Author Topic: Evangelion  (Read 12154 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Evangelion
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
I've always wanted to get into this anime, but I'm not sure which one is the best one. Should I watch the original (and if I do, is the dub very good?) or should I watch one of the now three different movies instead?

I would suggest watching the 2 recent Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 movies (yes, that's really what they're called), along with the upcoming (likely named) Evangelion 3.33 movie releasing in Japan this year.  While the movie series starts as a minor remake of the TV series, by midway through movie 2 they've spun into their own (IMO better) story with much more proactive characters & significantly less emo angst.

Hell, just the way Shinji's been re-written to be a significantly more tolerable character makes those movies better than the original TV series + pretentious movies.  It also helps that the movies look phenomenal as well, including new spins on old Angels that work so much better now (like the geometric Angel at the end of Movie 1 that's constantly changing its shape to adapt to new situations, rather than its TV series counterpart that basically floats over to passively drill into NERV.

Honestly, the original TV series certainly isn't bad and has some incredibly powerful moments around the later half of the series, but we've just had other series since that have done what it did more consistently and in a more entertaining way since (like RahXephon).  So you're better off with the new movies.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »
I would suggest watching the 2 recent Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 movies (yes, that's really what they're called), along with the upcoming (likely named) Evangelion 3.33 movie releasing in Japan this year.  While the movie series starts as a minor remake of the TV series, by midway through movie 2 they've spun into their own (IMO better) story with much more proactive characters & significantly less emo angst.

The first two movies in the new series are called Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone and Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance. The third one is already out in Japan (it released in November 2012 and grossed almost as much as the first two combined) and is called Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
So I won't lose anything in just watching the three movies? I was once told that I should Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood instead of watching the original. I ended up watching the original first then Brotherhood, and I felt like I benefited from doing so. Is this the same thing?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
It wouldn't take you long to watch the TV series, it was only 26 episodes.

Oh, and this re-boot movie series is a tetralogy (4 films), so another one is gonna come out. No North American release date for #3 is known yet.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
Yeah, I might as well watch the show too. Nothing to lose, right? I just needed to know from those who have seen them what is the suggested path.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 10:49:05 PM »

The first two movies in the new series are called Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone and Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance. The third one is already out in Japan (it released in November 2012 and grossed almost as much as the first two combined) and is called Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo.

Those were the theatrical cuts, yes, but the superior home video versions with extended footage (which, by the way, are the only versions you can purchase in North America) are called...

Evangelion 1.11
Evangelion 2.22

Yes, there are pretentious subtitles as well, but the numbering I gave is correct. Suck it.  :P: ;)

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »
So I won't lose anything in just watching the three movies? I was once told that I should Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood instead of watching the original. I ended up watching the original first then Brotherhood, and I felt like I benefited from doing so.

You chose...wisely. Brotherhood is a pale shadow of the original FMA anime, despite the original series going off-manga (for the better, IMO).

I personally don't think you lose anything of actual substance skipping the incredibly overrated original Evangelion TV series, outside an amusing battle won via Dance Dance Revolution (yes, really).  The characters that more or less get kicked the curb in the movies got kicked to the curb as well in the TV series.  And in the process, you're also spared the urge to go destroy something every 5 seconds as Shinji endlessly whines and doesn't do ****, which is what the TV series is like.

The key point between the movies and the TV series, I think, is that whereas the TV series is endlessly pessimistic, emo, and mean-spirited (as happens when your director is undergoing severe depression at the time)...the movies are much more optimistic and the characters more proactive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:01:16 PM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:23 PM »
Actually, I loved Brotherhood more than the original show, but the original show had a few moments and directions with some of the characters that I liked better. For example, Mustang being the one to have killed Winry's parents was a neat idea.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
Actually, I loved Brotherhood more than the original show, but the original show had a few moments and directions with some of the characters that I liked better. For example, Mustang being the one to have killed Winry's parents was a neat idea.

Eh, Brotherhood was good, but I found it lacked one big thing that made the original series special: an emotional connection with the characters (particularly the brothers).  The original FMA series is a show about the brothers, what they've gone through, and what they're willing to do for each other.  Brotherhood by contrast is a more typical action series, focused on (very well-animated) battle after battle after battle after battle after battle.  ::) The plot points it hits lack emotional resonance for me, and they often feel like someone ticking off an item on a checklist.  Towards the end of that show, I largely stopped caring about what was going on, because the story really didn't seem well-paced and the fight scenes got tiresome.  Several scenes that should have felt big and epic just felt kind of dull, whereas the original FMA series had several very memorable scenes towards the end IMO.

Plus, I liked the rather nutty way that original FMA series goes towards the end.  That said, Brotherhood does have a far more satisfying ending.  Still, at least the original FMA got a much better movie than the incredibly lame Sacred Star of Milos Brotherhood movie.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:09:46 PM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
What part of the Brotherhood continuity is the movie supposed to take place, anyway? Is it a direct sequel like the 2003 show got, or is it a side story?

I actually hated how wacky the end of the 2003 show got. It pretty much threw out what they had been building for 45 episodes before that and went in a completely opposite direction. I was pretty disgusted. Tge dissatisfying ending probably didn't help matters.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
What part of the Brotherhood continuity is the movie supposed to take place, anyway? Is it a direct sequel like the 2003 show got, or is it a side story?

I think it's supposed to take place somewhere near the middle of the series, after Ed & Al discovered "THE TRUTH" about the philosopher stone and Al gained the ability to hand-slap alchemy.  Not that it matter, really. That movie is so utterly inconsequential and dull.

I actually hated how wacky the end of the 2003 show got. It pretty much threw out what they had been building for 45 episodes before that and went in a completely opposite direction. I was pretty disgusted. Tge dissatisfying ending probably didn't help matters.

Well, I appreciate that when handed a situation that has killed other projects (Hellsing, etc.) with the anime having caught up to the manga, the director decided to take the show in its own direction with his own unique (often social commentary-filled) vision all wrapped-up in the concept of Equivalent Exchange.  Plus, I thought the original FMA series had better comic timing as well, whereas it comes off a bit forced in Brotherhood.

As for the ending, I liked the sheer nerve it took to do it.  It is a somewhat bittersweet ending: both brothers are restored to their original bodies, but the price they paid for that was to live in separate worlds and for Al to lose all memory of his time with his brother.  Then in Conqueror of Shamballa, the brothers give up their home in exchange for being together again with their memories intact. Equivalent exchange. It's quite elegant, actually, aside from Winry getting completely screwed-over.

Like I said, Brotherhood is certainly a more satisfying ending, but the original FMA took chances.  Some paid off, and some were more than a little goofy.  But I'll take the sheer passion you can see in every frame of the original series over the by-the-books, panel-by-panel, literal, soul-less manga translation of Brotherhood (which is still a good series, but I don't like it as much).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:30:09 PM by broodwars »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

I personally don't think you lose anything of actual substance skipping the incredibly overrated original Evangelion TV series, outside an amusing battle won via Dance Dance Revolution (yes, really).

you know i was about to go into a tyrade against the show, saying its the most overrated thing ever and doesn't really deserve it's title as "the best anime's ever" as the OP put it but whatever, seems like the only person posting in this thread who has seen it agrees anyways. Although Evangelion was the first anime i've ever seen outside of just casually watching whatever was on Adult Swim or Toonami (back in the day)

Also I think Evangelion 3.33 is out now but i don't know if it's been subtitled or not (then again, that could be moot if you're waiting for the Dub).

As for FMA I've only seen brotherhood, and am saving the original when i feel like re watching it. However, i'll probably give it a shot soon, since i didn't really realize it was that different. And for Helsing Ultimate I deliberately waited for the entire series to be over before i started watching it and now i can watch the whole thing without forgetting what happened when i left off haha
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:41:59 PM by Lithium »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:38 AM »
Lol. 10 year old thread.

There are some names I haven't seen for a while.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
Not my fault. A bot posted in the thread, so I started doing so also. :P

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

Evangelion itself is ok but, the things that clearly have roots in it can be hilarious.  Like Martian Successor Nadesico or Vandread
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »
Evangelion itself is ok but, the things that clearly have roots in it can be hilarious.  Like Martian Successor Nadesico or Vandread

Yeah, I loved Vandread. What an incredibly goofy show, but man when it hits that second season it just turns a corner and never looks back. It's also capped-off by probably the most satisfying Epic Goddamn Space Battle (TM) I've seen in any anime, and that includes the big battle with Dolza's main fleet in Earth's orbit in Robotech/Macross.

Unfortunately, although Nadesico is an incredibly entertaining TV series, it's followed-up by just a godawful movie. IMO, only Gatekeepers 21 rivals Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness in how it seems to strive towards something approaching "anti-joy".

Incidentally, if you liked Nadesico, you'd probably enjoy Gatekeepers, which plays off a similar level of self-parody, but has a  spin towards seriousness towards the middle of the show that ends up surprisingly working.  Unfortunately, unlike Vandread I don't think Gatekeepers was ever license-rescued from Geneon.  Just never...EVER...subject yourself to Gatekeepers 21, which seems to go out of its way to kill anything you might have loved about the original series in only 1/4 the time.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
I find that a lot of enjoyable goofy animes kill themselves with the halfway serious twist.

I would also like to someday watch the Irresponsible Captain Tyler. 

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
I find that a lot of enjoyable goofy animes kill themselves with the halfway serious twist.

I would also like to someday watch the Irresponsible Captain Tyler. 

I haven't watched Tyler in probably close to a decade. From what I remember, though, Tyler's a very inconsistent show that I thought got progressively less interesting as it went on. It's an amusing concept, but we've had better comedic series since like Full Metal Panic (& it's sequel series).

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
Yeah, irresponsible captain tyler is alright, its worth your time if you feel like watching somthing with an overwhelming early ninetys vibe though, the intro especially. It's incredibly goofy at least if that's what you're looking for.