Author Topic: What If Bayonetta 2 Is Successful?  (Read 15864 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
What If Bayonetta 2 Is Successful?
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
If there was one game announced for the Wii U that would make me buy the system new it would have to be Bayonetta 2. The game is simply amazing with its art style, graphics, high production values, and over the top game play.  Considering that it is strange to see a game of this caliber for a Nintendo system in the midst of the third parties turning their back on the system. However, what if Bayonetta 2 is successful? What will it mean for Nintendo and the Wii U?

First, it means that Nintendo and Platinum Games will solidify their bond and make more quality titles together. Secondly, it means that Nintendo and SEGA will partner up for more Wii U games (exclusives). Lastly, it will send a message to third party developers that the Wii U is a viable platform to make games like Bayonetta.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: What If Bayonetta 2 Is Successful?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
It won't be.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
I hope it will be. It can be I think however Nintendo would need to seriously push it. However they won't. They refuse to even push and advertise their own software.  Nintendo could make it a success if they gave a damn but they won't. They'll put it out to die. The same thing will happen with Wonderful 101.  I do not believe at all that it will get any advertising.

It's situation where I think people will seriously question why Nintendo even bothered to fund the games. This  is how they acted with their own Wii games. I see no reason to think they'll act any different. Games that did well, did well in inspite of them I feel not because they pushed them.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
I hope it will be. It can be I think however Nintendo would need to seriously push it. However they won't. They refuse to even push and advertise their own software.  Nintendo could make it a success if they gave a damn but they won't. They'll put it out to die. The same thing will happen with Wonderful 101.  I do not believe at all that it will get any advertising.

Except I saw TONS of commercials for LEGO City Stories, so I think they will do a good job.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
"What if Bayonetta 2 is Successful?"

Then we can tack that onto the short list of Platinum games that were, and Platinum will continue to make games.  Other than that, you can't read anything else into it. Nintendo's had some decent-selling "core game" 3rd party exclusives before on previous consoles, and those never really led to anything. One game won't make a damn bit of difference. We'll see what happens if 3-4 games in a similar vein sell well on Wii U.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
It's a game I am looking forward to so I'll be purchasing it.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
If it's around the sales of the first game (which is on that shortlist of successful P* games), Sega raises the price for the 3rd installment and it probably goes multiplat again.

If it's 5-6 million, I think Nintendo bites the bullet, buys the IP rights and possibly puts in a bid for Platinum.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
Well I'm hoping more jump on the bandwagon before the release of Bayonetta 2. Starting development in 2014 will mean we won't seeing much until 2016-2017.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
Then we can look forward to Bayonetta 3 on the PS4 and and Xbox One, skipping the Wii U. Sega will then go completely bankrupt and shutter their doors forever.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »
If Bayonetta 2 is successful then there is no way that Nintendo would allow Bayonetta 3 to be any other system than Wii U. Nintendo would simply sprinkle more money onto SEGA and PG to get the same exclusive deal as the second game.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »
Bayo 2, i think was just a bone for fans to entice them into buying Wii U. It's not their fault that some "fans" found out they hatred towards Nintendo overweights their love for Bayo.

W101 might have more chance to break out. Nintendo, do some promo cartoon shorts or something, show them on Cartoon Network and Nick and it might be successful. Their Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion ads were good.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
Day 1 purchase for me.  That makes two from this forum. Success...here we come. Purchasing Platinum Games is an expensive price tag...even for the Big N. It'd be cool...but then knowing Nintendo since the 80's... Platinum Game will be assigned to revive some franchise unworthy of their talents... Dr.Mario. :(
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 12:02:11 AM »
If Bayonetta 2 is successful then there is no way that Nintendo would allow Bayonetta 3 to be any other system than Wii U. Nintendo would simply sprinkle more money onto SEGA and PG to get the same exclusive deal as the second game.

The only reason Nintendo was able to publish Bayonetta 2 was because no one else wanted it. Platinum's already stated this. If Bayonetta 2 were to become a hit and Platinum decided they wanted to do a Bayonetta 3, someone more willing to throw money around than Nintendo would publish the game instead. Unless Nintendo were to purchase Platinum, which would be extremely unlikely since Nintendo won't even throw money at their own games, any Bayonetta 3 would be on other consoles.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 12:20:17 AM »
Day 1 purchase for me.  That makes two from this forum. Success...here we come. Purchasing Platinum Games is an expensive price tag...even for the Big N. It'd be cool...but then knowing Nintendo since the 80's... Platinum Game will be assigned to revive some franchise unworthy of their talents... Dr.Mario. :(

As I said, if this game is successful then the bond between PG and Nintendo will be solidified. I do not see Nintendo buying PG, but I do see more sequels and new IPs in the works from PG  for the Wii U, and possibly 3DS. Platinum Games could even eventually make a new Star Fox for Nintendo and that would be very welcome.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »
Last time I checked Sega 100% owned the Bayonetta IP. Which is why their logo is on Bayonetta 2. So it wouldn't be up to Platinum Games to shop it around. Naturally you'd want PG making any sequel but it's not up to them. Which is why Bayonetta 2 wasn't going to be made because Sega didn't want to or simply couldn't fund it's development.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 01:07:44 AM »
Last time I checked Sega 100% owned the Bayonetta IP. Which is why their logo is on Bayonetta 2. So it wouldn't be up to Platinum Games to shop it around. Naturally you'd want PG making any sequel but it's not up to them. Which is why Bayonetta 2 wasn't going to be made because Sega didn't want to or simply couldn't fund it's development.

What if the success of Bayonetta 2 is a good enough excuse for Nintendo to buy the right s to the series from SEGA considering that they do not have the cash to further the series?

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »
Possible. I think Nintendo would be crazy not to try to buy it or at least buy into co-ownership if Sega was up for it. Nintendo needs more IPs for the core audience. They'd never make something like this on their own but it's the type of game they need in their stable as it's looking like they'll never get acceptable third party support for their home consoles.

Nintendo needs to make this a success though. It's completely on them as the publisher to build hype for the game. To market the game. To sell people on the game. There are no guaranteed sales here. The primary audience for this game is on the PS3 and 360. The have to sell it to those that never played the series. They have to convince those that still haven't bought a Wii U but played the first game to buy the system for the game if they don't already have one. They have to work for every sale. Same with Wonderful 101.

Here's the thing. I don't know if this current Nintendo can do that. I think they're so used getting by on the power and popularity of their brands they don't know how to get people interested in something new without getting lucky and having something so straight forward (Wii series  for example)  that it sells itself. The marketing for a lot of Wii games was horrible. The marketing, such as it was, for the Wii U was horrible.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:25:09 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 02:48:51 AM »
Possible. I think Nintendo would be crazy not to try to buy it or at least buy into co-ownership if Sega was up for it. Nintendo needs more IPs for the core audience. They'd never make something like this on their own but it's the type of game they need in their stable as it's looking like they'll never get acceptable third party support for their home consoles.

Nintendo needs to make this a success though. It's completely on them as the publisher to build hype for the game. To market the game. To sell people on the game. There are no guaranteed sales here. The primary audience for this game is on the PS3 and 360. The have to sell it to those that never played the series. They have to convince those that still haven't bought a Wii U but played the first game to buy the system for the game if they don't already have one. They have to work for every sale. Same with Wonderful 101.

Here's the thing. I don't know if this current Nintendo can do that. I think they're so used getting by on the power and popularity of their brands they don't know how to get people interested in something new without getting lucky and having something so straight forward (Wii series  for example)  that it sells itself. The marketing for a lot of Wii games was horrible. The marketing, such as it was, for the Wii U was horrible.

Once again you're confusing NOA with all of Nintendo.  NCL and NOE did a great job of advertising new IP's last gen on the Wii and DS in Japan and Europe.  Yeah NOA was slacking for some games but NOA doesn't equal Nintendo as a whole.  Of course Iwata himself is going to be personally more involved in NOA's marketing decisions since he is going to be the CEO of NOA now, since the previous CEO Tatsumi Kimishima went back to Japan.

So really, all your claims are baseless since they only accounted for NOA under their previous CEO.  It's foolish to think things will continue the same way when one of the reasons Iwata said he'll be NOA's new CEO is to help streamlined decision making, meaning even he wasn't happy with some of the marketing decisions NOA was doing.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »
How do we define success for a game like Bayonetta 2?  For a console that's having tepid sales every month and a pretty low install base so far, what percentage of Wii U owners would need to purchase this game to make it a financial success for Platinum Games?

I think Bayonetta 2's best chances come from if they release sometime after Smash Bros & Mariokart come out next year.  That way they'll boost their chances of being a complimentary purchase with a Wii U console and one of those. 

Anyone think it's possible Bayonetta 2's release is only a timed exclusive, and may end up being multiplat a year or so down the line?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:37:47 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
Isn't Nintendo funding development? I doubt they would do so if there was a chance the game could go multiplatform ever.

Bayonetta 2's success would greatly increase if Bayonetta was playable in Super Smash Bros. She over-sexualized so she would need to be toned down (e.g. fewer ass and crotch close-ups), but the exposure to Nintendo fans would help immensely. It worked for Fire Emblem.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
Bayonetta 2's success would greatly increase if Bayonetta was playable in Super Smash Bros. She over-sexualized so she would need to be toned down (e.g. fewer ass and crotch close-ups),

2. IF she will be toned down i'd rather not had her at all.

but the exposure to Nintendo fans would help immensely.
Hopefully it'll work out.

I'm playing first game this week and it's wonderful, if a tad overwhelming with power-ups, items and crafting stuff.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
For Platinum Games Bayonetta 2 is a Success if it makes more money what it has cost them.  Despite Shareholders saying otherwise.
For Nintendo Bayonetta 2 is a Success if it makes more money then it cost them and they see an uptick of Wii U sales tied to this game. (I'm sure they collect usage data so they would now if Bayonetta 2 was among you first games played plus Club Nintendo.)
For Us shoot even getting this game is a win.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
Isn't Nintendo funding development? I doubt they would do so if there was a chance the game could go multiplatform ever.

Bayonetta 2's success would greatly increase if Bayonetta was playable in Super Smash Bros. She over-sexualized so she would need to be toned down (e.g. fewer ass and crotch close-ups), but the exposure to Nintendo fans would help immensely. It worked for Fire Emblem.
Nintendo is the Publisher and a little more.  Platinum is on record multiple times saying if you want Bayonetta 2 on another platform your going to have to talk to Nintendo.

Though, honestly, that is what you want on a Platform Exclusive.  You WANT people to wish the game was on their platform.  It wouldn't be a good exclusive otherwise.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
For Platinum Games Bayonetta 2 is a Success if it makes more money what it has cost them.  Despite Shareholders saying otherwise.
Platinum doesn't have shareholders, they're private.
Though, honestly, that is what you want on a Platform Exclusive.  You WANT people to wish the game was on their platform.  It wouldn't be a good exclusive otherwise.
Too bad Rayman poisoned that well now, now every third part exclusive will be met with reaction: "i'd rather wait till it'll be released on Xbox/Playstation".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »
Bayonetta 2's success would greatly increase if Bayonetta was playable in Super Smash Bros. She over-sexualized so she would need to be toned down (e.g. fewer ass and crotch close-ups),
First, I said "fewer." Second, I don't recall the camera focusing on Zero Suit Samus' ass or at least as gratuitously as Bayonetta does. Third, Bayonetta (and most likely its sequel) are aimed at a different audience than Smash Bros. and have different ratings. Granted, Snake made it into Brawl, but Sakurai went out of his way to not give Snake guns. He was toned down for Smash Bros. and worked well as a character. If Sakurai had to tone down the sexuality to fit the game, so be it. I'd rather have Bayonetta than not at all.