Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 229217 times)

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
I knew that Germany was a tough team, but dang. Howard has been working his butt off!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I didn't get to see the action of the game I had to follow 2 separate blogs so I ended up watching the game through Mostly statistics.  Portugal and a good goalie is the only reason we are making it.  Germany could have literally not had a Goalie and the outcome would have been the same.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
It wasn't always pretty, but we got through the group of death despite losing our best striker 20 minutes into the tournament and getting three straight mediocre performances out of our best player. If we get Jozy back in time for the next game and Michael Bradley gets back to his usual form this is a team that could make a real run.

Single elimination here on in. Not necessarily about the best team, but who's clicking at the right time. Under those circumstances anyone could win four straight.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 05:50:47 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

I think it's funny how all the South American teams found themselves in the same bracket. On another note, I was hoping for Chilean style upset today. Also, Colombia is the tournament's dark horse.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The broadcaster up here gave Man of the Match for Brazil/Chile to Julio CĂ©sar; I suspect they only did that because goalposts aren't eligible.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:39:09 AM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I loved the matches today. Uruguay and Colombia were crazy intense.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Michael Bradley calls Belgium “one of the best teams in Europe,” goes on to say “but this ain’t Europe, so prepare to get wrecked Western Hemisphere style.”

J.P. Corbran

Mexico might just tip over the dutch! This most certainly ain't Europe!  :cool;

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Couldn't have said it better myself...

I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
And I thought Mexico had this one...
My Game Collection

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Most depressing game of the tournament thus far.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
As I always say, any call that goes against Mexico is a good call, but damn.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Really, though, Rafa Marquez has to be aware of his (wholly deserved) reputation in that moment and realize that he's never going to get the benefit of the doubt on a close call. He can't put himself in that position.

J.P. Corbran

And Arjen Robben is still one of the biggest floppers in the game......I know there was contact but Im not sure if I would've called that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
One of the people I saw argued it should be both a penalty and a yellow for embellishment, which sounds about right to me. It was a clear dive, but Marquez came in late and there was contact, just not as much as he made it look.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
The only penalties that should be called are a blatant missed tackle and a handball. PERIOD. They are simply too important.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It's a shitty situation either way. No matter which way he calls it he'll get criticized heavily and he'll probably second-guess himself forever.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
It's a 1-1 tie in the 93rd minute. As a Ref, he should know that this call basically decides the game. So unless it is hard to NOT call it, then let the game play out as it should.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
The game yesterday with Colombia and Uruguay was one of the most entertaining games I have watched in part because there was a noticeable decline in the number of calls based on "floppers". They just tumbled and hopped back up or everyone ignored them and kept playing. It was a refreshing change of pace. Though it did seem to be one of the most physical games I've watched.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It's a 1-1 tie in the 93rd minute. As a Ref, he should know that this call basically decides the game. So unless it is hard to NOT call it, then let the game play out as it should.

There's also the argument that there was a play that absolutely should have given a penalty to the Netherlands earlier in the match that wasn't called, which may have factored into the call.

As someone who hates Mexico and its fans, I guess I'm biased in regard to this call, but it seems to me like a 50-50 call. I can see the argument for it being a penalty, and I can see it for it not being one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Couldn't have said it better myself...

What a retard.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Jozy Altidore is ready to return. He scored in four straight games last June; how about July this year?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
So for the people who would actually know what are our chances like against Belgium?  Just doing a quick look at there stats they seem pretty strong.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It depends on who you ask, but I'm seeing a fair number of analysts going as far as to say we might not even want to consider us underdogs. Belgium's good, and a trendy pick, but somewhat unproven. They'll also be missing at least one key piece for this game, unless something changes in the next 24 hours.

J.P. Corbran

Not surprised. We still have a long way to go. Kudos to Klinnsman for bleeding some young talent though!