Author Topic: Do I fail as a Nintendo fan if I don't follow/finish EVERY major series?  (Read 7564 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Do I fail as a Nintendo fan if I don't follow/finish EVERY major series?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »
Oh snap.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 11:20:07 PM »
Old fans and new fans are different.

The old Nintendo is not the new Nintendo.

The new Nintendo doesn't make real games anymore.  The new Nintendo only releases hype-attracting gamer's games less than once a year.  Only to satisfy journalists and bloggers.  In the GameCube years, once every 2 years was a good enough development rate.  It's obvious Nintendo doesn't have faith in Wii controls in traditional game since the Wii is only a gimmick to sell more copies of Zelda, and multiplayer in Prime3 wasn't worth the effort.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Do I fail as a Nintendo fan if I don't follow/finish EVERY major series?
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 12:44:46 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
A person who sits through the Super Mario Bros. Movie and still likes Nintendo must be a true fan.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 05:19:24 AM »
I like the Super Mario Bros. movie.  You're all poseurs.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 05:26:27 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
A person who plays through WW and still likes Nintendo must be a true fan.

~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
Bill that's offensive to naked hunter-gatherers . . . even if they are no longer part of this world.

(I lol'ed btw).

Offline ShineGet887

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
For example, I play all the major series, but I was never interested in Advance Wars or Fire Emblem.  At the same time, I never gave them a chance, so maybe I could like them.  But if I never make time for them, are my playing practices shameful in the eyes of other Nintendo fans?

Similarly, while I've played Pokémon Red/Silver/Ruby/FireRed/Diamond (and play in tandem with my brother who has the other version), I hope I'm not chastised among Pokémon fans for missing out on the enhanced Yellow/Crystal/Emerald, or not following the cartoon show anymore, missed a few of the later movies, or never having played Pokémon Channel.

I could never finish the F-Zero games, because I suck at racing.  The Story Mode in F-Zero GX (Chapter 7) is particularly irksome.  Is liking the series enough to be a fan?

And as a big Zelda fan, am I supposed to play every Zelda game, even when they're rereleased?  (Ie. I finished Ocarina Of Time twice on the N64 and also the Master Quest version on the Wind Waker Bonus Disc.  Am I supposed to play OoT again on the Bonus Disc, the Zelda Collectors Edition Disc, and on the VC?  Why can't Nintendo make saves for the same game compatible?)  And, also as a Zelda fan, does that mean I'm supposed to want to play the CD-i games, or should I be supporting the movement to disavow them?  Similarly, for whatever reason I never bought a Virtual Boy or an e-Reader.  Should I have?

I'm so confused.

I don't think so, and I think you'd have to be an arrogant moron to believe that. Nintendo has a wide range of titles, everything from platforming to racing, and very few gamers can enjoy every genre.

For instance, I've never been big on the Metroid series ( Hopefully MP3 can change that. ), but I still respect games like Super Metroid as some of the greatest games that not only Nintendo has ever made, but that anybody has made. Does it make me less of a fan because I couldn't get into them? No.

Plus, I'd love for someone to tell me I'm not a Nintendo fan when I own every last Mario-based game in just about every format possible, and have been playing Mario and Zelda games consistantly for over 10 years.

Offline ShineGet887

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »
As far as Nintendo series I don't like or haven't been able to get into, by the way, there's only three I can think of:

1.) Fire Emblem
2.) Metroid
3.) The new wave of mini-game compilations like Brain Age.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 05:16:54 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung I'm so confused.

Nintendo is like a smart dog. Nintendo's has two parties who patronize it: humans who live around it, and its fleas.

The humans love to see Nintendo do tricks. They know Nintendo is capable of great things and can even learn new tricks. When Nintendo doesn't deliver, they say so. The humans represent Nintendo's true fans because they know Nintendo can do better and they urge it to do so.

The fleas on the other hand, don't care what tricks Nintendo does, only that they can continue to live on Nintendo and call it their own. They don't care what's best for Nintendo. They only care about living off of Nintendo's fame and greatness because they know they will never achieve any kind of greatness of their own so they might as well try to adopt someone else's. They do nothing to aid Nintendo to better itself because they never complain, as to complain about Nintendo would be to complain about themselves. They will never inspire Nintendo to greatness. Rather, they would happily continue to leech from it until it dies, at which point they'll move to another host and try to once again pretend that, because the host is great, they are, too. They have no sense of irony in seeing that the same greatness which attracted them is the same greatness they inevitably discourage.

To use a real-world example, look at the Metroid Prime series: MP1 sold 2.77 mil worldwide and was praised as one of the best games on the GC. MP2 received mixed reviews and sold 1.27 mil, and yet you'll find no shortage of fleas quick to ooze all over the game and b*tch people out for citing its obvious flaws. When you criticize the dog, you inevitably criticize the fleas with it.

Meanwhile, Retro Studios listened to the criticisms aimed at Prime 2 and Prime 3 has fixed the issues and then some, and it'll probably have lifetime sales which trounce those of MP2 as a result. The criticism has benefitted Nintendo, no thanks to the fleas.

So the bottom line is, a Nintendo fan is someone who acts in the best interest of Nintendo. Don't confuse them with the fleas who cling to Nintendo not from fandom but as a source of identity and a haven from their own inadequacies.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 05:55:07 AM »
That's a wonderful analogy. Also a great Everybody Votes question: Which are you? Flea or Fan?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 06:15:54 AM »
I could summarize it in once sentence, though: yes-men are the bane of all enterprise.

You have to figure that they truly must be everywhere. Every time an actor or a director takes on a crappy project, they must have looked around at least once and said, "Are you sure this is a good idea?" and had to get a plethora of yeses from those around them, even though any sensible person could have told them that the project stinks. The yes-men aren't there to help. They're there because they're clinging to greatness because it's the closest thing they have to being great themselves.

It happens in every walk of life, I'm sure, and Nintendo is no exception.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 07:21:38 AM »
Of course, no-men are no use either...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »
Actually, I've found that no-men are great because, when they're impressed, you know you're onto something.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 08:00:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Actually, I've found that no-men are great because, when they're impressed, you know you're onto something.

Yeah, but I'm sure many no-men looked at the DS and Wii and said "This is a bad idea, it will never sell...".

Yes-men prevent the evolution and growth of a product or person while no-men can destroy a potentially good idea due to their negativity.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »
The humans in my analogy aren't no-men, though.

They're fans who realize that there is untapped potential.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »
I come back and there's this talk about fleas, no-men, and naked hunter-gatherers?  WTF?

I was questioning if I was a Nintendo fan, but I don't think I'm a naked hunter-gatherer.

Though I guess to ask another question, is there anyone here who HAS played every Nintendo game (or at least every one in their region of the world)?  From the sounds of it, probably no.

I'm also surprised at the number of Metroid-haters in this topic.  0_0

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
I loved Prime's 1&3, just not 2.

As for every Nintendo game, the closest person is probably Cap who's the biggest Nintendo fan I know, including on these forums.

He's the one who intends to name his first daughter "Samus". He also owns every Nintendo console, including the Neo Fami and he has the CDI Zeldas. Though, he'll criticize Nintendo games which he feels aren't up to snuff.

I do know of a guy with a Startfox tattoo, so it's pretty close...  

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2007, 03:30:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I do know of a guy with a Startfox tattoo, so it's pretty close...

I have the Super Mario Bros. 3 Happy Meal toys, a near-mint condition Game & Watch Zelda, I ordered a plush Kirby on eBay that should be arriving any day now, and I built a Super Mushroom and an Octorok out of PixelBlocks...

(I also want to get that plush Goomba that makes the "Goomba-squish" noise when you bop its head...and a replica Master Sword...)

But I'm sure that's seriously weak...though I did go to E3 2006 specifically to touch a Wii before most people here ever did...does that count for anything?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 03:21:30 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
Though I guess to ask another question, is there anyone here who HAS played every Nintendo game (or at least every one in their region of the world)?  From the sounds of it, probably no.

If you could come up with some sort of checklist I could run through it and see how many I've played/own. I'm pretty sure I've played most Nintendo games over most regions, and I'm a fan of all of them with the exception of the Mario Party series after the first.
Check out PixlBit!