Author Topic: 'Petting' Minigame Removed From North American Version Of Fire Emblem Fates  (Read 6683 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Touching to boost happiness in RPGs is officially confined to Pokémon.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41844/petting-minigame-removed-from-north-american-version-of-fire-emblem-fates

Following the announcement of the removal of a support scene in Fire Emblem Fates, another controversial aspect of the title will not be localized.

Nintendo representatives have confirmed to Kotaku that a "petting" minigame in the game's My Castle mode, which allowed for players to use the 3DS touch screen to enhance the relationship with party members, has been removed. The feature worked with any support relationship, including with blood or adopted relatives.

In a statement to Kotaku, Nintendo said "You might have heard somewhat misinterpreted or exaggerated information about the Japanese original game, but even in the Japanese original version, we have not included any features which are considered inappropriate in Japan."

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Okay it's now getting kind of funny to see how much "why did you think this was a good idea?" content has to be changed or removed for the North American release.

"You know what our games needs?  The ability to give handjobs to your own relatives!" said someone working for a major company like Nintendo oddly enough.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nothing important to the gameplay or story is gone. Rally sad people are making a big deal over this.

If they removed swords from the game? Then a big deal.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo: "Let's cut a lot of stuff and announce a bunch of it before the game is released so that way all the gaming news sites will cover it and give our game coverage. People will buy it anyways."
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I don't think they ever toted the "petting your members" minigame as a feature. However, it's hilarious that Nintendo feels the need to censor aspects that make a game MORE like a JRPG, which is essentially what the franchise has become.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I don't mind the loss of this "feature", but I do mind the loss of the bonuses it awarded. Raising affinity between characters in that mini-game allowed you to max out support relationships quicker, rather than forcing you to grind turns having to have the characters stand next to each other to gain it naturally.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I don't mind the loss of this "feature", but I do mind the loss of the bonuses it awarded. Raising affinity between characters in that mini-game allowed you to max out support relationships quicker, rather than forcing you to grind turns having to have the characters stand next to each other to gain it naturally.

Very true. Building affinity slowly over the course of many battles is pretty tedious and restricting. It's a shame there was a way to speed up the process built into the game, but then removed (instead of being replaced with some other alternative, if the original mini-game actually was offensive and not just being sensationalized for Western website clicks).
NNID: ejamer

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Okay it's now getting kind of funny to see how much "why did you think this was a good idea?" content has to be changed or removed for the North American release.

"You know what our games needs?  The ability to give handjobs to your own relatives!" said someone working for a major company like Nintendo oddly enough.

And yet you can still give your Pokemon a handjob. :I

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
So you'd sacrifice actual gameplay over garbage minigame bullshit? And here I thought you valued the former over the later, broody.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

And people wonder why Japanese game makers are going out of business while Western ones are ruling the world. For shame Nintendo, perverts and pedophiles confirmed.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Screaming Gators in 3... 2... 1....

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
It took 10 minutes to max a support in Awakening, 12 minutes if it was a S-rank. I seriously doubt this would have been a faster, less tedious alternative.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
So you'd sacrifice actual gameplay over garbage minigame bullshit? And here I thought you valued the former over the later, broody.

No, I clearly said that I don't mind the feature's removal. I just wish NoA had put in an alternative non-pervy way to get those bonuses. Hell, they could just boost the Affinity gain after pairing turns. Instead, we got a feature removal without anything taking its place. Even Fatal Frame got new costumes in place of the censored ones.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Could Nintendo have rebalanced the numbers slightly to make up for the missing bonuses from the cut minigames?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Although I don't support decisions like this on principle, it also doesn't sound like anything of value is being lost with these changes. I'd still buy a game like this if I were interested in it in the first place, but I still haven't really played a Fire Emblem game yet so I'd have to play one of the two I already have first.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D138Dm00MwI

Yep, thats just weird and creepy and really doesnt need to be in the game.

Offline Ninferno

• View Profile
Again, I couldn't care less about trivial stuffs like this, but I do remember the outrage there was when people found out about this "feature" exists and the whining about FE games degrading into otaku pervy "Vita games". So I guess people should be happy now, right?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
So I guess people should be happy now, right?

No one is ever happy.

I'm a bit sad that this was removed, but that's only I have a fatalistic attraction to the dark holes that niche Japan can dig itself in to.

Now, hopefully affinity gains will be adjusted to make up for the removal of Fire Emblem amie!

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel

And yet you can still give your Pokemon a handjob. :I
that's detective Lucario's Kind of handy!
Made you look ****.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
Again, I couldn't care less about trivial stuffs like this, but I do remember the outrage there was when people found out about this "feature" exists and the whining about FE games degrading into otaku pervy "Vita games". So I guess people should be happy now, right?
I saw the opposite. It was a ton of people happy about it and violently attacking the old Fire Emblem fans who weren't happy stuff like this was being added.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D138Dm00MwI

Yep, thats just weird and creepy and really doesnt need to be in the game.

Bwahahaha... Ok, having seen it, I don't feel bad at all about the decision to cut.
(Even though it is unfortunate that there isn't a replacement with the same in-game effect.)
NNID: ejamer

Hello! I was wondering.

Is marrying the siblings still possible? As in marrying Camilla, Ryoma, Hinoka, ect.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:45:17 PM by FireEmblem4Ever123 »

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
To the best of our knowledge, that will still be present.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
It will probably be renamed “Lifelong Companions" or whatever they called that thing in Awakening with Owain and Lucina.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
To say what would happen beyond "it's probably in" would be a bigger spoiler than the frickin' chainsaw sword.
Tutorial box out.