Author Topic: Mighty Switch Force! Impressions  (Read 4505 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Mighty Switch Force! Impressions
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:15:08 AM »

Five girls, one cop.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/28691

Mighty Switch Force is WayForward's third "Mighty" title and its first eShop game. As is tradition for the company, the game is female-centric. MSF is a puzzle platformer where players control Patricia Wagon, a robot cop sent to recapture the five Hooligan Sisters, a set of provocative, but apparently bad girls. The girls don't put up any fight; they just hang out in inconvenient places waiting to be shipped back to jail. After picking up the Sisters, Patricia must make her way to a transport to be sent to the next stage.

Patricia is equipped with a basic gun and a special helmet, which phases blocks in and out of existence. Levels are particularly designed around this latter ability and they come in all shapes from linear to square. The game includes a radar to direct players to the next girl. The stages include a variety of enemies, some of which must be manipulated into helping you reach certain areas (for example, by exploding and clearing barriers).

The first block type simply phases in and out of existence, acting as platforms (and destroying anything occupying their space), while the second type launches the player or enemies in a particular direction when activated. Level six introduces lockable blocks, which really starts to get you thinking. Two sets of blocks phase, and you can lock one set in place by standing on them, so that the two sets are either in sync or opposite with each other. This ups the trickiness factor in navigating stages.

WayForward spent more time focus testing MSF than the previous Mighty titles (the quirks mentioned earlier are gone), and the result is a more accessible game (though it helps that it's a more traditional action platformer). The game is very easy to pick up and play, and each successive level introduces new concepts smoothly without beating players over the head, leaving them with the chance of rewarding "eureka" moments. Levels include both logic and timing based puzzles that must be solved in order to access all of the areas and capture the girls.

Mighty Switch Force is a highly polished game. The detailed pixel art and animation and the exceptional soundtrack aren't a surprise coming from this developer, but the result is still fantastic. A 2D game, the use of stereoscopic 3D is limited, but effective.

With only sixteen levels, my biggest concern is with the length of the game. An initial playthrough will probably be on the order of an hour. However, players are encouraged to speed-run levels, and the game includes a par time as well as keeping a record of best times.

Mighty Switch Force provides a nice twist on the puzzle platformer and features an excellent presentation. The game launches on December 22, and I look forward to picking it up then.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Mighty Switch Force! Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
With only fifteen levels, my biggest concern is with the length of the game. An initial playthrough will probably be on the order of an hour. However, players are encouraged to speed-run levels, and the game includes a par time as well as keeping a record of best times.

Any chance of this being Street Pass data? I really like the times in Super Mario 3D land. Combined with ghosts of Mario Kart 7 and this could be a nice feature.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
I am in love with this art style!

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
hmmmm....Buying it!
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »
That subheadline is dirty. 

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »
how long it is isnt a problem if the price is right, $10 maybe, but histotry says
$12, not sure at that price, as pushmo has 250 puzzles for $7

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
WayForward has said it will be $6, I believe.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
There seemed to be some confusion regarding the length of the game. After playing it yesterday, the initial game took me a little under 2 hours, and getting stars on every level (beating par time) took me a little under 5. I'll still probably play the game again to get even better times. In any case, the game is excellent and absolutely well-worth it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
Sad that there's no real reward for beating the par times, but it is an incredible game. Stay tuned for a review!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
I love this game. I'm having so much fun with it that I don't need any extra incentive to get stars on everything.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
Yea, the reward is playing the levels to perfection.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"