Author Topic: NWR Staff's Favorite 10 Games of 2011  (Read 10612 times)

Offline finchiekins

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Staff's Favorite 10 Games of 2011
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »
This is a good list! Switch Force is way good, and i agree SM3DLand is fantastic.
I love Radiant Historia, but i also have to say the late enemies are WAY too tough. I was actually cringing whenever i ran into one, because it'd usually be when i missed the initial hit. The punishment for getting into a surprise battle is too strict. I do not want to wait for enemy turns. Even the regular battles (without the player getting the initiative) would frequently only give Stocke a turn first. The good thing was that it really made the player use his or her abilities strategically, but sometimes it just isn't fun.
3DS Friend Code: 0259-0305-2221

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
After hearing a few staff members voicing their displeasure over Mighty Switch Force I am surprised it made this list, especially over Pushmo. I really feel that Pushmo was the best Nintendo game to come this year, over even Zelda. I am a die hard Zelda fan boy (I bought the 3DS one before I even knew IF I was getting the system so I could get the soundtrack) and I feel Skyward Sword is garbage. If I ever meet whoever decided that harp mini game was a good idea I will probably end up in prison.

Meanwhile I have been loving Pushmo, I can honestly say I could have bought the 3DS just for it and been happy. Shame it did not make the list, but oh well.

Offline JRokujuushi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
Are you playing the game in a brightly lit room? I've heard that can interfere with the controls; otherwise, they've worked like a charm for me.

I heard about the IR issues, so I jammed a bit of cardboard under the Wii remote condom to cover the IR sensor.  At one point when I was flying the beetle, I was trying to make a slight turn to the right and the beetle made a noticeable turn of about 30 degrees to the right.  It worked properly after I recalibrated it again, but that just goes to show the IR sensor isn't the only thing causing problems.

Also, I've noticed that there have been many times when I've tried moving the sword into position to swing it, but I move it so fast that it registers as a swing, and it doesn't register my intended swing because Link's still in the middle of his swing animation.  Honestly, it's quite annoying.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »
Nice to see Spyro getting some love. Yes, the game figures are a terrible rip off. I'm not convinced that the content isn't entirely on the disc, and you are just paying exorbitant prices to unlock what most developers give away.

But as toys the expansion characters are very well made, are a cool way to store and transport your in-game progress, and perfectly capture the collectible fever that kids (even grown-up kids) love to indulge in. If the Skylanders games weren't so well done I'd have a very hard being so positive about this obvious cash grab... but they are well done and worth playing.

Between this and DJ Hero, it's almost enough to make me regret my comments about Activision being by far the worst publisher of crap this generation.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »
I must admit I was unsure on Skylanders, but my son loved them and my mom got the game and a few figures for him for Christmas. He loves and after playing it with him so do I. My only complaints are that you can not find the figures anyway right now, they are completely sold out. Also that they put rare silver "chase" ones into the mix, which makes adults buy them up and act worse than the kids. Great game though.

Offline hoho23

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
I'm so happy. I had bought Skyword sword and 4 hours into the game my wii didn't want to read discs any longer. Today i inserted the game for one last try on my launch day Wii and to my pessimism it displayed the Zelda SS art and play game button. So glad I can finally get back into it and not have to cringe when my friends and the NWR podcast staff speak about the game without me being able to play it.

Offline Eyothrie

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
Xenoblade was well worth the hassle of importing.  It was my favorite game of 2011.  You guys that haven't played it yet are really in for a treat
RTR!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
I'm so happy. I had bought Skyword sword and 4 hours into the game my wii didn't want to read discs any longer. Today i inserted the game for one last try on my launch day Wii and to my pessimism it displayed the Zelda SS art and play game button. So glad I can finally get back into it and not have to cringe when my friends and the NWR podcast staff speak about the game without me being able to play it.
This happened to me too. I swear Zelda SS is bad for old Wiis. It only happened after we started playing SS.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »
So not fair that you can't find Radiant Historia for a price that doesn't involve taking on a second mortgage. Why didn't I buy it the day it was $20 on Amazon. DOH!

Wikipedia says a reprint of this game is coming out in March 2012. Of course since this is Wikipedia someone might have just put that there without it being true, but at least it gives some hope anyway.
is your sanity...

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
Take the Wikipedia note about a planned reprint (which was: made by a user whose only other edits were made in 2010 about Phineas and Ferb, removed due to a lack of sourcing, and apparently more "in the know" than the official Atlus forums) with a massive grain of salt.

The game is still out there for between $30-40 if you look around at retail outlets. Keep your eyes open and grab one if you have the chance.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Its backordered, and I wonder if Best Buy will even get in a new shipment.  I was under the impression that the bundle with the CD was first print only

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  A lot of people on the CAG forums apparently had issues with Best Buy cancelling a lot of orders from Black Friday.  I ordered one just in case but I'm not really expecting it to ever come.

Atlus mentioned a reprint on their twitter, and according to other NWR users preorders are showing up for online retailers. *fingers crossed*