Author Topic: Rifftrax  (Read 2309 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
Rifftrax
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:35:35 PM »
Have you ever found yourself watching a stinker like Episode I or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and thinking "Man, I wish I was watching this with commentary by the Mystery Science Theater crew. Too bad that's not possible." Well, guess what? It is! Kind of.

Mike Nelson has a service called Rifftrax, through which you can get commentaries to a bunch of big-name (and small-name) films. Pay them a modest fee, and you'll get a (drm free!) audio file that contains a commentary that can be synced up to a DVD. The commentaries always feature Mike, and often feature one or two of his co-stars from MST3k.

The commentaries are hilarious and well worth the asking price. (Just don't expect Mystery Science Theater. It's nearly as good - at least, in my opinion - but it's different. Rifftrax has it's own unique flavor.)

We've watched three so far: Fellowship of the Ring (brilliant! I laughed non-stop the whole three hours) (oh, if you're wondering why they did a commentary for Lord of the Rings, well, they make fun of good movies too.) Star Wars: Episode III (not as good as FoTR, I guess because Episode III is such an easy target, but still great), and Plan 9 From Outer Space (the only one I don't recommend. It's the cheapest commentary on the site for a reason: Mike made it for a dvd release before he started Rifftrax, and, while there are some good lines, it's not up to Rifftrax standards.) Next on the list is Star Trek V.

Buy a commentary. Watch it with friends. I guarantee good times.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Rifftrax
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
You bashed Harry Potter and the Sorcerers stone, so in turn I'm not reading your post.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Online Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Rifftrax
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:11:48 PM »
Sounds awesome.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:00:49 AM »
Which version of FoTR--theatrical or extended?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:24:37 AM »
You know about "The Film Crew," right?  Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett are awesome...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:15:14 AM »

You know about "The Film Crew," right?

I do. I haven't gotten any because they're $16 a pop, and that's a tad pricey.

Originally posted by: vudu
Which version of FoTR--theatrical or extended?

Theatrical.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:35:47 AM »
I've always loved MST3K.

We've watched Star Trek 5 and Predator with this so far, but the fact that they have the Harry Potter movies means I might need to try those next...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »
My main issue with Rifftrax is that it lacks the presence of the old MST3K characters. I've always loved how the characters were always there with you and their presence during the movie was felt. I thought it provided for some great humor, like in "Hobgoblins' in which they went as far as to escape the theater by putting wooden dummies in front of the screen. Rifftrax doesn't have that. Its like Mike Nelson is there but you can't see him. Also, most of the tracks are done by one person which can be funny but its not as good as when there are multiple people making fun of the movie.

Those are just personal pet peeves, though. I've only watched one track (the Predator one with S_B) so maybe there are better ones available.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »
I've watched a couple of these, they are great.
I wish I knew where my friends MST3K cut out is so I could put it on the bottom of the TV when I watch these. =P
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Also, most of the tracks are done by one person which can be funny but its not as good as when there are multiple people making fun of the movie.

As I said, try "The Film Crew"...Same lovable bunch, though no on-screen antics, sadly...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~