Author Topic: Sega Announces Sonic Colors for the Wii.  (Read 17276 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Announces Sonic Colors for the Wii.
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
Can I just say that I often love Aussie Nintendo's reviews, but I too often forget they exist?  I need me a bookmark.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Nintendo Power has historically been very kind to Sonic games in reviews.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »
8.0 for Shadow the Hedgehog springs to mind.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »

Did anyone else actually play Shadow the Hedgehog?  It's the closest thing we've had to the stages everyone liked in Sonic Adventure 2, ever.  Oh, and there's more of those stages than in Sonic Adventure 2.  I'm not saying 8.0 is the right score, but it's leagues ahead of a lot of other Sonic games out there!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »
I haven't suffered through Shadow the Hedgehog so I can't really make an opinion, but to me personally the 3-D Sonic games go like this:

Sonic Adventure: Did a good job in introducing Sonic into 3-D. Knuckles levels DIDN'T SUCK. Big and his missions need to die. Amy and E-Gamma's levels are so-so.
Sonic Adventure 2: Sonic/Shadow levels got better, but the camera got a bit worse for wear (but the final stage for Shadow... holy clusterfuck). Eggman/Tails levels were... boring. Knuckles/Rouge go rid of the previous search system and replaced it with something more frustrating. It's biggest asset is Rouge's jiggle physics. (yeah)
Sonic Heroes: Long levels like S3&K, but had some unique elements. Tag team system was also unique. What happened? **** load of game breaking bugs and having the play through the game with more then one team to beat it.
Sonic '06 Well **** you too Sega.
Sonic and the Secret Rings: What's this? A game where you play as just Sonic? On-rails platforming harkening back to the 2-D days? A story that was unique?! A side-kick that didn't suck ass?! Eggman is a prince?!! Poor level progression, bull-**** EXP system and insane as hell missions. Camera SUCKED TOO.
Sonic and the Black Knight: Gone is the bullshit level progression and insane missions! Still flawed? In some places. But was it leagues better then '06? Absolutely.
Sonic Unleashed: HI I'M CHIP WANT SOME CHOCOLATE?

Did anyone else actually play Shadow the Hedgehog?  It's the closest thing we've had to the stages everyone liked in Sonic Adventure 2, ever.  Oh, and there's more of those stages than in Sonic Adventure 2.  I'm not saying 8.0 is the right score, but it's leagues ahead of a lot of other Sonic games out there!
Will we see a review on PixlBit for Shadow then?  ;)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 12:29:17 AM »
After I get through reviews for RUSE, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, and potentially Sonic Colors, as well as do a PixlChatter on Kirby and Wario Land: Shake It, perhaps?

Regardless, at least from what I've seen and played of Sonic Colors, it had potential.  I'm not saying it's a 9/10, I haven't played it that much, but it could be up there somewhere around that.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
For the people complaining about the Nintendo Power review, don't worry.  The guy who did the review posted on Neo GAF and said that he didn't review the previous Sonic games.  He said if he had reviewed Secret Rings it would have gotten a 7 and he would have given Unleashed a 6.5.  He never played Black Knight so he didn't comment on that.

So the 9 from Nintendo Power actually has a lot of weight this time since it's comming from someone who actually wasn't a fan of the previous Sonic games and thinks that Colors is a huge upgrade and he even said it actually has the quality of the Genesis Sonics.

So yeah, I'd say there's good reason to be excited about the game this time.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
Continuing the review round-up, Official Nintendo Magazine UK rewarded the Wii version 86% and the DS version 85%. They made complimentary remarks about most aspects of the game, but were not so thrilled about the multiplayer.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
He said if he had reviewed Secret Rings it would have gotten a 7
=I

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
He said if he had reviewed Secret Rings it would have gotten a 7
=I
Great minds, eh?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »
IGN loved it... Supposedly it's 11 hours long, how the **** does that work?

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
IGN loved it... Supposedly it's 11 hours long, how the **** does that work?

Link to the review

Very pleasantly surprised. A length of 11 hours is definitely unexpected... I suppose Sonic Team finally realised that if they take their time, they can make lots of levels and don't have to pad it out with rubbish filler material. Certain other choice phrases were also extremely encouraging.
"...some fantastic level design that will test even the most dedicated fan of platformers."
"...one of the best looking games on Wii..."
"...the music is universally great." (In a Sonic game? Holy moley!)

You know, I can never have too many platformers. I'll be sure to get this in the not-too-distant future.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »
Also the voice acting isn't bad, that's also a MASSIVE improvement for Sonic.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
Sonic is actually coming back?! I am actually going to buy this one with no fear at all.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2010, 12:15:30 PM »
Sonic and the Black Knight was good too!

:<

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
Sonic and the Black Knight was good too!

:<

I believe you, I just don't believe Sega, sorry...

But now... oh boy now I have confidence that Sonic is truly coming back! I very much enjoyed Sonic 4 part 1 and this sounds much more exciting! But one has to wonder, what in the heck happened at Sega for them to apparently give damn? Shadow the Hedgehog? Sonic 06 the buggy nasty mess? Is there anyone new at Sega that said "This shiatsu needs to stop!" ?   

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 11:42:55 AM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14746

Colours is our pure Sonic gaming experience. That's had some high scores. It's also the highest pre-selling pure Sonic title we've had ever. That's a good indication. With the quality of the game, we're confident of that. That's our pure platforming Sonic.

We have some announcements in the early part of next year that will further support and add to this strategy. There will be two of three big Sonic announcements in the early part of next calendar year.

I have only beaten the first world of this game and it is enjoyable so far. Not enough to truely gage the game. Only thing is sometimes I feel like there is too much stimulation in the first couple stages. Along with the camera being zoomed way out I'm just not quite as clear on my surroundings as i'd like to be.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
One of those yet-to-be-announced games should be a Tails game, he's got to be more neglected than Luigi at this point.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
There's a rumor going around that we'll see a Mario and Sonic game next year that isn't based on the Olympics. It's on some mildly major Sonic fansite that isn't Sonic Retro.  I don't recall which one, though.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
Oh how I would love both of those things to happen. As long as Nintendo really holds Sega's hand through the process.

RomanceDawn

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »
Oh how I would love both of those things to happen. As long as Nintendo really holds Sega's hand through the process.
What's hilarious is that they already did it two times, and they were considered better Sonic games before Black Knight and Colors.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »
Just finished up the first world and started in on the desert planet. Giant donuts with chocolate frosting is weird but interesting. Liking the game so far. Got it as a gift for Christmas but hadn't played it until today. I love the speed of the game. Reminds me of older sonics where running was key. I wish I could play this with just the Wii remote or the classic controller but I guess using the alien powers wouldn't be possible since you have to shake the remote. Can't say just yet if I could put a score on it. Just that it's enjoyable at the moment. Very easy as well. I beat the first boss in 41 seconds but then again don't think I would have wanted to do it for two or more minutes.