Author Topic: I Am Moving  (Read 8179 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:I Am Moving
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Probably smells like fish from the farmer's market.

I LOVE that smell. /sighs happily
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 12:40:50 PM »
Does your new home have beautiful wood-paneled walls, like your old one, or have you downgraded to a place with painted plaster?
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
RE: I Am Moving
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 03:01:29 PM »
I don't have a new place yet, as I'm staying with friends temporarily. Hopefully when I do find a place I will be once again luxuriantly bombarded with wood paneling. (My last place felt like a log cabin since it wasn't wood paneled, it was all real wood.)
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »
Dude, props on the move.  Portland rocks.  I grew up down in Hood River, and lived in Beaverton for a few years.  I love it up there.  I recently moved down to LA to pursue film, but if there was any sort of film business going on up there you know that's where I'd be.  If you need suggestions or recommendations of places to stay hit me up man.  My bro is starting at PLU in a few weeks as well, so that's cool.  Also congrats on the writing gig.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 04:21:13 AM »

Originally posted by: MattVDB
Dude, props on the move.  Portland rocks.  I grew up down in Hood River, and lived in Beaverton for a few years.  I love it up there.  I recently moved down to LA to pursue film, but if there was any sort of film business going on up there you know that's where I'd be.  If you need suggestions or recommendations of places to stay hit me up man.  My bro is starting at PLU in a few weeks as well, so that's cool.  Also congrats on the writing gig.

Pacific Luthern University? I dropped out of that college after my first year. Hated it!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »
Portland has a pretty impressive array of film talent, obviously Gus Van Sant and Todd Haynes; movies are made here all the time, though not as much as LA; there are tons of independent theatres (that serve beer and pizza) that show excellent movies; Portland State University has its own movie theatre run by students, and they show awesome movies too.

I actually moved here FOR movies, as well as everything else.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
Portland has a pretty impressive array of film talent, obviously Gus Van Sant and Todd Haynes; movies are made here all the time, though not as much as LA; there are tons of independent theatres (that serve beer and pizza) that show excellent movies; Portland State University has its own movie theatre run by students, and they show awesome movies too.

I actually moved here FOR movies, as well as everything else.

Oh noes, a place for pimply face young adults to analyze the symbolic meaning behind movies.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
Beats analyzing the flaws of posters on a message board, though.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Beats analyzing the flaws of posters on a message board, though.

Unless they are ignorant.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
That's an ignorant way of looking at things.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »
Not if you look at things upside down!
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
Oregon's got Bruce Campbell, but other than that... meh?

Gus Van Sant? DO NOT WANT.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »
I will give Oregon one thing. it has the Goonies. The Goonies man, the GOONIES!

Sloth love Chunk!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 07:10:30 PM »

there are tons of independent theatres (that serve beer and pizza) that show excellent movies

There's only one independent theater near me, and it's about 45 minutes away...however, it's the greatest theater in the world, and it serves more than just pizza and alcohol..
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 06:46:57 PM »
I'll give you that.  Portland does have a lot of film talent, I'll give you that.  What I've seen Portland lacks though is the infrastructure.  There are plenty of post houses all over the place, sure.  What I had issue with in Portland was the limited selection of locations of which to get gear from.  There is essentially one.  Also, Oregon's film office isn't very helpful or informative.  Now, it's perfectly possible to get around these issues, but it wasn't for me.  I'm more of the filmmaker, and less of the producer.  I didn't have any producing friends, and that made everything more difficult for me.  Props on the move though, I've made plenty of fun films around those parts.  And it certainly is beautiful around there.

The variety of locations is certainly one thing I am missing down here though.  All within an hour or two from Portland are deserts, beaches, snow scapes, forests, fields, and underground caverns.  Me?  Well, I've got palm trees.

And whoops, my bad.  I didn't mean PLU (although I do have friends who attend) I meant PSU.  I'll have him send me some of the articles you've written.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
A friend of mine just moved to Klamath Falls. I weep for her fate.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »
I'm bumping this not to make a big deal out of recent events, but just to let you know since I made a big deal out of leaving in the first place: I didn't stay in Portland longer than a month - it didn't work out, and moved back about a week and a half ago. No biggie, I'm home. I'm trying to minimize. Portland's beautiful, you should visit. I'll be back soon I'm sure.

The main culprit? Money. Life is expensive, and unexpected.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
Ugh, that's really unfortunate.. hope everything turns out.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2007, 03:38:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Svevan. Keep your spirits up... I've moved to a new city before (cross country, where I knew no one)... if there are two things that moving successfully takes, they are:

1) Lots of determination, and
2) A good deal of luck.

At least, that's the recipe as I saw it. So (and please excuse the clichĂ©), don't give up. If you want it badly enough, you'll get back there.    
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)