Author Topic: GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade  (Read 14660 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE:GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 10:31:38 AM »
I think microsoft should be able to sell Goldeneye and other rare games(sans DonkeyKong titltes) on xbox live, but Nintendo has to get a 40% cut, and also Nintendo gets to also offer them on the Wii. Its kinda sad that a big portion of n64s biggest games don't look like they'll be coming because they're made by Rare. Also, games that are filled with Nintendo logos should have those Nintendo logos replaced by a fictional companies logos. A Nintendo logo shouldnt appear on an xbox game, and an MS logo shouldn't replace the Nintendo logo.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
Termin most of the N64 games that have come out on VC have had a resolution increase, Mario Kart and Lylat Wars in particular are noticeably sharper.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »

Originally posted by: TJ Spyke

Originally posted by: insanolord

Originally posted by: Termin8AnakinI don't think any of Rare's N64 will be released on VC or XBLA arcade anytime soon.

Actually Rare themselves on their own site indicated that there was nothing stopping Nintendo from putting more of their games on the VC and that Nintendo just hadn't inquired about it. I believe that discussion was regarding the Banjo Kazooie games in particular. Also, at least Donkey Kong 64 and possibly also Diddy Kong Racing will be able to come to the VC in the same way that the Donkey Kong Country games did, because of their use of the DK franchise. I think the most important question is whether we'll be able to get Battletoads.

Nintendo legally owns the Donkey Kong franchise, that's why the Donkey Kong Country games are no problem and they didn't need Microsoft's permission. Diddy Kong Racing is a different story since it contains 2 characters owned by Microsoft (Conker and Banjo), so they would either need to get MS's permission to include them or replace them.
which clearly explains DKRDS existence, don't you think?

this in turn, leads me to belive that, at this point in time, were GE to appear in any console, it would most likely be the DS...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »
Golden Eye with Wii controls would destroy the game.  Same with dual analog.  Golden Eye was one of the few FPS that actually FORCED you to stop moving to aim, and where you couldn't jump around like a baboon.  It forced you to pick your routes, angles, and strategies.

On top of that the auto-aim rules, variable hit zones, weapon strength, and consecutive hit lag directly tied to it's enjoyment (in Perfect Dark you die too fast).

I wrote a report for stats class when I was in school on this game, maybe I could dig it up.... I covered all sorts of stats on weapon power, dispersion area, hit zones, and auto-aim calculations.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
Golden Eye with Wii controls would destroy the game.  Same with dual analog.  Golden Eye was one of the few FPS that actually FORCED you to stop moving to aim, and where you couldn't jump around like a baboon.  It forced you to pick your routes, angles, and strategies.

On top of that the auto-aim rules, variable hit zones, weapon strength, and consecutive hit lag directly tied to it's enjoyment (in Perfect Dark you die too fast).

I wrote a report for stats class when I was in school on this game, maybe I could dig it up.... I covered all sorts of stats on weapon power, dispersion area, hit zones, and auto-aim calculations.

Yeah I remember Goldeneye for being quite strategic, definitely more so than games like Halo, and I think that is why the game has held up so well because it was something more than Run N Gun.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
Hmm, I think my report was a MS Works file.... so that's lost forever.  To bad I hadn't discovered LaTeX by then.

Did find some random data on the subject:

==> Spread   
Measured in units of D, where D is the diameter of the cross-hair   
   Spread
Throwing Knife   1
PP7   1.5
PP7 (Silenced)   1.5
DD44 Dostovei   2
KLOBB   6
KF7 Soviet   5
ZMG (9mm)   4
D5K Deutsche   3.25
US AR33 Assault   3
RC-P90   3
Automatic Shotgun   7.5
Sniper Rifle   1.5
Cougar Magnum   1.25
Golden Gun   2
MoonRaker Laser   1
Remote Mines   NA

I think the report said the method used to collect that.  Recalling from memory, it was something like standing is a set spot every time and firing at a 90deg plane to a fixed point on a nearby wall.  To reset for the next round I'd just shoot elsewhere until the bullet holes would disappear.

Edit: Some on the auto-aim.... now again without the report this is based off memory, but it tested several scenarios.  Std. Auto aim, Blind opponent (has no gun or your aiming across and invisible wall both of which disables auto-aim), Std. Auto-Aim while the shooter is crouched, Blind opponent while the shooter is crouched.  Both subjects were placed as consistently as possible (wedged against walls for example) and auto-aim or lack there of did the rest.

Auto Aim / Blind / Auto Aim (Crouched) / Blind (Crouched)   
Head Shot=   3   Head Shot=   12   Head Shot=   1   Head Shot=   0
Body Shot=   23   Body Shot=   17   Body Shot=   32   Body Shot=   0
Limb Shot=   24   Limb Shot=   21   Limb Shot=   17   Limb Shot=   50

So you'll actually get more random head shots without auto aim if you just stand (and just be shooting at legs if you crouch)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »

Look at this lil' nub. Doesn't know how to run and gun with the C-buttons.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

Oh I knew how, and leveraged it quite well when appropriate.  (ie: Circle strafing in open areas)

However, quick stops to aim and shoot for the head payed huge dividends with how the game worked.  That required a bit more thought, anticipation, and strategy.  Something you hot head gunners lack.  Speaking of which, when do I get to work you in Advance Wars again?  Got a feeling you'll be easy to roll over

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »
Uh oh! The gauntlet's been thrown!

*hides*

Advance Wars makes me curl up in a fetal position and cry.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 07:16:24 PM »
rcp90 = win
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »
[sagat]Heh heh. Pretty good kid. [/sagat]
Except there's no such thing as a quick stop-aim-shoot in a head to head firefight. You'd get rolled.

I wonder if any NWR staff remembers what happened in GoldenEye in the E3 hotel room years back.  My memory is a little foggy but I know there was a lot of 25-0, my favor.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 07:46:57 AM »
Are you kidding me, both parties allow it to be released on Virtual Console and XBLA, both get revinue, both parties win.....win, win, win...

I can't believe this crap could be so hard
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Klapaucius
(maybe NES, too? I'm not sure I've ever played a NES game made by Rare...)

Surely you have played one of these:

RC Pro-Am
Wizards & Warriors 1-3
Battletoads
Anticipation

I'm probably forgetting a few.  They were named Ultimate back in those days, but it was the same company.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
Holy crap, Wizards and Warriors was Rare?

You learn something new every day.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 10:03:28 AM »

I'm probably forgetting a few.  They were named Ultimate back in those days, but it was the same company.

Uh no, they were Rare back then. Ultimate was like way pre-NES days.

A few other games they did were Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Solar Jetman, Cobra Triangle, and Captain Skyhawk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 10:18:24 AM »
SOLAR JETMAN?!?!? THEY DID SOLAR JETMAN?!?!?!

....wow.... just.... wow.

Also: Snake Rattle 'n Roll. *sighs*

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
So basically, the "Halo" of the 64 and 32-bit era was coming to the console that is home to this decade's "Halo", Halo?

I remember back when the game was originally released. The hype was going through the roof as magazines and fans went nuts over it. I finally get the chance to play it and I while thought that  the game was good it wasn't THAT special. And before you say "Oh but the game's great in multiplayer" I did play multiplayer with friends and relatives and while we had fun the sessions were never that long.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »
I was more of a Perfect Dark man myself. I enver owned Goldeneye... but I do think that PD had a much floatiert feeling to it which Goldeneye lacked, and in that one aspect I actually felt that GE's way of doing things was superior.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
Goldeneye would look a lot better running on the Wii verses an N64 cause the resolution would be higher and there would be progressive scan.  With these two improvements I think it can be revived and you could have some more fun out of it.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

Oh I knew how, and leveraged it quite well when appropriate.  (ie: Circle strafing in open areas)

However, quick stops to aim and shoot for the head payed huge dividends with how the game worked.  That required a bit more thought, anticipation, and strategy.  Something you hot head gunners lack.  Speaking of which, when do I get to work you in Advance Wars again?  Got a feeling you'll be easy to roll over

hmph... i´d turn the auto aim off and get some nice head shots using just the C buttons in multi. the only time R aiming was good was when interupting two people that were circle strafing and didnt realize you were had just walked in the area
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »
Oh they were both good. Perfect Dark had all the options and Goldeneye made for some mean 4 player with license to kill with pistols or SMGs in that level with the offices.

The auto aim worked well enough, but if the target was moving sideways in anyway the auto aim would always trail behind by just a little bit also the auto aim doesn't work once the target gets too far. It starts having trouble holding it's aim.

I am not surprised that GE for live has been canceled. I am surprised it got this far.

Goldeneye may not seem special now, but it help make the case for console FPS. It also introduced a lot of technologies in to game development. MO-CAP, scripted AI, body part hit detection(PC most likely had this first), usable vehicles (shadow warrior might have this one), objective based gameplay. It also did something that few games like it achieve. As a licensed game is was good.  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Don't forget barrel-rolling enemies!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »
Perfect Dark was ahead of its time back then, offering dual-controller dual-analog DOUBLE-PENETRATING controls, LONG BEFORE Nintendo embarrassed the world with its split Remote/Nunchuck scheme.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I was more of a Perfect Dark man myself. I enver owned Goldeneye... but I do think that PD had a much floatiert feeling to it which Goldeneye lacked, and in that one aspect I actually felt that GE's way of doing things was superior.

I love both to death. I could fly around stages with the C-buttons in both cases. No game felt faster.

I like the guns in both as well; however nothing beats Golden Eye - pistols - license to kill - complex. However, if I was playing ANYTHING else, perfect dark had it made.

The bots made it hilarious too. Me and my friend would stack a bunch of perfect agents against us and have a ball.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 01:27:08 AM »
Diddy Kong Racing DS sucked major balls.
Taj with an English accent? F**K YOU, HE'S A CLICHE INDIAN. GET IT RIGHT.

You know what though, despite Activision allowing MS to release the port of Goldeneye on XBLA, I'd like to think that Nintendo blocked MS based on PRINCIPLE.

"Nintendo game on MS console? GTFO" says Iwata-san.

For MS to only pay Nintendo a one-off fee is blasphemous. There is only one way for this financial settlement to work:
Ninty gets 80% of the money from each purchase; 15% goes to a charity of their choice, and the remaining 5% to pay for Pierce Brosnan's JBA (James Bonds Anonymous) rehab sessions.

Either that, or ONLY release it on VC.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence