Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321902 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: All Things Netflix! Now you can watch on the GO, no mobile data needed.
« Reply #600 on: April 02, 2020, 08:16:48 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering if trying to keep the audience they have is better than widening the net.  But I guess with the pandemic going on, keeping the audience might be better.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 02, 2020, 11:37:47 PM »
anyway, can someone tell me why I still have a Netflix DVD subscription, and there are 2 DVD's on my tv stand "collecting dust" for who knows how long.

Good thing this crisis got me to shuffle some papers around otherwise I wouldn't have seen them there. I'm about to return them and cancel that subscription. What was I thinking? LOL

Hah! EXACT same thing for me! Been with Netflix for FOREVER and I consciously made the choice to hold onto the DVD subscription "just in case" there was something that was only on DVD I desperately wanted, but in practice that was few and far between. This January I FINALLY pulled the plug on the DVD sub, which makes sense but I'm still a little nostalgic for DVD-based Netflix.

Anyways, just got finished watching "Happy!" season 2. It definitely gets weirder than season 1, and the beginning starts so abruptly without any re-acclimating period that even three episodes in I was trying to dredge up memories of who these season 1 characters were who were running around. I enjoyed it, but I think a weakness for it was that "Happy!" the imaginary friend is not as primary a driver of action as he was in season 1.

I just found out Syfy cancelled the show and did NOT renew for Season 3, which sucks. My rule of thumb though is that as long as something gets two seasons that's better than all the times there's a great show but only a single season.

I wish Netflix would pick it up and "save" it, but I've come to accept that Netflix has become waaay more judicious with their money lately, and they're not a charity whose single purpose is to save all the shows I think get unjustly cancelled... *sniff* There won't be anymore "Anne With An E"... Oh well. At least they saved Longmire for me and gave that show two entire worthwhile seasons to complete it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 03, 2020, 12:59:50 AM »
Main guy returned to Law & Order for his own spin off.
Not likely to get saved now....

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 23, 2020, 11:25:04 PM »
Anybody watch Beastars?

new anime on Netflix, animal class society.
Carnivores and Herbivores, inter-species relationships. It gets into some deep subject matter.
It was actually pretty interesting.

Checked this show out over the past week. Not quite sure what to think, despite finishing the first season. It was interesting at times, but ended up being just a bit too furry for my tastes with the cross-species love story aspects? Apologies if that sounds all judgy; it isn't intended to be.

I think that I enjoyed the uber-geeky and more by-the-numbers Hi Score Girl second season more for my anime coming of age/love story.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:09 AM »
Anybody watch Beastars?

new anime on Netflix, animal class society.
Carnivores and Herbivores, inter-species relationships. It gets into some deep subject matter.
It was actually pretty interesting.

Checked this show out over the past week. Not quite sure what to think, despite finishing the first season. It was interesting at times, but ended up being just a bit too furry for my tastes with the cross-species love story aspects? Apologies if that sounds all judgy; it isn't intended to be.

I think that I enjoyed the uber-geeky and more by-the-numbers Hi Score Girl second season more for my anime coming of age/love story.

Yeah... I have to say it was bit weird at first, actually depending on how you look at it, it could be quite uncomfortable in quite a few places, but overall it ended up being pretty interesting. I hear it's based on some manga or something, and kinda deviated from the source material a bit, but those that were familiar with the source enjoyed it and recommended it, so that's how I even thought to try it out against my initial lack of interest from the trailers.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 24, 2020, 01:03:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't regret watching it and there were plenty of good moments. For example, I liked how they would bring out minor characters in interesting ways, showing different motivations.

The show just had some weirdness too that was harder to figure out how I feel about. Some of that isn't bad - it challenges me to think about what's happening differently. Some of the sexuality in particular got weird because of the conceit of characters all being animals; but the race relationship aspects worked well with the same conceit, so it's a mix of good and... odd.

Curious if others who watched identified with the show as a (prep) high school experience? The whole thing seemed much more like what I'd expect from a college/university experience to me... although with some odd cultural differences from what I'm familiar with.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Did anyone watch Midnight Gospel?  Very curious about impressions or thoughts.

I'm having a hard time parsing it myself. I'd classify about 60% or 70% of the content as garbage, with people whose views of spirituality often seemed to be influenced by a bad mix of personal philosophy influenced by hallucinogenics.... but payoff from the parts that were good might be enough justify the whole thing? There were definitely moments that I appreciated.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Space Force Trailer

https://youtu.be/bdpYpulGCKc

Not sure I'm feeling it, but maybe it'll be funny.....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I didn't laugh a single time during the trailer, I'm not sure they know what tone they are going for.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
The Trailer could just be edited bad.  But it literally looks like it is a military space operations version of The Office.  They are going to have to nail the characters, because this won't have that instant relatability an office comedy would have.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
The real story of the Space Force is already kind of funny, which makes it hard to parody.  Especially if you center the humor around an incompetent boss character running it, which slightly misses where the humor is in the situation.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Extraction was pretty dang good!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:37 PM »
Really love the fact that Studio Ghibli movies are on Netflix (Canada - not sure about other regions) now!
Just a bit disappointed that we're missing Grave of the Fireflies, but there are about 20 movies here already and I'm super keen to watch them with my kids... or alone.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #614 on: June 26, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
HBO Max has the rights in the US.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
Robocop (2014) - The movie was a fine action romp, but feels like it missed the point. It never established a sense of social breakdown or unchecked corporate greed that the original movie had, and without those points the whole plot feels a bit hollow. Characters seem less interesting and never created much attachment or sympathy, pacing moves along quickly enough but by the end of the movie I don't feel like anything was accomplished.

I'm not even a fan of the original, but (and maybe this is clouded since I haven't seen that movie in a long time) this remake suffers in comparison because it just doesn't feel like it has much heart. Kind of an odd thing to say about Robocop?

Curious what others think...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 10, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »
I really like the original 2 Robocop movies, so I was looking forward to the new one, even though I knew it wasn't at all likely  to do the franchise justice. Of course, my lower expectations were justified.

Those original Robocop movies by Paul Verhoeven knew what they were and knew what viewpoint they were trying to take, which is why they feel like they had "heart", like you say. The new one... not so much. I really like Hollywood Blockbusters and have nothing against remakes, but the new Robocop was definitely glossy and shiny and sleek but lacking a strong inner conviction. At least the originals were pointed in their satire and then also over-the-top in their crowd-pleasing action.

And that's a pity because I do like Joel Kinneman, and I really respect Abbie Cornish and am extremely disappointed that she doesn't get better, more central roles. She's a million times better than these side-character wife/romantic lead roles she keeps getting!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 10, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
Watching the new unsolved mysteries on Netflix makes me sad. Especially the case about the black boy who was tortured and hunted by the local racists. Really pissed at the cops on that one.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 10, 2020, 11:55:29 PM »
Watching the new unsolved mysteries on Netflix makes me sad. Especially the case about the black boy who was tortured and hunted by the local racists. Really pissed at the cops on that one.

Yuck. Was considering watching some episodes. Pretty sure that is the kind of "entertainment" that I just don't need in my life right now though. :(

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 24, 2020, 08:39:36 PM »
So it seems Netflix has picked up the entire Dragon Prince saga, which 4 more seasons for a total of 7. ðŸ˜

Personally I like the show, so I'm glad to hear it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 24, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
The Dragon Prince is a decent show. There’s something off about it though. I didn’t particularly like season three, and I’m unsure how they’re getting four more seasons plot wise.. I’ll keep watching. The animation is great.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 26, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
I tried to watch the new Will Ferrell comedy, Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga. I only made it halfway through.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 29, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
I enjoyed Eurovision. At the end of the movie there was a real connection. The movie is silly comedy though. You have to get past that or enjoy that sort of thing. The biggest story in the movie is the relationships. Most movies to me are really predictable and banal, but as far as banal predictable movies goes this is pretty good. There is a lot of payoff at the end.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 02, 2020, 02:35:40 AM »
Umbrella Academy is back, Two episodes in, the second season starts off better than the first one which started slow.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 02, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
I'm trying to finish up HANNA on Amazon Prime before I jump into Umbrella Academy S2

I really hope the second season is better than the first.