Author Topic: Mario/Zelda Cartoons coming to DVD... from Sony?!  (Read 6353 times)

Offline D-Mac Double

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario/Zelda Cartoons coming to DVD... from Sony?!
« on: June 17, 2005, 06:17:20 PM »
Source: DS Advanced

"Sony Music is planning on releasing the Legend of Zelda: The Complete Series and The Super Mario Brothers Super Show on DVD coming in October."

Well I must say, I never saw this one coming. I wonder if they've considered releasing it on UMD as well.  That'd just be evil. O_O

I used to wake up real early just to watch the Mario Super Show when I was younger, but I'd always hated/ignored the Zelda show. Nowadays however, I find the Zelda show to be the better one by far, so if I happen to see it DVD for sale anywhere, I'll gladly pick it up.  

I watched an episode of the Mario show online recently and I just... didn't find it very entertaining.

I want my freakin' Samurai Pizza Cats on DVD. How long must I endure this torture?! >=(

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
RE: Mario/Zelda Cartoons coming to DVD... from Sony?!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:41:20 PM »
I vaugly remember both shows.  They were pretty good I guess, and sony releasing them is funny.

As a fellow pizza cats fan, I too have been patiently awaiting a DVD release.  I fear my friend that it will never come.  We should send whoever is responsible to prisoners island.  Even though that place is awesome.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:41:54 PM »
in the meanwhile you can download al lthe zelda episodes from zelda universe
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 10:17:09 PM »
I don't think theY'll put them on UMDs because even Sony Pictures/Music hates the format, too little customer base. They just make a few things for it because the games division is keeping Sony afloat and management probably told them to help SCEJ's struggling handheld.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 01:55:10 PM »
That is funny.  Ironic, even.  

I gather the Nintendo movie studio never went anywhere?  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 06:21:35 PM »

I want my freakin' Samurai Pizza Cats on DVD. How long must I endure this torture?! >=(

As a Pizza Cats Fan, I assume you have probably heard this before, but I figure I should just run down what I know.

"Kyatto Ninden Teyande" was made in Japan by Bandai. Saban re-wrote it into "Samurai Pizza Cats". Bandai owns the show's foundation, but Saban owns the changes that make up "Samurai Pizza Cats", as we know it.

Saban was pretty good about actively keeping the show going on TV, but then Disney bought Saban, and apparently the first thing they did was yank the Pizza Cats from the airwaves, and they haven't been heard from since. If Disney has the Pizza Cats, then they are dead and buried forever. Give up all hope for the Pizza Cats.

The best you can hope for is that Bandai becomes interested in releasing a subtiled version of Kyatto Ninden Teyande in America, which seems very unlikely. And of course, bootlegs of the English version.

However, there are *rumors* saying that right before Saban got eaten by Disney, they sold/gave the rights to the show's changes (normally kept forever) to Bandai. Which could be a part of why it got canned so abruptly. If this is true, then Bandai might just be holding off on releasing the series on DVD. They probably aren't very confident about how well it will do (outside of the desperate hardcore fanbase). Including a subtitled version would increase it's appeal, but SPC was so heavily modified that the English and Japanese versions would be incompatible. They would have to include every episode twice, as two different versions. Which would double the number of DVDs required, and increase the price.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 09:10:24 PM »
Strange, I remember seeing Pizza Cats on TV LONG fter it was supposedly killed. The rights have to be somewhere out there, apparently.

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
RE:Mario/Zelda Cartoons coming to DVD... from Sony?!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 10:35:13 PM »

Originally posted by: TMW
I gather the Nintendo movie studio never went anywhere?

The most recent reports I've seen say Nintendo in planning a film based on one of it's game franchises, set to release sometime in 2006.

This thread has lost all of it's original purpose.

Heh heh, had to write that stuff above so I'm not making a 100% off-topic post. =P
However, being one of the online authories on SPC, I've gotta clarify a few incorrect things...

Kyatto Ninden Teyandee was in fact made by Tatsunoko Production Co. and The Sotsu Agency in the early 1990s, not by Bandai.  Saban soon acquired the rights to Teyandee and the awesomely hilarious "Samurai Pizza Cats" aired in Canada a couple years later. I recall it getting pretty decent showing here, and it was featured in "The Zone" timeslot for a little while.

It hit America on the Saban-owned Fox Family Channel in 1996, but didn't get as much attention and advertising as it should have, with Power Rangers being absolutely HUGE at the time.  I believe it stopped airing on both YTV and Fox Family in 1997, and hasn't aired in North America since.

An official video tape was released sometime ago, entitled "SPC: The Movie", but it only contained the first episode, in addtion to the final two.

Indeed, In mid 2001, Disney/ABC purchased the Fox Family Channel, Saban International, and all of it's properties (Pizza Cats, Digimon, Power Rangers, etc), and they were dissolved into Buena Vista Entertainment. However, SPC had already been off the air for quite some time, so it wasn't Disney who yanked it from the airwaves.

Now here's what really gets me confused, and sorta bitter...

"Samouraï Pizza Cats" aired in France fairly recently, 2000-2001  I believe. One of the last countries to air the show.

In early 2004, France received an official DVD box set from a company known as "Déclic Images", containing 26 of the 52 episodes Saban had dubbed. A year later, guess what? The remaining 26 episodes are released in a second box set!

It's got me totally confused, as I'd thought Disney/Buena Vista owned all the non-Japanese incarnations of the show, and they haven't really seemed like they planned to do much with it.

Oh well, what I'd said originally was just wishful thinking, and I don't really expect an official English DVD to happen, but if France got one somehow, I suppose there's always a slight, slight chance.

For now there's a bootleg English DVD available, and most every English episode is now downloadable online, but I won't be linking to them.

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 11:29:44 AM »
We should just make a pizza cat thread.  Is the french DVD in French? Or english?  Does anyone know the quality of the bootleg, and furthermore, where to obtain it?  Am I even allowed to ask?  If only I had high speed internet, then I could just download them and make my own.

I miss pizza cats...

roflcopters to sony releasing Mario cartoons.
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 02:59:24 AM »
Is the french DVD in French?

Weeeeeeelll.... France dislikes English. French kids wouldn't understand English anyway. What do you think are the chances?

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:01:46 AM »
I'm not really sure how much I can get away with posting here, so anyone wants to send me a PM or AIM message about Pizza Cats, I will answer all questions!  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 10:43:24 AM »

Originally posted by: D-Mac Double
I'm not really sure how much I can get away with posting here, so anyone wants to send me a PM or AIM message, I will answer all questions!

Where do babies come from?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 02:16:38 PM »
Oh, a wise guy, eh?

Just for that... no dinner.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 10:05:16 PM »
Where do babies come from?

You usually find them in Reggie's trash bin when he didn't eat up.

Offline Shedemei

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 10:38:52 PM »
Do you all remember the Super Mario Bros movie they did?
The One Who Was Never Burried - SHEDEMEI

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 10:54:33 PM »
Mario & Zelda on PSP!!!???
Killer APP!!!! Killer APP!!!!                                                                                              
   [/sarcasm]

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 12:42:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Shedemei
Do you all remember the Super Mario Bros movie they did?

I don't want to....but yes i do....
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 08:42:21 AM »
You know, there are a lot of cartoons I used to love as a kid coming out on DVD, but most of the time, I just can't bear to part with $50 to buy them.  This is a perfect example, I'd like to see the old shows again, but it's been so long since I've seen them that I can't remember if they were any good.  I'm fairly certain they weren't, so there's no way I'm going to pay more than $20 for this box set.  I guess I'll have to check them out online.

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 04:43:22 AM »
The French DVDs are probably smelly and dishonorable anyway.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42