Author Topic: Mario Baseball Announced for GC!  (Read 12321 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Mario Baseball Announced for GC!
« on: November 23, 2004, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Baseball Announced for GC!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 04:49:14 PM »
Better have zany Mario additions if it wants my purchase, since I'm not a huge fan of the sport...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 04:59:25 PM »
How did you find this?  I can't see a link on the main page.  Maybe it's caching on me or something.

Anyhoo it's another Mario game.  Yee haw.  Now unlike the new Mario Golf and Tennis this is at least something that Mario hasn't done before.  I should be excited about this but Nintendo's recent insane sequelitis has completely numbed my interest in any Mario games.  This will probably be fun and I might buy it.  I don't know yet.  But Nintendo's got to give Mario a rest for at least a year or so.  At this rate no one is going to care when the Revolution launches with a new Mario platformer (even though they should).

And if Camelot is working on this may I ask why they aren't working on an RPG or SOMETHING that might actually sell some systems?  If you're going to have them work on yet another "safe" title at least make it a Golden Sun title for the Cube.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:19:33 PM »
I completely agree with Ian. Tennis and golf have always been good games with a good reputation; they could be justified with the assured sales, but a baseball game would be a complete waste of Camelot. A Golden Sun RPG would do wonders for the Cube, possibly even making it a 'must get' system, along with the PS2 for RPG fans.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 05:26:31 PM »
It'll probably be huge in Japan. I could care less about baseball, though. Where's Mario Hockey?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:15:08 PM »
Mario Basketball!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:06:31 PM »
They need to add all nintendo characters.  Team sports would get real repetitive with just the mario franchise characters.  The more players the better the game.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 10:49:42 PM »
Mario + sports = win
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 11:58:02 PM »
I also expect this game to have the most realistic Baseball physics ever because they don't have to worry with bothersome things like Derek Jeter's face-map and shoe size or if Fenway park's seats were adjusted a little higher this year and acutally work on the BASEBALL portion of the Baseball game.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 01:42:03 AM »
In an interview in Famitsu it's confirmed that Namco are co-developing this game.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Baseball Announced for GC!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 02:35:37 AM »
Actually, it's not entirely true that Mario has never been in a baseball game before.  There was a game called (look at this, it's ingenious) Baseball for the original Gameboy that had Mario as one of the characters.  Granted it wasn't named Mario Baseball, but it did include the famous plumber.  

On a personal note, I had mixed emotions when I saw this.  Like Ian there was a part of me that was disappointed; however, I think it'll be great.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 03:12:22 AM »
Lol.. Mario baseball..what a good idea. Gamecube has such funny and awesome sports games with Mario, DK,Luigi etc. Just imagine "HOME RUN FOR MARIO" and "DK Steals 3rd base" haha.. wait one more.."Princess hits it over the ballpark"  haha can't wait (:

Happy Thankgiving to all on the Forums  
and Vs. X-box
Who will win?

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 04:11:04 AM »
I dunno what I should be more shocked about: the fact that Mario Baseball has been announced or that Nintendo of Europe actually managed to get a world exclusive as they were the ones to reveal the game!!!

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 05:35:21 AM »
Ok, my bad, guess I shouldn't be so surprised. It was actually Nintendo of Japan that released the details, and NOE got it from them!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 06:39:27 AM »
People are always complaining that Nintendo needs to create sports titles to draw the mainstream gamer.  Now Nintendo starts creating sports titles and people complain that Nintendo needs to focus its time on creating other types of games.

This is what's wrong with Nintendo's fanbase.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 06:51:01 AM »
"People are always complaining that Nintendo needs to create sports titles to draw the mainstream gamer."

When people ask for sports they don't mean Mario sports games.  Those aren't going to draw the mainstream gamer.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 07:05:43 AM »
When people ask for sports they don't mean Mario sports games.

Then they are stupid...If you want a sports sim go outside and play the real sport...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 08:08:48 AM »
Umm... then it wouldn't be a sim...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 08:11:13 AM »
See Bill, I have to argue with you now.....sigh.  I disagree with that because in the past, Nintendo has made some pretty damn good sports games.  Sure this is when Nintendo (well their President) owned a stock of the Seattle Mariners.  Those Ken Griffey games were some fun as hell baseball games and were pretty good when it came to everything else.  Stunt Trax FX (if y'all remember that) was a very very fun racing game, as was Uniracers.  Also there was Excitebike.  Sure that game was mediocre compared to THE MATURE sports games of nowadays, but it's a sport game nonetheless.  Oh yeah, can't forget about WaveRace and 1080, but people complained about those too.  We're too spoiled and shut snobs when it comes to games, which is why I like being a Nintendoite.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 08:43:50 AM »
yeah but those sims are some of the best selling games ever...  Madden ?

But i like it though.... I like Baseball more than Tennis or Golf... So ill be picking this up for sure regardless

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 10:49:13 AM »
Didn't baseball for the NES feature Mario?  Not called Mario, but I thought every player looked like him.  And in Golf on the NES as well.  Maybe I'm becoming senile in my old age.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 10:52:43 AM »
I'm still waiting for a Mario football game. Could you imagine that? I guess it might be too violent of a sport, but then again, Mario characters are in a fighting game. I wonder if a cross between Smash Bros. and football would work.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 10:52:50 AM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
Didn't baseball for the NES feature Mario?  Not called Mario, but I thought every player looked like him.  And in Golf on the NES as well.  Maybe I'm becoming senile in my old age.

Originally posted by: kennyb27
Actually, it's not entirely true that Mario has never been in a baseball game before.  There was a game called (look at this, it's ingenious) Baseball for the original Gameboy that had Mario as one of the characters.  Granted it wasn't named Mario Baseball, but it did include the famous plumber.
Somebody already said that.  Thanks for bringing it up again, though.  As I too am senile, it helps to have information repeated numerous times.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 12:55:33 PM »
I really like Mario sports games, so I am really interested to see how this one turns out.  Funny how people are complaining that there are so many Mario sports games coming out lately, but no one seems to mind that a new Madden comes out every year.  Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, and now Mario Baseball; three Mario sports titles, but atleast there are 3 differant sports.  If there were three Mario Tennis games, then I would agree that Nintendo is overdoing it.  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 01:51:58 PM »
"Funny how people are complaining that there are so many Mario sports games coming out lately, but no one seems to mind that a new Madden comes out every year."

What are you talking about?  A lot of us complain about Madden being released every year (and being one of the year's top sellers each time as well).