Author Topic: GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade  (Read 14661 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »
The N64 classic from Rare was being prepped for a Live Arcade release, but the project was halted.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15101

Gaming site 1up.com and sister magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly are reporting that a direct port of GoldenEye 007, the classic N64 first-person shooter, was a mere two months away from being ready for launch on Xbox Live Arcade.  As of right now, the game will never see the light of day, as Nintendo and Microsoft can't seem to come to an agreement financially.    

According to 1up, everything about the game was going to be just like the N64 version with the addition of online multiplayer over Xbox Live.  As 1up reports, "the point of contention, as our source puts it: would Nintendo receive a one-time fee for the rights to the game, or a continuing cut of the XBLA revenues?"    

This story is especially interesting for Wii owners, as many people have been hoping to see a GoldenEye 007 release on the Virtual Console.  It's hard to say whether or not Microsoft could prevent Nintendo from doing that in the same way Nintendo apparently kept the game off of Live Arcade.  Regardless, fans want the game, and it'd be nice if the parties involved could come to an agreement that would bring it to both platforms.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
They should release it on both platforms at the same time, and whichever version sells the fastest gets to keep it. The one that loses has to wear a dress.  

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:GoldenEye 007 Was Heading to Xbox Live Arcade
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Fat chance of this ever happening. legally anyways...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
They chickened out of facing a potential lawsuit is more like it
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:22:56 PM »
CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:39:00 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
I say who cares, sure Goldeneye was a classic back in the day but now there are better things.  I played it again recently and with its horrible movement controlls, its cheap dumb as hell enemies, and its annoying protecting mission its just not fun for me anymore.  The only reson I would see people buying it is purly for nestalgia and nothing else.  Plus, does the Xbox really need any more FPS's?
Wemen are like Artichokes, you have to work hard to get to there hearts.

http://duhduhduhduh.phantomhourglass.org/main.php?id=8534

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Viewtiful mario
I say who cares, sure Goldeneye was a classic back in the day but now there are better things.  I played it again recently and with its horrible movement controlls, its cheap dumb as hell enemies, and its annoying protecting mission its just not fun for me anymore.  The only reson I would see people buying it is purly for nestalgia and nothing else.  Plus, does the Xbox really need any more FPS's?

And with all that it is still a better designed game than Halo.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »
"Our source close to Rare said the conversion was a mere two months from completion..."

FWIW, from Rare's mouth, two months might just be two years

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »
CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:38:26 AM by Morari »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:55:33 PM »
Can they even legally emulate a N64 without Nintendo's license? Rare would have to do a complete port.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 06:57:50 PM »
/sad at Halo hate.

Also,

/sad at Goldeneye hate.

And,

/sad at lack of OVERFLOWING LOVE LOVE LOVE for Perfect Dark. (But not that "Zero" one, that was shameful)
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 07:03:21 PM »
Never cared much for Perfect Dark, the framerate made Goldeneye's look silky smooth. Anyway I would love to see a version GE that has online play added.  

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
Perfect Dark might've been a good game if it'd run at more than 0.2 FPS.
GOREGASM!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Perfect Dark might've been a good game if it'd run at more than 0.2 FPS.

Yeah, the low framerate really ruined it for me. Hopefully we see the game again with smoother visuals.

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 07:21:59 PM »
Saw this happening. Would love to have online multiplayer on Live, but I'm sure this hold Goldeneye fiasco will turn out that it'll never hit the consoles. Personally, I would love to see it released on Live and Wii and both can duke it out online and would be awesome if Goldeneye for Wii supports Wii controls as well. Alas, tis nothing more than a dream.
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:11 PM »

As 1up reports, "the point of contention, as our source puts it: would Nintendo receive a one-time fee for the rights to the game, or a continuing cut of the XBLA revenues?"

Gates: So Reggie, uh, we were hoping to release Goldeneye on Arcade and we know you have the publishing ri-
Reggie: Hundred Billion Dollars
Gates: Uh well, you know uh, that's a lot, I was thinking more a portion of Arcade sa-
Reggie: 100% of all revenue from Live Arcade
Gates: … uh look that's our only profitable Xbox division!
Reggie: I'll just take your name then
…: Hey! HEY! Give that back!  
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Ahahaha.. thanks for making me smile
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
Perfect Dark was so unbelievably great. Fix the frame rate, put in modern graphics and controls, and add online play (though you'd have to disable the Farsight in online, it can be fun with friends but it would screw everything up with strangers) and it would still be the best FPS out there. The TimeSplitters games have probably surpassed its multiplayer but don't have the single player. Counter-operative multiplayer was a great idea and something that should be standard in all FPSs.

Nintendo was able to remove slowdown in StarFox 64 with the emulation they use, in the extremely unlikely event that Perfect Dark could come to the VC they might be able to do the same with it. I'd gladly pay the $10 for it if they did. Actually, I love the game so much I'd gladly pay the $10 (and make room in my Wii's internal storage if need be) for the game in its original state.

On a side note, I find it funny that at the time Rare was bought by Microsoft the Nintendo faithful treated it as if it were the end of the world and now the only reason we have to be upset about it is the effect it has on the VC releases of their old games. Nintendo was either really smart in judging what Rare had in the pipeline or insanely lucky that it worked out this way.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Klapaucius

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »

Gates: So Reggie, uh, we were hoping to release Goldeneye on Arcade and we know you have the publishing ri-

bwahaha  

Rare was able to release Diddy Kong Racing DS, so I can't see anything stopping Goldeneye 007 being released on the VC. At least, I can't see why Microsoft would let one Rare game go to Nintendo and not another one.

Personally, I only had a problem with Perfect Dark's framerate during heavy multiplayer battles.
I've already clocked over 1000 hours on Perfect Dark's multiplayer. The idea of it online fills me with joy, indeed.

Nintendo was either really smart in judging what Rare had in the pipeline or insanely lucky that it worked out this way.

They were smart. Look at StarFox Adventures; a clear sign Rare were losing their touch. Their last few GBA games were also not too great. Nothing like their old stuff on SNES, Gameboy and N64 (maybe NES, too? I'm not sure I've ever played a NES game made by Rare...).

Retro Studios is the new Rare, in my opinion. I just hope they'll make something other than a Metroid game. That would be interesting to see/play.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
The scary truth is that Goldeneye most likely would have been more of a success on XBLA arcade than VC, purely for the reason that it was acually an updated port.
I've tried to play my old N64 games on my 42" plasma, and damn they look HORRIBLE. So while VC may have a better selection of games, XBLA users are getting better treatment with updated ports.

I don't think any of Rare's N64 will be released on VC or XBLA arcade anytime soon. The fact that it's an N64 game running on a non-Nintendo console is rather hard to bear...

HOWEVER.....

Now I dunno the legality of this, but remember in DK64 how it had the original DK and Jetpac games hidden away?
Rare would probably be able to do something like that...e.g. putting the old Jet Force Gemini of Banjo Kazooie/Tooie games as unlockables in their new incarnations on Xbox 360......
You never know...
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 01:35:44 AM »
Whoever put a stop to this is a horrible person

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 02:48:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8AnakinI don't think any of Rare's N64 will be released on VC or XBLA arcade anytime soon.

Actually Rare themselves on their own site indicated that there was nothing stopping Nintendo from putting more of their games on the VC and that Nintendo just hadn't inquired about it. I believe that discussion was regarding the Banjo Kazooie games in particular. Also, at least Donkey Kong 64 and possibly also Diddy Kong Racing will be able to come to the VC in the same way that the Donkey Kong Country games did, because of their use of the DK franchise. I think the most important question is whether we'll be able to get Battletoads.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 05:16:57 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:21:19 AM by Morari »

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 05:27:28 AM »
I hope this gets attention and they'll release it on both XBLA and the VC.  I don't if the VC is just a straight port, I love the game but don't have the space for many consoles.
Also, I want something to work out so there's at least a small chance for Blast Corps.
Life is good

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 10:21:02 AM »

Originally posted by: insanolord

Originally posted by: Termin8AnakinI don't think any of Rare's N64 will be released on VC or XBLA arcade anytime soon.

Actually Rare themselves on their own site indicated that there was nothing stopping Nintendo from putting more of their games on the VC and that Nintendo just hadn't inquired about it. I believe that discussion was regarding the Banjo Kazooie games in particular. Also, at least Donkey Kong 64 and possibly also Diddy Kong Racing will be able to come to the VC in the same way that the Donkey Kong Country games did, because of their use of the DK franchise. I think the most important question is whether we'll be able to get Battletoads.

Nintendo legally owns the Donkey Kong franchise, that's why the Donkey Kong Country games are no problem and they didn't need Microsoft's permission. Diddy Kong Racing is a different story since it contains 2 characters owned by Microsoft (Conker and Banjo), so they would either need to get MS's permission to include them or replace them.

I don't think Nintendo would need Microsoft's permission to upload GoldenEye 007 to the VC. Microsoft needs Nintendo's permission since Nintendo owns the publishing rights (Rare was just contracted to develop the game and owns no rights to it).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20