Author Topic: Retro City Rampage Delayed  (Read 3859 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Retro City Rampage Delayed
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »

Game will launch on XBLA next summer, with the WiiWare version following in the fall.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24594

Originally expected to release near the end of this year, Retro City Rampage has been delayed on WiiWare until fall 2011. The Retro City Rampage developers announced that the game is also coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade first, in summer 2011, and will include additional HD and Xbox LIVE content.

Unlike technical problems that ultimately prevented Super Meat Boy from launching on WiiWare, it appears that Retro City Rampage will still make it to the service despite the challenges involved in being an independent developer. Brian Provinciano, founder of Vblank Entertainment, sent us the following message:

"It's very crushing to see the reaction of the Wii fans towards the delay. I can't get into details but have done absolutely everything possible to ensure the multi-platform release impacted Wii fans as minimally as possible. Us smaller developers don't have the same opportunities as the large publishers, specifically in regards to simultaneous cross platform releases. There was no payoff, no money exchanged for any sort of exclusivity, Retro City Rampage is still 100% self-funded. It's simply the result of a downside of being the little guy.

"The additional content for the Xbox LIVE Arcade version of RCR which is not included in the Wii release is ENTIRELY content which is only possible on Xbox. It's only that which specifically uses certain functionality that the Wii does not have. The Wii version will still contain the entire game and everything that is not HD or Xbox LIVE related."

Retro City Rampage was always destined to be a multi-platform release, and timed exclusives are not uncommon in the downloadable space. This is especially frequent on Microsoft's service, on which the company pursues a policy aimed at fostering such exclusives. Recently, Hydrophobia had a two-month exclusivity on Microsoft's service. Even games with large publishers, such as Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light (Eidos), and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled (Konami) have had similar exclusivity deals. According to Amanita Design, Microsoft barred their critically acclaimed PC title, Machinarium, from XBLA after failing to work out some form of exclusivity agreement.

Unlike on Nintendo's Shop Channels, Microsoft prohibits self-publishing on XBLA. This can put independent developers in a difficult position as Microsoft dictates publishing terms. For example, Team Meat notes that they are prohibited from releasing Super Meat Boy on PlayStation Network due to their publishing agreement with Microsoft, and Twisted Pixel revealed similar limits. According to comments by Frozen Codebase, Microsoft has suggested that independent developers find an alternative publisher in order to get onto the service, but such action is fraught with its own difficulties, including reduced share in revenue.

Provinciano has said that he put all of his retirement savings into the effort. He explains that "in order to continue making these games and not have to start flipping burgers after Retro City Rampage is done, it needed to be multi-platform."

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Retro City Rampage Delayed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
Wow, WiiWare is really taking it up the @$$ lately.

EDIT: Actually, not all that surprised.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 04:40:23 PM by OneTwenty »

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
This sort of news is going to make gamers talk smack about whatever system or service. Hopefully in the future small developers' voices will be louder and have more leverage space as far as releases go.
Needless to say that if I can't play this because of some backwards assery I will be seriously upset.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »
The sad part is Nintendo SHOULD LEARN FROM THIS, but they won't. They just placed a ROM from almost 15 years ago on disk and sold millions (mario all stars) so they don't care about 3rd party relations because they still making money doing their own thing.

Offline peacefulwar

• Localization isn't censorship
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
Just find it extremely ironic that a game that basically celebrates the entire NES era is going to be on the 360 first.  Tell me the logic in that?  :(

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »
If this game suffers the same fate as Super Meat Boy then I am going to be really pissed off.  ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
Do you people have no backlog whatsoever?

The game is delayed so personally I am going to go back and get some games that I missed out on this year and maybe replay some that I have currently. A delay is just going to give me a chance to play more games than I otherwise wouldn't if a month was packed with games I couldn't afford at the time.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »
Just find it extremely ironic that a game that basically celebrates the entire NES era is going to be on the 360 first.  Tell me the logic in that?  :(

People who play 360 still could have played the NES.

I see your point, but just because a game celebrates retro gaming doesn't mean it can't debut on a system that doesn't have a rich history.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 12:20:41 AM »

People who play 360 still could have played the NES.

I see your point, but just because a game celebrates retro gaming doesn't mean it can't debut on a system that doesn't have a rich history.

Yeah, but since the other two services get titles that never come out on Wiiware then the Wii should this game first.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 01:28:47 AM »
Actually, I'd bet that people who'd have nostalgia for games like this and would be likely to buy it are more likely to own a 360 than a Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 04:51:07 AM »
The time discrepancy makes me wonder what's up. The difference is purely in the code which shouldn't take THAT long to port, all the assets should be done already. He says no payoff but he doesn't say no coercion. Maybe MS said "make that XBLA exclusive for a while or we won't give you a licence and good luck getting sales on XBLIG?"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
It could also mean Microsoft promising to hype the game as much as they can, which is technically not a payoff since MS wouldn't be giving them money.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
and will include additional HD and Xbox LIVE content.

Isn't that blasphemy for a so-called retro game to be in HD and have "Live content"? Real retro games were not that way. At the very least it is oxymoronic.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »
Actually, I'd bet that people who'd have nostalgia for games like this and would be likely to buy it are more likely to own a 360 than a Wii.

Why? Microsoft didn't make the old consoles that retro games were on. Nintendo did, and they're the only ones still in the hardware business.

ETA: sorry for the double post.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
The sad part is Nintendo SHOULD LEARN FROM THIS, but they won't. They just placed a ROM from almost 15 years ago on disk and sold millions (mario all stars) so they don't care about 3rd party relations because they still making money doing their own thing.
They suffered two generations of awful third party support, have people talking smack about their current system (valid and not) and it's part of their 700 problems they currently have.

Bitch about Wiiware sizes and whatever, but the Wii's current set-up cannot handle it. If anything, the 3DS was made for third parties in mind, and what we're seeing right now is mind blowing.

Nintendo cares, really, they just have 700 problems. ;D
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?