Author Topic: Cowboy Bebop & Anime  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Metaphysical Spirit

• The Aggressive Coconut!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Cowboy Bebop & Anime
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2004, 07:31:16 AM »
You have to be Japanese to create Anime??? It's called American Anime. Sure it doesn't sound right, but it uses the same drawing techniques as an anime would. That's why I consider Reign The Conquer an Anime.  
I'm aggresive, and I'm the rarest of the rare! Fear me Now! For I am....

THE AGGRESSIVE COCONUT!!!!!!!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2004, 08:59:25 AM »
The definition of anime differenciates between people.  Some poeple thinks it's the style of animation, some people thinks it's what origin the creator or production studio (Japanese =P) and others think it has to do with the target audience. (also japanese), and still others just think of it as "animation"  So in some minds there is "american anime" but in others saying "american anime" is an oxymoron.

I think of anime as the syle of animation, so yes, there is Anerican anime.  but not all agree.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2004, 10:14:03 AM »
Anime and American Anime are two different things.  American Animes are nearly always created to leech off of other franchises, with little to no original ideas in them.  In almost all cases, they are made for the sole purpose of making money off of small children - and this is the reason why they are generally so horrible.  Japanese anime, on the other hand, appeals to children as well as adults, and the more mature ones are treated even more seriously than the serious dramas we we see here.  I'm not saying that American Anime is always horrible, but it is almost always horrible.

I know that Cowboy Bebop has very good voice acting (especially for an anime), but even though it is good, much of the original meaning of the words is lost.  Not only do the characters sound different, resulting in different personailities (such as in Faye's case), but many small things are ignored.  With the Japanese (and generally with subtitles), you end up getting the full meaning, with nothing cut out due to making the voices match the characters, etc..  This kind of thing happens in every single anime there is, unless it's written in English in the first place.

Oh, and Trigun has horrible English voice acting...  

Offline Metaphysical Spirit

• The Aggressive Coconut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 06:38:16 PM »
I see where you are coming from Searanox, and I agree with you completly. Reign The Conquer, Aeon Flux, and The Maxx (Done by the same person) are very creative and definatly not targeted to make money... at least off of children. That's why I said I consider these Animes.  
I'm aggresive, and I'm the rarest of the rare! Fear me Now! For I am....

THE AGGRESSIVE COCONUT!!!!!!!

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
RE:Cowboy Bebop & Anime
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2004, 03:17:16 AM »
Besides the dubbed crap we see on TV all the time, I am an anime newcomer. I've seen the dubbed version of Princess Monenoke, the subtiled and dubbed versions of spirited away, about 5 minutes of X (My first reaction: "WTF! Whats with the all the swords, blood, and explosions? Wheres the plot gone?") and an episode of Cowboy Bebop. I really have to see some more, but Britain ain't the best place to get anime. If I only watched anime years ago when I lived in the US of A...

Edit: Holy crap! WTF happened to my picture! Lemme change it...
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2004, 04:41:17 AM »
Your avatar?  It was most likely too big.  Maximum avatar size here is 64x64 pixels, and yours is 119x86 pixels.  

Being in the UK isn't really an excuse.  You can get anime illegally, after all (come on, you all know you do it), unless of course you're the type with those...those...what're they called...thingamajigers...ah, yes, that's right.  Morals.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2004, 05:01:18 AM »
If the anime is liscened I'll buy it.  But most of the anime I get is off Animesuki which is unliscenced and perfectly legal to download.  Why don't I buy any?  Cause I don't have a DVD player in my room and I wouldn't be able to watch anything.....;__;

But I did see this box set of Full Metal Panic.  What's full metal panic like?  I know I can get Full Metal Panic Fmouffu (or something weird like that) off animesuki for free........but y'know, the original's probably better.  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2004, 05:13:48 AM »
The orignial full metal panic is awesome but it ends really badly.  Not Evangelion bad though, so if you have the money to spare you should pick it up (if you're against just downloading it using Bittorrent- it is still out there).  I prefer Fumoffu though, it is hilarious.  Download it now before it's licensed.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2004, 08:17:35 AM »
Full Metal Panic is really, really good...And the only reason it ends "badly" is because it's not the end of the series...   (There are 6 volumes in the manga, with the first 3 being the first season of FMP...Fumoffu is based off a small mini-series...One last season will most likely be based on the last 3 volumes)

FMP is more serious oriented, while Fumoffu is comedy-based...Both are worth your time... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2004, 09:33:35 AM »
How much fanservice does Fumoffu have?

And why the change to a Kaolla Su avatar?

Don't make me bust-out GTO or Kimura-sensei.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2004, 12:52:18 PM »
Well not much as a whole, but the last episode goes pretty far in terms of it...

(I switched to Su because I'm really into Love Hina at the moment...And Su is just so damn cute! (^o^) )
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2004, 10:54:19 PM »
  i wounder which anime from manga do you like to watch
becasue there are two differant types( for people who doesnt know)

Kid manga with:
cowboy bebop
sprited away
dragon ball Z

Then adult manga with:
Akira series
Blood the last vampire
street fighter alpha

obiousy some people here like kid managa and some adult manga
so tell me, i prefer adult manga cause i can only get adult anime from my store

anime is manga right???

I hate long paragraphs, because when i begin reading i fall asleep.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2004, 03:04:48 AM »

anime is manga right???

hhahahahha.....NO.  YOU ARE WRONG.

Manga = the "comics"
Anime= the show

Alot of anime is based off of manga, but they are not one and the same.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2004, 04:07:30 AM »

Originally posted by: DarkSyphor

cowboy bebop  <--- OMG WTF U TALKN BOUT MNA!!!??
sprited away
dragon ball Z

As you can see by the convenient quote, I'm just wondering how in God's holy name you can classify Cowboy Bebop as a "kid's anime".  There are sexual themes, blood, frequent swearing, an advanced and tragic plot, as well as many more adult themes, and yet you classify it as a childrens' show?  Sorry, but where I come from, one plus one does not equal three.

As for your question about anime and manga, manga, as KnowsNothing pointed out, are the comic/still forms of Japanese animation, whereas anime is the animated form.  If you draw Japanese cartoons, 99% of the time, it will be manga.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2004, 04:30:39 AM »
Yeah, DS you definitely mixed up Cowboy Bebop and Street Fighter.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2004, 05:37:32 PM »
I don't consider Spirited Away to be for kids as well.  Sure, it's about a 10 year old girl, but it's an anime for all ages.

I've watched it with my parents and they really enjoyed it.

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2004, 08:04:55 PM »

KnowsNothing check your info

There are two differant types of manga a comic and company

KnowsNothing check these website
www.manga.com
www.mit.edu/people/rei/Expl

and if anyone has cartoon network you would realise that cowboy bebop is shown and one more thing i dont get things mixed up any more

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2004, 08:37:03 PM »
You should've said something like "Manga Video," distributors of such hits as Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, and Street Fighter II V, and Macross Plus, to be clear.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2004, 12:05:20 AM »

anime is manga right???

I said no, it is not.  I think that what I said is still true, thank you.  I did not visit those sites, because Professional666 already answered and is probably correct, you were not being clear enough.  What I said was in simplest form, and it's pretty much safe to assume that manga = comcis and anime = show.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2004, 09:42:26 AM »

Originally posted by: DarkSyphor
and if anyone has cartoon network you would realise that cowboy bebop is shown and one more thing i dont get things mixed up any more

The Cartoon Network does show some animes that are more adult-oriented, albeit with some censoring, changes in the translation, and on their "Adult Swim" segment, which airs later on at night (Cowboy Bebop is on at around 11 PM if I remember correctly).  Just because the Cartoon Network shows it does not mean it's a childrens' show.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2004, 11:32:25 AM »
Bebop was moved to 1:30 AM and 4:30 AM on weekdays.  Not times for the kiddies.  I have Cartoon Network thanx, and watch adult swim almost everyday- not all of it though.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline DarkSyphor

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2004, 08:38:29 PM »
We finaly got that cleared up

Has anyone seen a Akira 2 movie

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2004, 06:27:58 PM »
there is no akira 2, but if you enjoyed Akira, pick up "Memories", it has finaly been released on DVD in the USA.  It's a film with 3 short (And completly unrelated films).  all were written by Katsuhiro Omoto, the first two were directed by Koji Morimoto, who did one of the Animatrix shorts, and Tensai Okamura, who worked on Wofl's rain and the 3rd part was directed by Katsuhiro Omoto himself.

The 3 films vary, the first is a drama about a group of space travelers who encounter a derelict spaceship after getting a distress signal from an old opera singer.  The 2nd is more light hearted, about a salary man who takes an unknown drug that turns him into a walking biological weapon and he doesnt know it.  The 3rd is about a family in a town who's daily life revolves arround firing cannons at an unknown enemy.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"