Author Topic: SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea  (Read 7883 times)

Offline Ocarina Blue

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2004, 09:44:30 PM »
I agree. I remember my friend buying Pokemon Blue and we stayed together for 10 hours and went through an unbelievable number of batteries. The 8-bit gen is 1st class nostaligia, even the handhelds ^_^

Even once I'd scrounged enough money to get a GameBoy, I had to scrounge futher for an A/C adapter before I got any real action from it
Om mani padme hum.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 03:32:43 AM »
Errm, didn't you people have that big GB battery pack? That thing lasted about ten hours with a full charge. Sure, it's big but it makes your GB a lot lighter.

I doubt the connectivity on the PSP will be any better than the one on the GBA, but people will still praise Sony for it like they praise them for their controllers. Heck, you should beat them for errors, not praise!

kirby: That was a mistranslation, Iwata didn't say that.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
RE:SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2004, 03:42:56 AM »
I'm glad a few people mentioned the VMU's .

Yeah, do you really blame Sony?  They are taking away an advantage from a competitor even if it's a small one.  It just a smart business move.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2004, 06:49:18 AM »
"I bet money that no one will thrash Sony when Namco decides to port Pac-Man VS to PS2/3/PSP"

I don't know if that would even be possible.  Didn't Nintendo program and design the game?  Unless they gave it to Namco I'm sure they own part of the rights to it.

"Do you honestly think Sony can do better? When Ninty doesn't do enough with it, they get bashed, and when they do something great with it(FF:CC and Four Swords) they get bashed for it...It's completely uncalled for... "

It's possible.  It may just be speculation since I haven't seen it as a quote but supposedly Sony has suggested the idea of making titles that are designed to be played on the PS2 at home and then you load the save to the PSP and play it on the road.  That's a really generic idea and one that came up a lot when Nintendo announced their connectivity but Nintendo has never gone with this idea and even though it's not too creative it's an awesome and practical idea.  If Sony has a strong lineup of titles like this I'd say they would be doing something better with the connectivity than Nintendo ever has.

And I feel that most of the bashing that the Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles receive is deserved.  The idea of using a controller with a screen is pretty cool.  However multiplayer games that require $100 controllers is a stupid idea and that seems to be ALL that Nintendo can come up with.  So in order to enjoy any of these great connectivity games I need to have four friends over (that's not too hard but it's not like I can just pick-up and play the game whenever I want) and they all have to have GBAs (which is not as easy to pull off).  It's fun but it's very niche so if that's all Nintendo can think of connectivity will never catch on.  A one player game that requires a GBA is a MUCH better idea and is the only type of game that requires a console-to-portable connection that will ever catch on.

And after playing Crystal Chronicles for several hours now I've come to the conclusion that not only is the connectivity requirement for multiplayer quite useless (the individual data is cool as an extra but not a requirement) and the supposed advantage of not having to pause for menu selection is a big pain in the ass since it leaves me open for attack while I'm trying to use a phoenix down.  On bosses selecting anything from the menu is suicide.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2004, 09:13:40 AM »
Those damn Sony and MS fanboys better get down on their knees and thank us for giving them:

-The Analog stick
-Contoller Rumble
-Revolutionary games (Without nintendo, we may all be playing a pretty, 3D version of Pong right now.)

And instead, they call us "kiddie" and say we have outragous ideas, which Sony and MS soon copy. The fanboys then call Sony and/or MS's "idea" great and unique. Grrrr..........
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2004, 12:12:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Oldskool
Those damn Sony and MS fanboys better get down on their knees and thank us for giving them:

-The Analog stick
-Contoller Rumble
-Revolutionary games (Without nintendo, we may all be playing a pretty, 3D version of Pong right now.)

And instead, they call us "kiddie" and say we have outragous ideas, which Sony and MS soon copy. The fanboys then call Sony and/or MS's "idea" great and unique. Grrrr..........

Analog Stick = PC first
Rumble = Arcade and PC first
Revolutionary games, while no where near as many as Nintendo, both MS and Sony have had their classics, and very inovative titles.  MS has done lots with PC, sony had the Eye Toy, and the very underated game Vib Ribbon.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2004, 01:34:05 PM »
Hooking one device up to another device is not a new or unique idea.  It's how you use that connectivity that matters.  Relax, kids.  Nintendo is still one of the kings of innovation and risk taking, and I'm sure that won't stop anytime soon.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2004, 01:52:03 PM »
It will be interesting to see if Sony can use the connectivity idea better than Nintendo....  

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2004, 03:04:41 AM »
"Nintendo is still one of the kings of innovation and risk taking, and I'm sure that won't stop anytime soon. "

Yet it avoids online gaming like it's a plague.  .

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2004, 03:37:16 AM »
The "Play at home and continue with your portable" idea isn't possible with the GBA due to the differences in technology. The PSP will be much closer to the PS2 and easily allow for this, the problem is you still have to have the game for both formats. Since you can continue between versions both have to play identical. So you'd be paying twice for the same game. I can't see developers (especially bad ones) giving a game two sets of graphics (one for the PS2, one for the PSP), they'll take the short route out and make the home version graphically identical to the PSP one. Since we're likely talking about muliplatform games here, you can expect the PSP to drag down the GC's and XB's version's visuals, too.
No that anybody would buy the PSP, though, its retail price of USD450 is a bit too high.

Offline cubedcinder128

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2004, 03:53:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Ymeegod
"Nintendo is still one of the kings of innovation and risk taking, and I'm sure that won't stop anytime soon. "

Yet it avoids online gaming like it's a plague.  .

Because it has not yet proven to be a profitable form of gaming. Can't argue with that.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." - Killer Instinct

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2004, 04:26:16 AM »
AFAIK Nintendo does give online gaming a try, occasionally... It's quite simple:

1. they try it
2. it fails
3. they wait a bit
4. goto 1

And everyone jumps on Nintendo during phase 3, since it's sooo fashionable these days.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2004, 04:57:18 AM »
"Because it has not yet proven"

That's what's risk is all about bud.  Instead of nintendo attempting an online game they simply stated "it's not going be profitable enough".  It would have been interesting to see them have at least ONE title out especially after stating they would.

Instead they are throwing MILLIONS into a GBA connection gimick or the new DS.  Might as well make a VB2 while there are at it.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2004, 07:30:56 AM »
They had online stuff including downloadable games for the previous machines. After 15 years they should know what's profitable and what's not.
Either way, noting prevents third parties from going online. Nintendo doesn't want to set up servers themselves. Who can blame them, if they don't see any point in that (except to shut up the vocal minority...) they have the right to stay out of it. Come on, if online was such a big market on the GC, don't you think more third parties would be tapping into it?

But let's stop this debate. We had it often enough and it never went anywhere. Maybe we should have an official "Bitchin'" Thread, where people are free to say what they don't like and all the arguments are neatly archieved for later bitchers who think they have a radically new idea.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2004, 06:15:53 PM »
The majority still doesn't like pay to play, it is half the argument against XBL, so where is the money in online play?  Nintendo is a company guys, and money drives it just like every other.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2004, 07:05:08 PM »
Oh, and N repeatedly stated they don't want to charge people who already payed 50/60 bucks for the game itself.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2004, 01:03:42 AM »
Which removes any profit.  Definatly don't blame them.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2004, 03:41:57 AM »
"Come on, if online was such a big market on the GC, don't you think more third parties would be tapping into it?"

And that's why the GC isn't getting the latest MK game.  It's going be pushed for online play.

It's going be interesting to see if Ubi-soft keeps the online play for SCPT for the GC version.  :0  

And SONY doesn't charge a bloody dime for a majority of it's online titles and yet it's still profitable as all hell.  

$4.17 a month (xbox's live's) isn't awhole neither when you factor in how long you're extending your gameplay.

The only big gripe about online fees is not all of them have pre-paid cards for them.  Generally I try to avoid using my CC since I usually forget to close the account until I'm already billed .

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
i'm surprised mouse_clicker hasn't chimed in on this one yet.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2004, 07:22:05 PM »
Ymeegod: Neither Sony nor MS make profit from online gaming, that's the problem.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2004, 07:42:33 PM »

And that's why the GC isn't getting the latest MK game. It's going be pushed for online play.

No, MK isn't coming to the Gamecube because Midway is almost bankrupt and has to cut their losses somewhere. It has nothing to do with online play.

Kingvudu: I've stated my case for why online play isn't reasonable at the moment, and nobody has brought anything new to the table- I'd just be beating a dead horse (which is why I want a cap put on discussion of it). Besides, I have a feeling I've pissed off Bloodworth enough.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2004, 09:48:28 PM »
MC - you do know there was another online poll at GamesFAQ.com?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2004, 09:54:44 PM »
Oh hey, look at this, we're talking about online again.  Stay on topic next time.  I'm shutting this down since it seems no one's talked about PSP connectivity for a long time.  See my comments on the DICE panel discussion for a good contrast of Nintendo's online perspective compared to the other companies .
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers