Author Topic: PS2 hard drive / FF XI  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
PS2 hard drive / FF XI
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:36:50 AM »
Alright well... I really want to get into this game when it comes out.  I've never really played an MMO before but I'm dying to try it and I'm loving what I read about XI.  The main problem is I am quite poor, and seeing as I'm a console addict, the game will be a 140 dollar investment for me to get into...

Anyway, my question is, I can see where the broad band adaptor will come in handy in the future, but what is on the horizon for the hard drive.  Will I ever use the thing again?  I'm not near as up on ps2 news as I am on Nintendo news so I need some help...  My wallet would be happy if you talked me out of it.  =P  But i really want it...

PS.  With so many people complaining about how much FF:CC supposedly "costs" how come people never complain about how much XI is gonna cost?  =P  Just thought it was another funny Sony/Nintendo perception weirdness from the general public.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:PS2 hard drive / FF XI
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 11:48:41 AM »
I suggest getting it on PC.  1) the hard drive is useless, other than for FFXI, 2) I already made my point.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: PS2 hard drive / FF XI
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »
See, PC requires a video card purchase...so either way, I'm expensive.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 11:57:37 AM »
You can use a video card for a ton of other things, though- a PS2 hard drive will pretty much just let you play FFXI.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 12:00:18 PM »
So there really aren't any games on the horizon that will make use of the thing?
---------------------

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 12:27:24 PM »
Not that I know of- even if there were, I'm sure you would still get more use out of a new video card.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 01:01:25 PM »
Alright, here comes some ignorance... If i play for the pc, would i still use a gamepad? or is the pc version tailored for a mouse keyboard situation?
---------------------

Offline DrForester

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 01:08:13 PM »
You can use a keybaord to play FFXI on PC.  It very easily supports a gamepad, it's set up to work almost identical to how PS2's will be used, though with the PC you can change everything to fit your preference.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 01:19:08 PM »
Alright I apparently don't need a new graphics card....  I found their benchmark program for the game and I managed to score 3660 on low resolution and 3018 on high resolution.  Kind of surprising seeing as my video card is below the minimum requirments...I guess my machine just kicks that much ass...
---------------------

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 04:02:29 AM »
I found the combo for $99 myself.  And yeah other games will have additional content added and of course custom sound tracks.

Offline Vondor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 08:54:45 AM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
I suggest getting it on PC.  1) the hard drive is useless, other than for FFXI, 2) I already made my point.

Hardly, for one it can be used to store game saves ( would you rather keep buying memory cards ? ) this is important to someone like me who has a fair number of games and easily wants multi saves of each game, also at this stage it will give faster loading times ( this is always nice ), it also has multimedia options ( such as storing music etc ), and of course the two most important things...it will support online games with mods, downloads and of course Sony has said they plan to release free demos to download, who knows what else it will feature or what kind of support it will have.

FF 11 ( or online ) simply comes with it, which you would need a HD for it anyway, the PS2 and GC on its own could not support a game like this, what I am really looking forward to is if we get the 20 ! new downloadable Resident Evil Outbreak scenarios, now that is just darn cool !

Looks at this way, you could spend a fair bit of cash a year on OPSM mags for demos, or just download them without having to spend money on crappy magazines and only wait through your connection speeds, I think this is a pretty nice feature, or how about the jukebox fuction for music it has ?
Just imagine if Nintendo had a HD, with say downloads for zelda or other games and even demos, that would rock just like this will

Saying the HD has no use other than FF11 is a pretty ignorant and uninformed view, thats not trying to flame, just being honest.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 04:23:23 PM »
My question is how much use is Sony going to get out of it? Will the 3rd parties jump on the bandwagon or only the select few (Like Squarenix, Capcom, and I'm willing to bet Konami is going to do something on it) Or just go 'meh. we're a bunch of lazy developers who don't give a...'

Does this gurantee that the PS3 will have one built in or a la carte? Afterall, it will be backwards compatible.

Be interesting if the next GTA makes use of the HD. Downloadable missions maybe?

P.S PaleZer0 made a good point about this vs the Crystal Chronicle debaucle. Oh the hippocracy of it all! Its a conspiracy I tell you!  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 05:17:50 PM »
I got it on PC about a week ago and I am seriously enjoying it.  Its almost too addicting...Now i sit in my apartment trying to get work done and both Pokemon and FF XI  are calling out to me.  
---------------------

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 06:27:35 PM »
I've been playing the PC version for about 4 months.  I did go ahead and pick up the PS2 version.

Here's a quick pro/con .  

PS2:

Cheaper Version
Play on TV
Does Not Lock Out Computer
Game is more expensive

PC:

More Expensive If You Need Hardware
Easy Keyboard and Controller Support
Game Is Cheaper
PC Locked - (When playing FFXI, you can not get back to windows or minimize the game without logging out, if you do it will force log you out, this was done to prevent cheating).

NOTE:  This lock out reason is why I got the PS2 version, so when I want to I can play the PS2 version and still be able to acess stuff on my PC.  Anyone else thinking of getting both, I do have to congratulate Square, using existing PC account on the PS2 version was very very easy to do.

The BIGGEST difference in the two is graphics, and it is a BIG difference.  

The PS2 version, to be blunt, looks horrible.  The lowest settings on the PC look a little better.  In video's you see names above characters and enemies, in the PS2 version, they are there, but you CAN NOT read them unless you select them, and see the name in the corner of the screen, or you get very very close to them.  It's sad because if you do have a PC that can max out FFXI, you are presented with an absolutly beautiful game.

"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline VAVA Mk-2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 08:22:03 PM »
I knew the PS2 HDD add on would suck. Not a chance in hell I am buying it to play FF.

Mod: Watch your language, buddy.  There are better ways to express your feelings about Final Fantasy.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 10:12:26 PM »
:gb2teamxbox:
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile