Author Topic: Backlaugust 2022: Round 3 so we can break our backlogs and be free.  (Read 27464 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Backlaugust: The Official Negative World Nintendo World Report Month for Decimating Backlogs!â„¢ is back again for more action! So start looking through your backlog and get started!

Here are the "rules":

Games can be on any system, not just Nintendo systems. I know we're a Nintendo fan site, but most everyone here is a multi-console owner. So play a game on any system you want.

Let us know what you're playing. Mostly just so we can cheer each other on.

Play games you already own. A lot of people tend to buy a game then not play it, or play it for a significant amount of time and then put it down. This is what we're aiming for. Games that launch in August or July of this year don't count.

Try to pick up games you aren't actively playing right now. Games you're currently playing can be allowed, but in the spirit of Backlaugust, let's try to make them games you aren't playing at the moment. Make it a game you haven't touched in a month or more if possible.

When is a game done? That's up to you! Mark a game off your backlog when you've seen the ending or end credits, or once you've seen enough of the game in a game without a "proper ending" (like an arcade-type game). You don't have to do or get everything unless you want to.

Finished games will be posted later in this post. Because everyone likes to see their accomplishments recognized. Just post when you're done and I'll try (and inevitably fail) to update daily.

I'd normally put how many games we cleared last year but there's a little game called Xenoblade 3 that's probably going to cause all sorts of havoc to our heroic attempts to quell the Backlog horde. I don't think we have any chance of beating any records here but we'll just see what happens from here I guess.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2022: Round 3 so we can break our backlogs and be free.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 03:05:02 AM »
But it's still July!  >:(
(I'll look over the pile this weekend)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 02:35:49 PM »
I'd normally put how many games we cleared last year but there's a little game called Xenoblade 3 that's probably going to cause all sorts of havoc to our heroic attempts to quell the Backlog horde. I don't think we have any chance of beating any records here but we'll just see what happens from here I guess.

Or just wait a month to play Xenoblade 3. It won't kill you to wait. (Of course, I'd say playing and beating Xenoblade 3 during Backlaugust should still count since you are removing a game from your backlog. Until a game is beat, it is part of your backlog whether you play it right away or not.)

Now, for the Forum searching impaired, click here for Round 1 and click here for Round 2.

Reviewing the past events, Round 1 was 14 games for me and Round 2 was 7 games. In both cases, I didn't really get into action until the month was already a 1/3 to 1/2 gone. Not this year! I'm using these last days of July to help me get ready for the start of August. I'm getting some chores done now. I'm thinking I'll make a couple big meals like a lasagna and or chili and portion it out for quick and easy meal prep time. Jeopardy goes on vacation after this week so I can probably bring my TV watching to 0 hours for a lot of days. Going to try and maximize my playtime because I want to surpass my previous best of 14 from Round 1 and set a new record for this Round 3.

I've got some games in mind that I wanted to tackle for this month and, to that end, I should go through my backloggery and work out what all I would like to aim for. If RABicle is also able to get his schedule in order than maybe me and him can rep for team Pietriots and whomp NWR and Negative World. I'm feeling competitive this year!  8)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 08:38:18 PM »
Glad to see people are getting fired up early for Backlaugust this year. I have been frontloading with Kirby's Epic Yarn on Wii. I am at 58% right now so I should be able to mark that one off very early in the month.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:58:07 PM »
Damn I was gunna make this thread the other day!

Like Bungle I am trying to get ahead and have been hitting Pokemon Legends and Pokemon Black 2 pretty hard to get them in some shape for Backlaugust. Then it’ll be onto Hundred Days on the iPad and remnants of my 3DS backlog or something else I can play while commuting to my horrible full time job. I preferred the days of 2020 when I was unemployed and finsihing off a gazillion games to win this thing. I’ll reply with a better plan later today. I also have a Saturday job I must endure.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:45:52 PM »
I want to really go for this this year, though I'm a little ashamed that some of the games I want to knock out are things I said I wanted to get done last year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 09:31:25 AM »
I want to really go for this this year, though I'm a little ashamed that some of the games I want to knock out are things I said I wanted to get done last year.
Thanks part of the fun!

Anyway, here;s the plan, the post that will get updated with progress.

Pokémon Black 2 - Nintendo DS Beaten, 18th of August
I boycotted this game back in the day because I was sick of third versions. Of course after the joke that was UltraSun and the crimes against the franchise that would follow, Black and White 2 suddenly look alright. In fact now that I am playing them, maybe this is the pinnacle of traditional Pokémon. There’s a lot of good stuff here and its a shame that they didn’t go on with some things.
I was playing Black 2 pretty hard this month after getting back into it after my long dissolutionment with Pokémon but before coming up against the seventh gym, the dragon gym, I wanted to train up some ice type and I don’t have any since I hadn’t experienced a winter. Backlaugust is Winter so I’ll get getting that Beartic and friends. I’ll declare it beaten for Backlaugust purposes when I see the credits but I expect to keep playing this through to November before finishing up, sending everyone to Pokémon Bank and gearing up for Scarlet. Projecting a finish around the tenth with focus on sessions while commuting and in bed.

Grand Mountain Adventure: Wonderlands - Nintendo Switch. Beaten, 3rd of August
I bought this a while ago as I’m becoming a armoured with the isometric racer genre. It’s great. It’s also HUGE as the grand and mountain imply. I’m about halfway through it after a decent session last night. I reckon I can knock off about one mountain per session and I still have 6 or so mountains to beat. So I’m projecting a mid month finish for this game, playing evenings after dinner.

Hundred Days - iPad
I’ve heard this one is pretty short. It’s a sorta sim, more like a puzzler which tells the story of running a vineyard, I’ve cleared the basic tutorial stage. Might try to get some sessions in at work and during mindless dual screening sessions on the couch weekdays.

Pokémon Legends Arceus - Nintendo Switch Beaten, 13th of August
So I’ve been playing this one to fill the Pokémon hole while Black 2 is on ice. I’m up to quelling Avalug which I guess I dont know, is this far? I’ve explored pretty much the whole region now but there’s a lot of interesting places that seem to be demand to be revisited. I guess I’ll look to pick it up again after I beat the elite four in Black 2. Expecting to finish later in teh month.

80’s Overdrive Nintendo SwitchBeaten, 7th of August
Another in the growing genre of games trying to capture the nostalgia of Outrun. I think I’ve cleared about half of this so far. Will pick it up as my casual switch game to play while the TV is on. Expect to beat by mid month.

Metroid Dread - Nintendo Switch
I guess I'll try to beat this. I'm very bad at Metroids. Might do Ori instead first? I don't know. Projecting 27th of August

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Nintendo Switch
I think I’m halfway through. Will pickup and rescue the owl! Projecting 20th of August

Harest Moon - SNES via Wii U Virtual Console
There’s a save file that I’m pretty sure is in winter of the same one year. Why did I stop then? Who knows. Something to do. Projecting 20th of August.

Overland - iPhone
Who knows? Something to do during the commute. It’s meant to be story heavy though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:42:24 AM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 02:46:59 AM »
Welp, it begins. The true Summer Games Fest right here.

I've targetted over 40 games that I'm going to put my focus on this month. Will I get through them all? I highly doubt that. But maybe I can get through half of them and hit 20 although I'd love to do 30 which almost be a game a day. I've got 13 Switch games, 10 Wii U games, 11 Wii games, 4 DS games, 2 3DS games and 2 GameCube games that I've selected as possibly shorter titles that could be quick to finish with a few that I've spent some time on but never got around to finishing yet.

The race is now on.

EDIT: I've made the list of games I'm looking to tackle on my Backloggery account if you anyone is really that interested in what I'm thinking of gaming this month. And wouldn't you know it? Today is my Backloggery anniversary date marking 10 years since I started using that site. Hopefully I can make the start of Year 10 special by powering through a chunk of games.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 07:25:00 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 01:40:24 PM »
I think I'm in the mood for some classic gaming. Perhaps it's about time that I dive in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection collection and make my way through this famous and infamous series. These are probably relatively short games too, right?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 01:52:41 PM »
It was something I thought about when going through my GameCube library and looking at the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections (as well as the Sonic game collections). Although I know you've stated those collections are probably not the best way to experience the games (and I'd much prefer to have save states or a rewind feature for those NES games), it is probably the way I'll play through them at some point because I just don't see a reason to buy another collection of Mega Man games if I've already got them.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
I think I'm in the mood for some classic gaming. Perhaps it's about time that I dive in the Mega Man X Legacy Collection collection and make my way through this famous and infamous series. These are probably relatively short games too, right?
I have played the first 4 Mega Man X games and each can be completed in a session or two (about 4-5 hours). I did get stuck on one of them near the final boss, where I was slightly underprepared and had to keep grinding to refill health containers before attempting the boss again. This made it go on for another hour or two. That might just have been mel. One of these days I will get around to the other games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 03:02:29 PM »
From what I have heard the GameCube X collection is fine, it's just the regular Mega Man collection that's a little wonky. Neither one has the full collection at this point although in the case of the X collection, it's missing X7 and X8 which seem to have some of the worst receptions so perhaps you're actually dodging a bullet there. The regular series has had 9 and 10 since then, and the Legacy Collection 2 also includes all of the paid DLC they released, so if you were to get any of the newer collections, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 would give you the most content you don't already have.

EDIT: I've made the list of games I'm looking to tackle on my Backloggery account if you anyone is really that interested in what I'm thinking of gaming this month.
By the way, you forgot to insert a link here. Or perhaps you did this on purpose as a way to gauge if anyone would actually try clicking on it.

Happy Anniversary!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
My goal this month is a simple one: to at least finish, if not Platinum, another Kingdom Hearts game, and there have been a lot of them in my replay backlog over the years because I barely touched the HD Collections outside of Birth By Sleep. Been in a Kingdom Hearts mood ever since I pushed myself to finally finish KH3 a week or so ago after having it on hiatus for 3 years.

For the better part of the last week, I've been working my way through Melody of Memories, and I'm pretty far along in that one but it's the kind of game where it's best played in shorter sessions w/ other games buffering it. Right now, I'm looking at possibly finally finishing Dream Drop Distance HD (I stopped playing at Prankster's Paradise all those years ago); finally finishing my Platinum cleanup on Birth By Sleep HD; or finally doing my "real" replay of KH1 HD on Proud mode (I'd previously gotten burnt out doing a "Starting Equipment + No Death + 15 hour speedrun" run).

Been feeling pretty good about my backlog clearing this year, so I'd like to knock at least one of these out before Soul Hackers 2 and the Cowabunga Collection releases later this month.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 07:29:57 PM »
From what I have heard the GameCube X collection is fine, it's just the regular Mega Man collection that's a little wonky. Neither one has the full collection at this point although in the case of the X collection, it's missing X7 and X8 which seem to have some of the worst receptions so perhaps you're actually dodging a bullet there. The regular series has had 9 and 10 since then, and the Legacy Collection 2 also includes all of the paid DLC they released, so if you were to get any of the newer collections, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 would give you the most content you don't already have.

EDIT: I've made the list of games I'm looking to tackle on my Backloggery account if you anyone is really that interested in what I'm thinking of gaming this month.
By the way, you forgot to insert a link here. Or perhaps you did this on purpose as a way to gauge if anyone would actually try clicking on it.

Happy Anniversary!

Right, of course. Didn't think about MM9 and MM10 and their later releases. Didn't realize the X collection did not have 7 or 8. Thought it was complete. Guess it's in the trash for those two games...

The link should be fixed now. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 10:16:51 PM »
Right, of course. Didn't think about MM9 and MM10 and their later releases. Didn't realize the X collection did not have 7 or 8. Thought it was complete. Guess it's in the trash for those two games...

X7 is trash so you're not missing anything gameplay wise.  It's got some damn good music though so I'd recommend listening to the soundtrack on Youtube.  Seriously, the first Sigma boss fight in X7 is one of the best music tracks in the whole series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k6sj_tukNk

X8 on the other hand does have its fans, with some people even thinking its one of the better X games.  Me personally, I found it to be pretty meh.  It's not a complete disaster like X7, but half the stages have a stupid gimmick that makes them not very fun to replay.  Maybe you might be one of the people who love it, so its something to think about since the games not universally despised like X7.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 01:03:37 AM »
When I said it's in the trash for those two games, I was referring to the GC Mega Man and Mega Man X collections since they were incomplete. That's the joke.

Alright. Mark one on the board. Picross e8 is complete. All puzzles finished. I had about 40 puzzles left in that one but no more. All Picross e puzzles for 3DS are now done as I get closer to completing all the games I've downloaded onto my 3DS.

Made excellent progress with Shantae: Risky's Revenge today. Finished today with the path to the final boss now open. Should be able to wrap that up tomorrow. Played some of Elli today. Don't know how close or far I am to the end but if I finish Shantae tomorrow and then keep progressing some more in Elli I think I could have that done for Wednesday. Also cleared the first two worlds of BoxBoy + BoxGirl. See how that goes with trying to do a chunk of it here and there.

But now it's time for some Better Call Saul so that's it for gaming today.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 11:12:01 AM »
I helped Lord Kirby tie up Yin Yarn as I finished a 100% run of Kirby's Epic Yarn yesterday on Wii. Total play time was just under 17 hours, very close to the 17.5 average that is listed for 100% runs on HowLongtoBeat.com. I thought the amount of content was just right and enjoyed most of the bonus challenges. It was neat to see the nascent version of the art style from Yoshi's Wooly World as well. I have mixed feelings about the Sonic-esque mechanic of beads that disperse when you get hit and need to recollect. I also expected a twist in the story, like King Fluff turning out to be the real evil boss, but that never happened. Still a solid 8/10 game with some good use of the Wii remote.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 12:30:14 PM »
Mega Man X
Way back when I was younger, I did play Mega Man X on the actual Super Nintendo, but I never finished it. I later sold the cartridge when I bought the PS2 Mega Man X collection, which I proceeded to not play and it wasn't all that long after that the X Legacy collection was announced. Oops! I don't recall liking the game very much but it's been so long, I figured I could give it another shot and see if I can better appreciate it now that I'm older and wiser. And I've gotta say...

...I still find it kinda meh! It's got the usual Mega Man staple of good presentation and a variety of stages, and I like that it features robotic animals to differentiate itself from the original series. When it comes to action games like this, I tend to prefer something more straight-forward and less complex, so for example things like having to replay stages to find upgrades is more of a boring slog than anything. After I completed the eight stages I just used a password to acquire all the items and skip over that nonsense. I've also never particularly cared for challenging games although this one seems harder than the original series for the wrong reasons. It also still has the NES problem of enemies instantly respawning if their start point barely scrolls off screen; I thought this was the Super Nintendo what even is this?!

It doesn't help that the Legacy Collection doesn't have save states or rewind for some odd reason; these are almost a necessity to overcome some of the archaic design decisions of these old games. It's certainly got me worried about how the rest of this series is going to go! But who knows, if the fans thought the later games went downhill from here then maybe I'll think the opposite since this first game missed the mark for me.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2022, 05:45:34 PM »
Mega Man X
It's certainly got me worried about how the rest of this series is going to go! But who knows, if the fans thought the later games went downhill from here then maybe I'll think the opposite since this first game missed the mark for me.

One word of advice when playing the X games is to go into options menu and set the Dash ability to the L or R button.  This is what the later Zero series did for movement, and makes the games so much more fun to control.  Makes fighting enemies and bosses easier since it's much easier to jump and shot while dashing this way.  Makes Dash jumping off the walls a night and day difference as well.

Seriously, this is the way most hardcore X fans will recommend to play since the default Dash options of double tap or A are not the most ideal in the harder parts of these games.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 01:47:10 AM »
Shantae: Risky's Revenge is now beat. It turns out this game has 4 different ending pictures much like Metroid depending on how fast you finish and collect everything. I beat the game twice tonight to see two of the pictures though there doesn't seem to be a gallery for them. Normally, I might try and replay the game to get the other two pictures from a faster time but this is Backlaugust and there's no time for replays! It's on to the next title.

Made some more progress in Elli. How far am I from the end? *shoulder shrug* There's not much information online about the game so I don't know how much further and longer it might take. Another couple worlds done in BoxBoy + BoxGirl to keep that game moving along.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 03:56:14 AM »
1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: I was pretty close to the end of this so I figured it'd be a good choice to kick off the month. Platformers are probably my favorite genres of games and this game is one of the best of them I've ever played. It gets challenging, but at least to me never felt cheap, which is a tough line to walk.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2022, 06:54:47 AM »
First game down, I have beaten Grand Mountain Adventure: Wonderlands. Or have I? I have unlocked all the mountains now, typically each mountain unlocks after you collect 15 ski passes (awarded for completing challenges) in teh previous one. On the final mountain I now have 17 ski passes. There’s still many more challenges to complete, but I’ve seen pretty much what the game has to offer now so I’ll be putting it away.

Progress has been slow on other games. I caught a Cubchoo and Spheal in Pokémon Black 2 but now I have to train them or something. Haven’t touched Legends and my iOS gaming has been hijacked by uh, well it seems to be thirsty summer on Fire Emblem and I’m trying to pull a certain two goddesses. (Warning, while that link isn’t NSFW by the traditional definition, it is unsafe for any female to see your screen and you hope to have them respect you in the future while it is loaded up so click with caution.)

I think 80s Overdrive is coming into view though. I’ll add that to my original post.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:58:44 AM by RABicle »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2022, 05:46:11 PM »
I got a Switch earlier in the year and while I started off having completed 100% of my games, that fell by the wayside by the time I bought my third title.  And since I'm trying to stick with physical releases I've gathered a fair backlog quickly due to snapping up games when they get a big price cut or appear to be clearing out of stores.  I also tend to pretty much just play puzzle games, visual novels and RPGs these days and RPGs are of course typically long titles.  Currently playing Shin Megami Tensei V.  I have a week off work during August so I will probably spend that playing games and can hopefully make a bit of a dent into the Switch backlog.  I got the Danganronpa collection and I had beaten the first title prior to SMTV so my thinking is to do the second game afterwards and alternate between shorter games and RPGs.

But we're just talking Switch backlog here.  I shudder to think how long it would take to beat all the games I have from older systems.  I attended the Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo recently and there was a $2 table that I grabbed a bunch of PS2/PS3/XB games from.  Used PS3 games got pretty cheap recently so I've bought several over the last few years for $2-5 and they're not necessarily short games.  I have a theory that if I moved to some remote location with electricity that I would have enough games to last me the rest of my natural life.  I could crunch the numbers and confirm that but that project would eat up too much time I could be spending on the backlog.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2022, 05:56:06 PM »
Starting off Backlaugust strong this year by... giving up on Human Resource Machine.

It's a puzzle game with a strong concept: you're a mailroom clerk tasked with moving mail from one conveyor belt to another. However, to sort the mail in the right order you need to create what are essentially programming routines. Some pieces of mail you can stack, others you want to skip until a certain condition is met, etc.

The game's not quite as fleshed out as Little Inferno (from the same team) was in the story/setting department, but gameplay wise a lot more interesting. The only problem in this equation is that I'm an idiot who can't do maths, logic, or independent thought.
As a result I was already googling solutions after a third of the way in, and I had no idea what the solutions I was copying were even doing. So, time to shelve it.

I have a theory that if I moved to some remote location with electricity that I would have enough games to last me the rest of my natural life.  I could crunch the numbers and confirm that but that project would eat up too much time I could be spending on the backlog.

At some point it's probably more about curating a personal collection than finishing everything lol

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 08:08:08 PM »
One word of advice when playing the X games is to go into options menu and set the Dash ability to the L or R button.
Thanks for the advice, but I did figure this out with X2 where you start with the dash. Speaking of which...

Mega Man X2
Wasting no time I quickly moved on to the next title in the series. In the interest of full disclosure, I have been consulting a weakness chart for these games to counter-balance the lack of save states. Certainly not expecting much, I gotta say...

...I liked it better than the first! While it does have a number of the same issues, the difficulty felt better-balanced, and the presentation is stepped up a notch. Starting with the dash this time is probably a good idea because of how it's pretty much a necessity to have any hope of avoiding damage. It has some neat ideas in it like the bounty hunters that are after X, although it seems odd that they're hidden away in stages as opposed to more actively engaging in battle with him. Whereas the original game was a 6/10 experience for me, I'd probably rate this one a 7/10. Let's see if this upward tick continues into X3, next time!