Author Topic: Transformers: The Game Gets Voiced  (Read 8164 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Transformers: The Game Gets Voiced
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:56:02 AM »
Hear the actors from the movie in the game too.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13482

Activision Signs Talent From Upcoming Feature Film And Original TV Series For Transformers: The Game    

Santa Monica, CA – May 18, 2007 – TRANSFORMERS: The Game, from Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), developed under license from HPG the licensing division of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is bridging the gap from “G1" (Generation One) to the present day TRANSFORMERS by casting the upcoming live-action film leads Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox alongside legendary voice actors Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, the original voices of OPTIMUS PRIME and MEGATRON. Based on “TRANSFORMERS," the highly anticipated live-action feature film from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures, in association with Hasbro, the game allows players to relive their favorite movie moments and go beyond in a movie-inspired storyline penned with the help of Flint Dille, best known as the writer of the acclaimed “TRANSFORMERS" animated series.    

“TRANSFORMERS is an incredible franchise with huge global appeal and our goal is to present a game that speaks to fans of the upcoming movie as well as to G1 fans," said Laird Malamed, head of production, Activision, Inc. “We have a fantastic line-up that includes original talent from the animated TV series and the upcoming film, bringing together the best of both worlds."    

In TRANSFORMERS: The Game, players choose to protect the Earth as AUTOBOTS or destroy it as DECEPTICONS. Playing as OPTIMUS PRIME, BUMBLEBEE, MEGATRON, BARRICADE and other characters, gamers will experience the unstoppable power and massive scale of their favorite ROBOTS IN DISGUISE as they battle for Earth.    

TRANSFORMERS: The Game is in development by Traveller’s Tales for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Wii™ video game console, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and PC, and is rated “T" (Teen) by the ESRB. A PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system version is being developed by Savage Entertainment and is currently rated “E 10+" (Everyone 10 and older – Violence) by the ESRB. Two unique games for Nintendo DS™, TRANSFORMERS: AUTOBOTS and TRANSFORMERS: DECEPTICONS, are being developed by Vicarious Visions and are rated “E 10+" (Everyone 10 and older - Violence) by the ESRB. For more information about the game, visit http://www.transformersgame.com/.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Transformers: The Game Gets Voiced
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:23:54 PM »
Get to hear all sorts of people say "Transform!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Transformers: The Game Gets Voiced
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
This is a bit confusing, Frank Welker is no longer the voice of Megatron in the movie (Hugo Weaving is), so I wonder if that is a typo?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
This is a bit confusing, Frank Welker is no longer the voice of Megatron in the movie (Hugo Weaving is), so I wonder if that is a typo?

Maybe Hugo couldn't (or more realistically, his contract didn't allow him to) do the voice for the game version and are using the original voice actor for the game.

That happens sometimes.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »
Frank Welker was the original voice actor for the original Megatron for Tranformers G1.  Hugo Weaving Unfortunately is doing the Voice for the Live action vers. of Megatron. Which is abit sad, I wanted the original, They Got Peter Cullen for Optimus, why not Megs?

Atleast he'll be reprising his role for the game, hoping that the game will be good.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »

Originally posted by: MysticGohan
Frank Welker was the original voice actor for the original Megatron for Tranformers G1.  Hugo Weaving Unfortunately is doing the Voice for the Live action vers. of Megatron. Which is abit sad, I wanted the original, They Got Peter Cullen for Optimus, why not Megs?

Atleast he'll be reprising his role for the game, hoping that the game will be good.

Actually from what I gathered they originally had Welker cast as Megatron but after hearing his voice (which from most reports is weak sounding) they needed to get someone new unless people wanted a wheezing megatron.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »
I dont' know if I'd buy that. I have to hear him personally to make that kind of judgment, any reasons why he sounds weak?

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:57:01 PM »

I dont' know if I'd buy that. I have to hear him personally to make that kind of judgment, any reasons why he sounds weak?

Well sometimes people's voices deteriorate as they get older. Personally I didn't care for the the original Megatron's voice, and vastly preferred the Beast Wars one.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »

Well sometimes people's voices deteriorate as they get older. Personally I didn't care for the the original Megatron's voice, and vastly preferred the Beast Wars one.

Tell me your joking? The Beast Wars Megs Suked hardcore! I mean, I went wtf when I first heard him speak. He talks to himself and acts redundant. He was Inferior to the original VA. His voice alone made me cringed just at the sound of it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 09:26:03 PM »
What's the status on Starscream?

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 09:38:50 PM »
Not Sure, Some new dude is doing his VA, as the original VA has passed away

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 09:41:25 PM »

Tell me your joking? The Beast Wars Megs Suked hardcore! I mean, I went wtf when I first heard him speak. He talks to himself and acts redundant. He was Inferior to the original VA. His voice alone made me cringed just at the sound of it.

Well he has a pretty big following so I'm not the only one, the old Megatron made me cringe when I heard him again for the first time in years.

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »

Tell me your joking? The Beast Wars Megs Suked hardcore! I mean, I went wtf when I first heard him speak. He talks to himself and acts redundant. He was Inferior to the original VA.

Ah, I gotcha. So a character trait of BW Megatron proves that David Kaye did a poor job of playing him. But of course.

...Wait a minute. What?

Welker is undoubtedly a legendary performer in the field of voice over, but I honestly never dug the huge amount of graveliness he used in his voice for ol' Megs. From hearing him in a recent video interview, it's noticeably increased a whole lot over time.

I always found it too hard to get over the "Wow. He sorta sounds like he's straining himself." aspect, and much of his line delivery felt very subdued to me as a result. Sure was unique though. I'll give it that.  

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 08:33:26 AM »
He sounds just as good now as he did then. I think Bay was being critical over nothing. You can clearly hear Frank Welker in the end, He sounds damn good then he ever has.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 11:03:11 PM »

He sounds just as good now as he did then. I think Bay was being critical over nothing. You can clearly hear Frank Welker in the end, He sounds damn good then he ever has.

Regardless I think we all should give Hego Weaving a fair chance, I hear he is quite good with voices so we will see. I think fans should be happy they included the original voice of Optimus (Then again I like the Beast Wars one better, though not by much).

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »
Meh, I know Hugo Did Agent Smith from the matrix, but as Meg's... I dunno. That's a tall order there.

I still say Frank Welker's the Best Megatron evar!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »
Here is a really interesting (but short) fan made video of Hugo Weaving's voice put to megatron (taken from V for Vendetta). Sounds awesome IMO.

Here you go

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 08:20:14 AM »
Dunno... Doesn't have the Megatron feel. But it does sound more like the quintissons.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »

Dunno... Doesn't have the Megatron feel. But it does sound more like the quintissons.

Depends what you mean by Megatron feel, there has been more than one megatron with different voice actors.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »
And all made him look like an idiot, the original was superior the the ones to come after. Atleast the original had the voice, the intelligence and cunning (portrayed)

None of the other wannabe Megatrons have yet to impress me. Both in Character and VA.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »

And all made him look like an idiot, the original was superior the the ones to come after. Atleast the original had the voice, the intelligence and cunning (portrayed)

None of the other wannabe Megatrons have yet to impress me. Both in Character and VA.

Beast Machines megatron was not an idiot. G1 Megatron was an idiot, not to mention the whole show was corny as can be.

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »

Beast Machines megatron was not an idiot. G1 Megatron was an idiot, not to mention the whole show was corny as can be.

I actually found that much of Beast Machines' premise was still kinda corny in its own right. =P

...those freakin' spirtual treehuggers.  

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 02:40:07 AM »

Originally posted by: D-Mac Double

I actually found that much of Beast Machines' premise was still kinda corny in its own right. =P

...those freakin' spirtual treehuggers.

Indeed! in Truth, Beast Machines was the worst series of them all. There were plot holes bigger than the grand canyon.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 03:59:58 AM »
I'm going to have to agree with Phoenix. While the original was a better series, I was actually more entertained watching Beast Wars.

And yes, Megatron's voice was better in Beast Wars as well. It wasn't so raspy. The only raspy voice I like is Cobra from G.I. Joe.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 10:19:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
I'm going to have to agree with Phoenix. While the original was a better series, I was actually more entertained watching Beast Wars.

And yes, Megatron's voice was better in Beast Wars as well. It wasn't so raspy. The only raspy voice I like is Cobra from G.I. Joe.

I think people are influenced more from nostalgia when it comes to G1. I've picked up the first two seasons of it, and while they are fun, they still are basically created solely for kids with cliche after cliche. Beast Wars and yes Machines (which I thought was vastly underrated) had some highly creative plots with some relevant moral questions. ANYWAY regardless of what the content of the shows are, we are talking about voice actors, not which Megatron was "dumber" than the other. LIke Requiem said, I just found Megatron's voice to be way too raspy in the original, and much preferred the "deeper" more evil sounding voice of the Beast Wars Megatron.