Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1548109 times)

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3825 on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
Watched Minecraft: the story of mojang

it was pretty interesting even though I've never actually played minecraft before. The documentary starts off when Notch starts his company, so if you want an origin story about the game itself this isnt really it. It's less about the making of the game and more about the people behind it and the impact the game has had.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: January 02, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
close to $18, come to arizona. I flashed my student discount and it went from $9.50 to $8.50. Never count your popcorn and drinks as part of your ticket, you dont need them.

who said I bought popcorn or a drink? I never pay for that stuff, I either get snacks like candy and drinks at the target on the basement floor of the same plaza, or I have a big dinner before the movie and don't need snacks. This chain of theaters has a $7 Tuesday deal that I usually do but it was a Friday night and a friend was in for the holidays from out of town, so I had to bite the bullet and pay full price.

Adult admission price is at least $14 in NY but this particular chain offers a "directors hall" theater where the seats are cushier and you can choose your seat at the time of buying your ticket, a nice perk when you're as picky as I am, but unfortunately it was all last minute and we were both pressed for time, so we got the first tickets we could, at the premium price, and had to sit in the second row - I've never seen nuts so big :( ugh

i should of phrased that differently. I figured you're north east coast where the ticket prices are twice as much. We also have dollar theaters here where a slightly older movie could be 1 or 2 dollars.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:31:08 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: January 03, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
i hate you.. :-(
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3828 on: January 03, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
They have dollar theatres here in western New York too. Yes the movies are usually ones that have been out for 2 months already, but tickets are only $1-$2.50 (depending on the day of the week and time of day). Of course the seats suck (all on the floor) and not the best quality screens (those older ones where you see black cracks flash sometimes).

The good theatres here usually charge about $8.50 before 6pm and $10 after 6pm. I rarely buy snacks because $6.50 for a small soda is a rip-off. Regal does offer a reward program though, so sometimes I get a free small soda or popcorn.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: January 03, 2013, 11:17:13 PM »
I hate you too now, TJ. Although, if your price for a small drink really is $6.50 I can't loathe you as much as Perm when it comes to these things. I can get a jumbo drink for $5.50, I'd hate to see what you'd pay :P
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: January 04, 2013, 01:21:17 AM »
It's called 20oz bottle in your pocket.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:04 AM »
My unlimited card got a "premium upgrade" for free so now i get to see 3D movies with it and 25% off food and drink. Still worth it for what i pay for it.  Even though the food/drink is still overpriced.

I think i've seen about 25 movies in 2012 so far.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
My unlimited card got a "premium upgrade" for free so now i get to see 3D movies with it and 25% off food and drink. Still worth it for what i pay for it.  Even though the food/drink is still overpriced.

Are you talking about Movie Pass?  I got invited to that and considered it if I could use it to bring my whole family to a movie but... Their are no movie theater in the Nashville area that support it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: January 04, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
Safety Not Guaranteed - Touching, hilarious and filled with odd twists and surpises, this film from the producers of Little Miss Sunshine is exactly what I needed on a lazy, rainy Sunday afternoon. Highly recommended.
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: January 04, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
I saw The Hobbit on New Year's with my family.  My youngest brother and I thought it was good but not nearly as good as the Lord of the Rings.  My middle brother thought it just outright sucked, making comparisons to the Star Wars prequels, mostly because it was not as good as Lord of the Rings.

The thing is that he lists off why he doesn't like it and I also don't like the same things he doesn't like.  Too much CG, too many cameos of LotR characters that drags the movie's pacing, and the general inferiority of The Hobbit source material compared to LotR's.  He'll point these out and say "Am I wrong about these things?  Can you defend them?" and I can't because I agree.  But I left the theatre wanting more and looking forward to the next film while he now thinks Peter Jackson is some Lucasesque hack that fluked out with a great trilogy.  Of course in his mind I'm wrong and delusional because he can't comprehend that I can see the exact same flaws as him yet not have them be significant enough to outright hate the film.

My youngest brother says that he enjoys the film as a visual representation of The Hobbit and that's all he wanted in the first place so he's quite content.  I agree with that and I found that The Hobbit was a much less accessible film.  My middle brother loved Lord of the Rings because it was big epic fantasy battle.  This film is more of a nerdgasm for Tolkien geeks so I liked it but he was bored.  If you just like LotR because you like to see Aragorn kicking orc ass, you won't like the Hobbit.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: January 04, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
the general inferiority of The Hobbit source material compared to LotR's.
I have to disagree here.  I personally think The Hobbit is a better package then LotR.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: January 04, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
for drinks here the way it works is you can buy a loyalty cup for $4 and then its only a dollar per refill. Regular drinks are $3.00. $3.50 you get a large drink with one free refill. Popcorn's largest is $6.50; its still a small container, and it has similar loyalty pricing structures.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:11:41 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: January 04, 2013, 06:30:33 PM »
But I left the theatre wanting more and looking forward to the next film while he now thinks Peter Jackson is some Lucasesque hack that fluked out with a great trilogy.

Overall I disliked the hobbit, but perhaps because I don't have a fondness for the source material I'm not very agitated about it (I'm far more disconcerted about the new technology that Jackson, with this film, has sought to herald).

While I think the comparison to Lucas is a lazy one, there is one respect in which it is accurate, which is that Jackson (like Lucas) has seemingly now reached the level at which no one is willing to call him on his s***. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was from an acting and aesthetic standpoint beautifully crafted, but it was also bloated and felt extraneous. I suspect it's the sort of film that would have been greatly improved had the director been forced to make difficult decisions and been placed under some actual limitations.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:32:19 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
It's called 20oz bottle in your pocket.

don't forget the $.99 candy from anywhere else in every other pocket, or if this one dwarf employee isn't there - just walk in with take-out from anywhere else because everyone else doesn't give a **** about their job.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: January 05, 2013, 12:19:42 AM »
Batman (1989)

wow last time I saw this movie I was probably 8 years old, and it was probably only the second time I had seen it. After watching the Dark Knight triology soooo many times, I couldn't help but feel that some parts were waaay too campy.

Overall it was good, but my favorite scene (the ending) just started to skimp so I'm more than a little disappointed, and I'll just rant for a bit:

What took Batman forever (pun intended) to do something about those damn blimps? somehow he gets to Gotham City super fast in the batmobile, which doesn't look as cool as I remember it (not that I prefer the tumblr thingy), but taking the batplane is such a long commute. Was it his first time piloting it? was he just joyriding before getting to the Joker? Then, after he disposes of the balloons, he decides to ascend above the clouds and then nosedive back down, as if he needed the extra speed because he finally decided to handle the Joker - yet, the Joker was on foot at that point. ****, even if Batman had went back immediately after expelling the balloons, Joker would've still been on a float. A FUCKING FLOAT! Where was he gonna go? Oh I get it, Bruce is smarter enough to know Joker wasn't gonna get far so he decided to have fun with his plane a bit more. Gotcha.

Alfred, while seeming like a sweet old man, I can't help but feel bad for him. He was in all of the Batman movies released (after 1989) before TDK trilogy, but because of how cheesy those last two were, he feels like a poor man's Q from the 007 series.

Imagine if Tim Burton directed the 3rd Batman film and brought back Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent.. how COOL would Two-face have been. The thought of it cracks me up :)

Final thought: there were some scenes that, as a kid didn't feel memorable, but from watching The Dark Knight (and probably remembering it terribly incorrectly right now) seem cooler because it looks like Nolan or Ledger paid a small tribute that only diehard fans would of probably noticed. I know I'm probably remembering TDK incorrectly and making it up in my head, but I still can't help but feel a tiny little nerdgasm at the thought of it.

edit: Yay! The dvd was dual sided, so I got to watch the ending on the tiny sized version! Just as great as I remember. Once Batman starts pummeling him, that's when Nicholson REALLY looks and feels like the Joker. Before then, he's just kind of odd, not psychotic. Not knocking his performance though, he's great.

Oh, and I almost forgot one point I wanted to make. Batman clearly kills people in this film. First he blows up "Axis" Chemicals by laying a bomb within feet of at least a dozen of Jokers henchmen that are shooting at his shielded car. Then while he' soaring towards the Joker, his monitor appears to be locking on to him while she shoots and fires missiles at Mr. J. Later, just before he finally faces off with him, there's the last black guy who appears in the film (the second one to appear in the film??) who is TOTALLY wearing his sun glasses at night (/iheartthe80s), anyway - Batman throws him down the bell tower. I won't count the Jokers death as that could've been unintentional though..

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:54:08 AM by EasyCure »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: January 05, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
in an alternate dimension the Billy D Williams two-face exists

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: January 05, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
in an alternate dimension the Billy D Williams two-face exists

That is comforting<3

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Now what did you think of Batman Returns? Dat Catwoman! (meow!)

Honestly, Tim Burton's films are much better than the crap we got from Joel Schumacher. Why Tim Burton decided to produce his 2 Batman movies is beyond me.

I have to give credit to Tommy Lee Jones for his terrific (yet eccentric) performance as Two-Face. He really delves deep into his characters, like any great actor does.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:03:59 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »

Are you talking about Movie Pass?  I got invited to that and considered it if I could use it to bring my whole family to a movie but... Their are no movie theater in the Nashville area that support it.

No, it's called Cineworld Unlimited. It's UK/Northern Ireland only. Only applies to the card holder.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
Now what did you think of Batman Returns? Dat Catwoman! (meow!)

Honestly, Tim Burton's films are much better than the crap we got from Joel Schumacher. Why Tim Burton decided to produce his 2 Batman movies is beyond me.

I have to give credit to Tommy Lee Jones for his terrific (yet eccentric) performance as Two-Face. He really delves deep into his characters, like any great actor does.

Actually that's up next on my netflix dvd queue since it's not available for streaming. I've seen Batman Returns a few more times than Batman so I'm sure my recollection of it is stronger than the first, and based on just that.. I'll go as far as to say its the better of the 2 Tim Burton feels. I feel it as a little less campy and much more brooding.. but we'll see if I still feel that way later this week.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3845 on: January 06, 2013, 12:18:30 PM »

Schumacher gets too much crap, they were not bad movies (Batman Forever was pretty good). Batman Returns is hard to watch now.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: January 06, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
I dunno man.. I was still a kid when I watched those and even then, some of those scenes were cringe worthy. and not just Batnipples

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: January 06, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
I don't know if it was even Schumacher's fault. All his batman movies are nothing like his regular movies. This is the director of Lost Boys, Falling Down, and 8mm. He has said he's taken responsibility, but was on a lot of pressure from the studio's to make them marketable. I feel like writing him a letter saying he needs to make some director's cuts. I liked Forever but Batman and Robin is terrible.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
I didn't know Schumacher was behind the films until only a few years ago, and like I said; when I saw them as a child, I thought they were pretty bad. I'm not looking to put blame on anyone, I just disliked the movie.

I'm still going to watch them after Batman Returns though :D and then end it on The Dark Knight Returns animated feature.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
I didn't know Schumacher was behind the films until only a few years ago, and like I said; when I saw them as a child, I thought they were pretty bad. I'm not looking to put blame on anyone, I just disliked the movie.

I'm still going to watch them after Batman Returns though :D and then end it on The Dark Knight Returns animated feature.

Tim Burton made Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (both starring Michael Keaton).

Joel Shumacher made Batman Forever (starring Val Kilmer) and Batman & Robin (starring George Clooney).

Christopher Nolan made the current Dark Knight trilogy (starring Christian Bale).

Which actor played the best Batman? Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, or Christian Bale? Adam West doesn't count.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931