. Well it wasn't like this for Gamecube, the last Nintendo console that got sports games and generally had third party support.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
I would kill to have sports games on the Switch, not just so I wouldn't have to own other systems (I already do), but to have the off-TV option. I loved having that ability with the one version of FIFA we got on Wii U, and I played a ton of MLB The Show through my Vita. It's great for sinking a ton of time into a franchise mode.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2016, 12:14:22 AM »
I would kill to have sports games on the Switch, not just so I wouldn't have to own other systems (I already do), but to have the off-TV option. I loved having that ability with the one version of FIFA we got on Wii U, and I played a ton of MLB The Show through my Vita. It's great for sinking a ton of time into a franchise mode.

This is why I'm down on the Switch. I feel like Nintendo's home console gets very little in the way of sports games, and when they did (for Wii) the system was literally incapable of handling the games so they all had to be dumbed down.  :@

Hoping that the NS won't be like that. I don't want special versions of games for the portable.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »
I can see the Switch doing extremely well over in Japan since most of them game on the go anyhow but I really can't see it being a big hit in the NA or European markets.

This is going be expensive for a Nintendo handheld (the 3ds sales bombed in the beginning before the massive price cuts).

-----------

Doubt I'll get one before year 3 mostly just so I can play "Nintendo" games.  .
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:20:44 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2017, 12:29:47 AM »
Here are the current poll results:

YES! Day 1 Purchase for me! (Switch Over)- 28 (46.7%)
I will at some point but not right away. (Switched On)- 11 (18.3%)
I'm not saying no but I need to see more info and games first. (Bait and Switch)- 13 (21.7%)
No. This is not what I want. I'm moving on to the competition. (Switch Gears)- 1 (1.7%)
I'm getting the NX with AMD chips and VR gameplay. (Asleep at the Switch)- 1 (1.7%)
I'm giving my money to Khushrenada to buy more entertaining posts. (Switch-hitter)- 6 (10%)

Anyone changing their vote after the presentation today?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »
Joycons are 40 bucks a piece. HOLY ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:46 AM »
I am less sold...