Author Topic: Celebrities Like the DS  (Read 6143 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Celebrities Like the DS
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:25:23 PM »
Find out what celebrities had to say about the DS at the pre-launch party.

CELEBRITIES FIRST TO 'TOUCH' NINTENDO DS AT EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE PARTY

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., November 17, 2004 – It was all about touching and playing at the Nintendo DSTM pre-launch party last night as celebrities including Cuba Gooding Jr., Jesse Metcalfe, Zach Braff, Orlando Jones, Taryn Manning, Anthony Keidis, Sarah Chalke, Rachel Hunter, David Gallagher, J.C. Chasez, Donald Faison, Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Vartan and more were the first to play Nintendo's newest hand-held video game system – the Nintendo DS – scheduled to debut in North American stores Nov. 21.

"Since we announced the Nintendo DS, celebrities have been clamoring to be the first to get their hands on it," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "The Nintendo DS was a huge hit due to its revolutionary features – the dual screen; touch-screen; a built-in chat function; and wireless communication."

The Premiere of the Nintendo DS

The worldwide Hollywood premiere of the Nintendo DSTM got rave reviews.

Celebrities in attendance: Cris Judd, Mila Kunis, Drew Fuller, Jason London, Damian Lewis, Ethan Embry, David Gallagher, Marsha Thomason, Lake Bell, Jennifer Gimenez, Lochlyn Munro, William Lee Scott, John Hawkes, Nick Gonzales, Trent Ford, Alexis Arquette, Adam Garcia, Allison Munn, Megan Good, Rachel Miner, Melinda Williams, Ashley Peldon, Courtney Peldon

Entertainment:  

Nintendo DS exclusive games such as Metroid Prime® Hunters: First Hunt and Super Mario® 64 DS from Nintendo, Madden NFL 2005, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® Golf and The UrbzTM: Sims in the CityTM from Electronic Arts, Spider-Man 2TM from Activision, Asphalt Urban GTTM from Ubisoft and many others. The PictoChatTM communication feature embedded in the Nintendo DS was also available.

A special performance by The Killers (number 1 global single "Somebody Told Me"), who took a special detour from their sold-out worldwide tour to be a part of the event. Also, DJ Spinna, producer of numerous tracks and remixes for notable artists span tunes throughout the evening.

Reviews:

"They look great! They are small enough to travel with and will help me pass away many hours when I'm on tour, especially on those long bus rides." – Pink

"Proud to be the first (to receive the Nintendo DS)!" – Nelly

"Yo, this is the dopest thing I've seen in my life." – Donald Faison

The Party Scene:

The party atmosphere reflected the intimacy and selectivity of the Nintendo DS. It featured VIP lounge areas for game play and focused on the "Touching is Good" theme, which is Nintendo's massive multimillion-dollar campaign for the new system targeting a hip, male demographic in lifestyle magazines and trendy TV and cable channels.

The event was held at an exclusive location, The Day After, a new venue with a modern, sophisticated look located in the space once known as the Montmartre, the first glamour Hollywood nightspot in the early 1920s. The Nintendo DS Launch Party was THE hot party to be at in Hollywood complete with a celebrity dating game that featured Calvin Klein model Trent Ford posing questions via the Nintendo DS PictoChatTM function to three beautiful women.

Nintendo DS will sell at an MSRP of $149.99. In the first 30 days of system availability, players can enjoy 10-12 Nintendo DS games covering all genres. By the end of the first quarter of 2005, the Nintendo DS library will grow to 20-25 games. In addition to the built-in PictoChatTM function, Nintendo DS will come bundled with a playable demo of Metroid Prime® Hunters: First Hunt, the latest installment in an extremely popular first-person shooter franchise.  

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Celebrities Like the DS
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 03:11:43 AM »
Let's see... Shatner... Shatner... Shatner... nope, looks like he wasn't there, we're safe!

Offline Finnegan

• View Profile
RE: Celebrities Like the DS
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:04:24 AM »
lol, Is it just me, or do you guys not know who 90% of those celebrities are?

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:24:36 AM »
Hey Josh, that's a nice quote from MST3K:  The Movie.  I applaud you for that, 5900 cool points for you.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 05:48:15 AM »
Cuba Gooding Jr., Orlando Jones, Jerry Bruckheimer, Pink, Nelly.

Everyone else, I have no idea.  

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:02:55 AM »
Man our society is bass ackwards.....people who could by the entire 1st shipment of DS' without thinking twice and STILL cop the new Ferrari get DS' for free, while the rest of us have to go without eating for a week for 1 system and a game ( <--- gross exageration, but the point is made.).

Bleh.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:46:28 AM »
Nintendo does these celebrity things a lot which is fine.  I don't care about celebrity endorsement but a lot of shallow people do so I think associating Nintendo products with celebrities is a good idea.  I just have to question Nintendo's methods here.  Who knows about this stuff?  If I didn't keep up with game news I would have no clue that Nelly digs the DS.  The only people who know that Nintendo is chillin' with celebs are hardcore Nintendo fans.  In other words the only people who know about this are the people who don't care about celebrity endorsements.  The general public are the ones that need to know about this.

Sony and MS don't just throw some party that few hear about.  They have musicians play with their product in music videos.  They offer their consoles up as parts of a grand prize for extreme sports competitions.  I remember when the Xbox was first announced they had the Rock make an appearance and then they played the highlights of the conference on WWE TV.  And then a week before the Xbox launch one of the wrestlers appeared in an Xbox T-shirt.  That's the sort of celebrity endorsement Nintendo needs to go after.  Nelly shouldn't be shilling Nintendo products in a press release he should be using Nintendo products in one of his videos.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 07:54:43 AM »
Whoever the hell Donald Faison is, that's pretty funny.

It featured VIP lounge areas for game play and focused on the "Touching is Good" theme

I also have to wonder what exactly they mean by this.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 10:20:13 AM »

Originally posted by: SgtShiversBen
Hey Josh, that's a nice quote from MST3K:  The Movie.  I applaud you for that, 5900 cool points for you.

Nice MST3K under your avatar

Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 01:30:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Nintendo does these celebrity things a lot which is fine.  I don't care about celebrity endorsement but a lot of shallow people do so I think associating Nintendo products with celebrities is a good idea.  I just have to question Nintendo's methods here.  Who knows about this stuff?  If I didn't keep up with game news I would have no clue that Nelly digs the DS.  The only people who know that Nintendo is chillin' with celebs are hardcore Nintendo fans.  In other words the only people who know about this are the people who don't care about celebrity endorsements.  The general public are the ones that need to know about this.

Sony and MS don't just throw some party that few hear about.  They have musicians play with their product in music videos.  They offer their consoles up as parts of a grand prize for extreme sports competitions.  I remember when the Xbox was first announced they had the Rock make an appearance and then they played the highlights of the conference on WWE TV.  And then a week before the Xbox launch one of the wrestlers appeared in an Xbox T-shirt.  That's the sort of celebrity endorsement Nintendo needs to go after.  Nelly shouldn't be shilling Nintendo products in a press release he should be using Nintendo products in one of his videos.

Just sounds to me like Microsoft has the advantage of being able to drop all that dough not just on celebrity endorsements, but on face time and tv time, and have a 3+ year run of losses in their XBox gaming division.

I think this is yet another field where, even if Nintendo performed smartly and perfectly, it's competitors will always win because of their brute strength. Get into a marketting spending war with Sony AND Microsoft? Yeah, right, that's a recipe for success if I ever saw one.

Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
Obviously Nintendo can't match MS or Sony dollar-for-dollar in advertising.  But they do have 12 billion dollars - they should use it...

Offline Golden Maven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 07:21:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Finnegan
lol, Is it just me, or do you guys not know who 90% of those celebrities are?

No kidding, out of that list, I only know about Mila Kunis who plays Jackie in "That 70s Show" and did the voice acting for Meg in "Family Guy". Very good looking girl if I may say so

Ian Sane is right though, hardcore Nintendo fans don't give a crap what celebrities have to say. But let everyone know that Nelly likes the DS, and people will go out there to buy one so they can be "in".

I think it's funny hearing about Nintendo trying to "get with it", especially after reading The Nintendo DS Launch Party was THE hot party to be at in Hollywood[...] Let's see how far that takes them. I just hope the word will spread beyond Nintendo sites...  

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 10:56:24 PM »
Didn't she Voice Meg (from family guy) in the second series and beyong cause i swear the voice in the first ins't the same as in the second series................

But back on topic, i am gald it is not just me who doesn't know who any of these people are i thought they were all american known actors.....
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 04:17:17 AM »
Lacey Chabert was the voice of Meg for awhile.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 04:04:33 AM »
haha hmmm...They forgot Lil Jon' (Joking)

Nintendo DS Person: What did you think about the NDS

Lil Jon': WHAT?

Nintendo Person: Did you think it was crazy?

Lil Jon': Awww SKEET SKEET..*coughs* I mean YEeeeeeeeAH!!..

and Vs. X-box
Who will win?