Author Topic: The Sky Crawlers To Retail for $29.99  (Read 3199 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
The Sky Crawlers To Retail for $29.99
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:54:09 AM »
Xseed's upcoming air combat game for Wii is coming out on January 12, featuring an innovative control scheme and reversible box art.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20576

Xseed's The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces, a Wii-exclusive title, is heading to stores on January 12 for a retail price of $29.99.    

The Project ACES team, of Ace Combat fame, is developing the title, which features a unique control scheme that has players use the Nunchuk as a flight control stick and the Wii Remote as the throttle.    

Based on the Japanese novel series and recent animated film, The Sky Crawlers puts players into the shoes of a rookie who has just joined the titular group of pilots. The story is told through voiced animated cut-scenes and sequences during battle.    

XSEED Games Confirms Ship Date for The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces    

XSEED Games is pleased to announce today the North American ship date for the upcoming Wii™ exclusive release, The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces. The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces will start shipping to retailers across the country January 12th, 2010 for the suggested retail price of $29.99.    

The somber story of a world that needs war to survive, based on a novel series by Hiroshi MORI and adapted into an animated film directed by Mamoru Oshii and released by Sony Pictures in the US, is told with a combination of animated cut-scenes and voiced in-game sequences during battle. Players take on the role of a rookie pilot new to the combat pilot group known as the Sky Crawlers.  Dog-fighting simulation and flight is mirrored by a unique gameplay mechanic; players hold the Nunchuk™ in the right hand as the flight control stick, tilted to roll, pitch, and yaw, while the Wii Remote™, acting as the throttle, is held in the left hand and is tilted up to accelerate and down to decelerate.    

The Wii exclusive air combat game was developed by the Project ACES team of Ace Combat fame and is rated T for Teen.  The retail release comes with reversible cover art so that fans of the animated movie may flip the cover to reveal the same front boxart as the Japanese release.  Fans are encouraged to visit the newly launched official site at www.skycrawlersinnocentaces.com

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The Sky Crawlers To Retail for $29.99
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »
Sweet, I already have this pre-ordered, so I feel like I have an extra $10 in my pocket.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »
I'll probably be picking this up a lot sooner now, like with my first post-holiday splurge versus a month or two down the road.

I wonder if this will help boost sales from people curious about the game. I know the story is niche but the gameplay could pull in more players.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »
That is some mean pricing there. I guess the licensing and development costs were low enough to support such it. Also, yay for reversible cover art. It's a useless extra, but I welcome it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, sales of Rune Factory Frontier (and Little King's Story too?) had a relatively good boost when the price was reduced to $30. Could this be the reason they chose to launch this one at $30?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »
Dragon Master Spell Caster was considered a total failure because it used the Nunchuk like a flightstick and the responsiveness was arse...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »
I know Aaron (megabyte) didn't have much bad to say about the controls when he played it back in September. Because of the low price, this is on my radar now.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
There are three control levels, which should make everybody happy.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »
James has a final version of the game and thinks the controls are fine, after an initial learning curve.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 02:41:10 AM »
Very nice price. It is going to be hard picking between this,No More Heroes:Desperate Struggle and Tatsunoko VS Capcom.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 02:55:30 AM »
I'm looking forward to Crimm's review.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
I would be willing to pay for a base that has a sphere inlaid inside of it with a nunchuck hookup at the top of the sphere. In this way, if the game were to use wii motion plus, you could effectively have a cheap flight stick. If they wanted to get really fancy, the nunchuck hookup that would keep the wiimote attached to the base could also pass information through to a nunchuck attached to the side of the base, allowing for extra control.

I don't know if this would work out very well with the level of sensitivity that the wii has, but a solution like this would be cool.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »
Charging less for a late localization?  Why, XSEED must be the Anti-Activision!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.