Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1550222 times)

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4500 on: December 26, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
Caught the Wolf of Wall Street last night. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers a fantastic performance, and the three-hour runtime feels just about right. On a side note, it is now the leader in uses of the word ****, with 506 separate instances.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: December 26, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »
Caught the Wolf of Wall Street last night. Leonardo DiCaprio delivers a fantastic performance, and the three-hour runtime feels just about right. On a side note, it is now the leader in uses of the word **** (in a non-documentary film), with 506 separate instances.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: December 26, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
Sounds like a good movie.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: December 26, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: December 26, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure there were episodes of The Wire with more than 506 instances of the word ****.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: December 27, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »
3 hours eh? I wonder why movies are getting longer these days? Back in the 1980's and 1990's most movies were under 2 hours.

I remember when those 1960's Bible epics were over 3 hours long (Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments), and musicals like The Sound of Music and The King & I were really long too.

Are we going to see the return of intermissions next?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:43:04 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: December 27, 2013, 12:28:57 AM »
Anything Peter Jackson touches should have intermissions.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: December 27, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »
Disney gave me a ticket through its rewards program, so I went and saw Frozen today. My thoughts? You'd have a perfect movie if you cut 3 painfully out-of-place and pointless padding songs (Love is an Open Door, Summertime, and Fixer Upper) and fleshed out one particular character's role (the "villain").  As it stands, it's "merely" a ****ing awesome movie and a true sign that Disney's finally found that middle ground again between their young and older audiences (and yes, I liked Tangled and Wreck It Ralph). I look forward to the Blu Ray.

More to come on the next NFR.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: December 27, 2013, 12:39:02 AM »
Wreck-It Ralph was amazing. I really hope there is a sequel, or maybe even a new version of Roger Rabbit. :)

The whole reason Disney found their mojo is because John Lasseter is now in charge of their entire animation division (instead of just Pixar).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:47:43 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: December 27, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »
Wreck it Ralph was the best movie of 2012. So good. Tangled was also return to form.

I'm very glad animated Disney seemingly got their **** together. Though Pixar has instead lost it's way it seems.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: December 27, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
47 Ronin: meh. It felt almost entirely by the numbers. I liked The Wolverine because of how it showed Japan (both modern and traditional) with colour and beauty, and 47 Ronin just made it all into a lifeless place.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: December 28, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
Just watched the Machinist again, such a great movie. Christian Bale has to be the most devoted actor of all time. Tom Hanks' weight fluctuations have nothing on the change from Trevor Reznik to Batman.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4512 on: December 30, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
Saw Anchorman 2. Brandogg is right. Movie is good if you lower your expectations. I'll add that it's even better if you have a few cocktails beforehand. (score for Anchorman minus one)/10

Also saw Grudge Match. It was good. Not too much Kevin Hart. Really fun cameo at the end. 6.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: January 02, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

So yeah... Between this and The Home Depot closing before 9 my New Year's Eve was ruined.  This is a terrible movie.  I was having a pretty good day till I went to see this movie.  Made up stuff that didn't need to be there.  Shortened stuff they could have actually been used for the movie.  At minimum an hour and a half to long.  The best I could say is that putting all the locations they went to into a dome as a park that let you explore them would be awesome.

I was ok with the first Hobbit movie.  Even defended parts of it but this one...  I will see the third movie when it goes to Netflix and maybe even just wait for it to ever get to Streaming simply because I'm a fan of the books.  I have no desire whats so ever to see The Hobbit 3 Back to the Shire MoFo's in theaters.  A real shame that they made it a point not to have a showing of Frozen during Matinee times around here on Tuesday.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: January 02, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
Oscar season is the best time for DVD screeners.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4515 on: January 02, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Ain't them bodies Saints - Although largely predictable, the poetry of each scene in this film really clicked with me. The Cinematography arguably steals the show here, but the film also boasts some great muted performances from it's key actors, the foreboding soundtrack is great, and the whole tone of the film is pitch-perfect.

It's probably not going to be to everyone's tastes, but if you enjoy poetic, moody cinema, then I'd say this is definitely worth watching (Don't let the Malick similarities dissuade you, ATBS could be described as ponderous but 'The tree of life' this is not).

This is the End - Got 40 mins in and had to turn it off.

Anchorman 2 - Neither as disappointing as it could of been or as good as it should have been, Anchorman 2 is a perfectly serviceable sequel to a cult classic. I do, however, really wish they hadn't reused 'THAT' scene...you know the one.

I will say, however, the line 'I'M BLIIIIND' has already found it's way into my lexicon. I messed up a chord change on guitar the other day and immediately used that line as an excuse.
Gouge away.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: January 02, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »
I bet the DVD BluRay will be a lot better, there's a ton of stuff you see brief seconds of in the commercials that wasn't in the movie. Maybe they'll include another completely different movie like they did with the original (Wake Up, Ron Burgundy on the Anchorman special edition DVD).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: January 03, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »
The Other Guys - 8/10

This movie is hilarious. I really didn't think it was going to be as funny as it is, but there's so much strange humor and random stuff that you don't expect. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
American Hustle - This was a great slow burning film. Jennifer Lawrence was incredible.

Amazing performances all around.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:35 AM »
You're Next

That was a surprisingly good horror movie, especially since I flew into it blind.

Recommended.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
@Plugabugz

I've been a fan of Lawrence since Winter's Bone, but I honestly thought she was the weakest player amongst the five primary actors. I'm not ruling out the possibility that the character was written poorly or that the role  was simply miscast, but in several scenes I found her delivery of lines to be really quite poor. The majority of the time she was on screen it pulled me right out of the film, which is saying a lot when you have Bale and Cooper dressed like they were in a children's school play.

Overall I thought American Hustle was a very enjoyable film, but Lawrence's character completely fell flat for me. The only time her character really resonated for me was when she tried to turn what was a Mafia hit on Bale's Irving character into some elaborate ploy to instigate an epiphany. That scene really brought home her insanity, but most everything else with that character felt callow.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: January 16, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
12 Years a Slave - As a huge proponent of McQueen's debut film 'Hunger' I've been anticipating this film for quite some time. I want to take a little time to digest '12 years a slave', but my immediate impression is that this film is an exceptional piece of filmmaking. Some critics might argue that it's manipulative or that it tells a very singular version of the story of the slave trade in America, but the fact of the matter is that it brings to the surface certain crucial truths that are all too easily forgotten, and it does so through some haunting images, great performances and is instilled with a sense of genuine humanity (both good and bad).

As with a film like 'There will be a blood' I suspect that '12 years' is one which I will have to spend time with, but, having seen it only the once, I would have to say that I think it's an outstanding film.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:57:46 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: January 17, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »
@Plugabugz
Overall I thought American Hustle was a very enjoyable film, but Lawrence's character completely fell flat for me. The only time her character really resonated for me was when she tried to turn what was a Mafia hit on Bale's Irving character into some elaborate ploy to instigate an epiphany. That scene really brought home her insanity, but most everything else with that character felt callow.

I just enjoyed how she was such a bumbling idiot (bearing in mind she nearly set fire to the house twice) and that came out in her acting.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4523 on: January 18, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
Her

I liked the world Spike Jonze set up for this movie.  It's futuristic enough for the premise, but without getting into Sci-Fi territory.  You're shown a world very much like ours where there's bumped up versions of Siri and then the new breakthrough is the AI that becomes the female lead.  Joaquin Phoenix is literally in every scene and almost almost always on camera.  He's really good in it though and makes for a very sympathetic character.  The ending felt a bit "meh", but you knew something was gonna happen.  There were more opportunities for comedy that the film didn't take, but that's ok.  The film also seemed like it was trying too hard to earn its 'R' Rating in a few scenes.

10/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: January 19, 2014, 03:48:11 AM »
2 Guns.

What? It really can't decide what kind of movie it wants to be. Buddy cop? Heist? Batman Gambit? A custerfuck of an ending. A serviceable summer movie.

Dragon Wars.

The **** is this? Perfect for a bad movie night.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?