Author Topic: Warren Spector: 'This is the best-looking Wii game ever'  (Read 4208 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Warren Spector: 'This is the best-looking Wii game ever'
« on: November 12, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »

Warren Spector is more than pleased with Epic Mickey.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24444

In an interview with MCV, Warren Spector expressed his thoughts regarding the development of the game. He first commented about creating games towards a family audience, reciting the Disney and Pixar ideals of creating family films. "Adults and kids love Toy Story, Ratatouille and Up", explained Spector to MVC. "That’s something games rarely manage: that appeal to both adults and children simultaneously."

When further asked about the title, Spector told MCV that he was more than pleased with the end result, exclaiming at the end that "This is the best-looking Wii game ever. I think graphically it hits a bar that the best Disney stuff has to hit. I think that will appeal to people."

Regarding handling an icon like Mickey Mouse, Spector explains that the development team had to consult Disney several times to see if their interpretation of the character did the company justice. He deemed it as being "creative responsibility".

When concluding the interview, MCV asked Spector about Epic Mickey's player choices and how it affects the outcome of the game. He mentions that while the choices in the game aren't the same as in Deus Ex, the idea of choice and their consequences is something that they have been experimenting with for 20 years. "It's accumulated wisdom," he mentions.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
Re: Warren Spector
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:14 PM »
Hopefully the game runs at a constant 60 frames per second, or at least 30 frames per second with no slowdown.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Warren Spector: 'This is the best-looking Wii game ever'
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
No offense to Mr. Spector as I understand that Epic Mickey is basically his dream project and that it's amazing that it is coming to life. But now he is reaching James Cameron territory with these statements. I'll give him that Epic Mickey does look good, especially in the animation department where clearly a lot of work went into. The game worlds also look creative, taking advantage of the Disney license. But THE best-looking Wii game ever? I am sure Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Muramasa, A Boy and his Blob and a ton of other graphically impressive titles are competing for that title.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »
No offense to Mr. Spector as I understand that Epic Mickey is basically his dream project and that it's amazing that it is coming to life. But now he is reaching James Cameron territory with these statements. I'll give him that Epic Mickey does look good, especially in the animation department where clearly a lot of work went into. The game worlds also look creative, taking advantage of the Disney license. But THE best-looking Wii game ever? I am sure Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Muramasa, A Boy and his Blob and a ton of other graphically impressive titles are competing for that title.

There's no competition. Kirby is the clear winner.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
DOH! I knew I forgot a game. Yes, Epic Yarn is a huge contender for best graphics on the Wii. Speaking of Good Feel, Wario Land Shake it was also had pretty good graphics, especially since they were hand drawn sprites. Oh yes, the upcoming Donkey Kong Country Returns also looks fantastic and creative.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »
Do not forget Monster Hunter Tri. That game is one of the best looking Wii games that I have seen. I am now convinced that the Wii is no longer just an SD console, but some where in between SD and HD graphics. I am curious to see if any of these games could be made on the Gamecube?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:00:20 PM »
Meanwhile, back in Austin, Texas, Retro Studios is having a good laugh over this quote.  Honestly, at this point I really wish that Warren Spector would just shut up and let the game speak for itself.  The game has enough issues with Peter Molineux-esque promises I have an unfortunate feeling it's not going to deliver on.

I am now convinced that the Wii is no longer just an SD console, but some where in between SD and HD graphics.

I was going to write something sarcastic and condescending, but I think the absurdity of this quote speaks for itself.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:26:19 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
It's certainly an unsubstantiated claim, he'd be a lot better off if he simply said something along the lines of "One of the..."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:18 AM »
I am now convinced that the Wii is no longer just an SD console, but some where in between SD and HD graphics.

I was going to write something sarcastic and condescending, but I think the absurdity of this quote speaks for itself.

It's ED, he's speaking the truth!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
For his own sake, Spector needs to realise that blanket statements such as this get him nowhere. The higher he shoots, the further Epic Mickey will fall if these unfounded comments turn out to false glorification. I've only seen videos of the game, but it seems to fall short of several other Wii titles in the graphics department, some of which have already been mentioned in the thread.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 03:20:24 AM »

It's ED, he's speaking the truth!

Bah, ED is/was a nonsense resolution (even the RFN crew's laughed at it a few times) and everyone knew it back in the GC days when it was "invented" (iirc).  It's not that much better than standard definition, and I doubt that's even what Kytim meant in his usual fanboy gushing.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21:36 AM »
Actually, call me crazy, but I get what Ktym is trying to say. Yes, the Wii isn't the greatest system in terms of graphical power. However, it is no slouch either. It basically takes a team that is actually dedicated and willing to create the best graphics on the Wii despite hardware limitations. The games that have been mentioned so far are proof that the Wii can be graphically stunning with the right people on-board.

That doesn't mean that its as good as an HD machine, but can still be a looker when it wants to.

Oh yes, something I forgot to mention earlier. Spector also mentioned about how there isn't a big family market for games. I would agree with him if not for one thing... NINTENDO.

Hell, even if you go back to the days of Pong gaming WAS seen as a family activity. Nintendo created the FAMILY Computer in Japan, a great chunk of games was sold to families, some were even labeled as TOYS. It's true that later in the 80s and 90s when console gaming and arcade gaming were at their respective peaks, gaming was developing into the niche we know today, especially on the PS3 and 360. But even then there were games aimed at families, especially now on the Wii with games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

The Wii's family approach was successful enough that Sony and MS had to create their own methods of attracting families towards their systems. If you want an example of a franchise that has been receiving praise from kids and adults alike, there's Mario, especially the main platforming games. They are praised as being challenging enough for an adult to enjoy but easy enough that a kid can play through it.

So Spector's belief that Epic Mickey might break through that family game barrier is silly, especially since Nintendo has been creating it for a while now.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »
So Spector's belief that Epic Mickey might break through that family game barrier is silly, especially since Nintendo has been creating it for a while now.

To be fair he stated they RARELY break through, and frankly that is true with most games developed outside of Nintendo's games, ESPECIALLY on Wii, where most 3rd party efforts of high quality have bombed. Other games either lean heavily towards one side or the other. I think his quote may be taken out of context and he would have no problem accepting that Nintendo games bridge the different age groups, heck he is a self proclaimed Nintendo fanboi himself. The trouble with interviews, especially with Spector, is you give so many of them that you can misspeak and you seldom get a chance to clarify.

Warren comes across as someone very excited with what he has created. I'm not going to hold his enthusiasm against him, in fact it makes me more anxious for the game because he does seem to care a lot about it. Besides opinions on visually nice looking games vary, as they should because games attempt different things and art styles with their visuals. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are beautiful games but they also were more linear as well when it came to level design, so they didn't have to do a ton with the visuals as a more open ended platformer with more going on.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:06:24 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »
Well, no one can say that Spector isn't doing his part to promote, hype or sell the merits of Epic Mickey to people.  It is, after all, part of his job.  I'm sure there is a fair amount of pressure on him to ensure that the game does succeed, so I don't blame him for talking it up. 

Hyperbole or not, I have no doubt that Epic Mickey will fall into the upper tier of Wii games in terms of artistic style.  At a certain points, when it comes to comparing games that look as beautiful as Galaxy, DKCR, Metroid Prime 3, it's really sort of a judgement call.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »
Well, no one can say that Spector isn't doing his part to promote, hype or sell the merits of Epic Mickey to people.  It is, after all, part of his job.  I'm sure there is a fair amount of pressure on him to ensure that the game does succeed, so I don't blame him for talking it up. 

Hyperbole or not, I have no doubt that Epic Mickey will fall into the upper tier of Wii games in terms of artistic style.  At a certain points, when it comes to comparing games that look as beautiful as Galaxy, DKCR, Metroid Prime 3, it's really sort of a judgement call.

Exactly, visuals are always a judgment call when you have a great looking and/or artistic game.  Spector loves what he created and while he can sometimes be over the top, I think it is genuine excitement, he loves Nintendo and loves Disney. It is nothing like Molyneux who gets excited then when the game is almost out shuts up because they couldn't include half the things he promised (Still think he is a talented game designer and I appreciate his enthusiasm as well but wish he would stand by his games more around launch time).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:29:30 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
I dont know about "best", but it looks really good. I'm looking forward to this game a lot and really hope the game reviews well.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
Some one should start two polss for the best looking first party Wii game and one for the best looking third party Wii game and then have the two finalists square off for suprmacy.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 01:03:06 AM »
To be fair he stated they RARELY break through, and frankly that is true with most games developed outside of Nintendo's games, ESPECIALLY on Wii, where most 3rd party efforts of high quality have bombed.
I would argue the 'high quality' part. Not alot of third party games never really came close to Mario Galaxy levels of quality. Some were very good, but great? ...Not really, but there were some gems through the trash.

MadWorld is not one of them.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
To be fair he stated they RARELY break through, and frankly that is true with most games developed outside of Nintendo's games, ESPECIALLY on Wii, where most 3rd party efforts of high quality have bombed.
I would argue the 'high quality' part. Not alot of third party games never really came close to Mario Galaxy levels of quality. Some were very good, but great? ...Not really, but there were some gems through the trash.

MadWorld is not one of them.

I said most third party games of high quality have bombed. Meaning that the games that were high quality games from 3rd parties did poorly, not that most 3rd party games have been high quality.

Some examples are Red Steel 2, Zach and Wiki, Boom Blox 2, A Boy and His Blob, Little King's Story amongst others. Great games, but they did poorly.