Author Topic: Virtual Console Mondays: August 13, 2007  (Read 19189 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Mondays: August 13, 2007
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »
No, reviewing old games is fine. You don't need to hold them up to modern graphical standards but just because they're old you shouldn't let them get away with outdated game design. After all we're paying for them in 2007 so we should review them in 2007 as well.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »
shazaaam.  money talks.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
I might have said "Recommended for Fans" (same as I gave to Milon's Secret Castle), but I can't fault Zach.  What he wrote about Metroid is totally correct.  It was an ingenious game that influenced countless others and spawned sequels that I consider to be some of the best games ever made.  But Metroid is a game you would play in a Gaming History class to learn about game design.  It's not very much fun on its own merits, unless you are extremely patient and forgiving.  Back in 1987, I was.  Not only am I twenty years older now, but the state of gaming has changed so much that it's hard to accept Metroid's many flaws, even if it is revolutionary.  I believe Metroid's ideas and ambition far outpaced the technology available to create it at the time.  Super Metroid was when the tech finally caught up with the vision.

Also, I want to second what Windy said.  These are recommendations only.  In the case of Metroid, you are much better off finding a copy of Zero Mission and playing that on your GBA or DS.  It's the same game but expanded and improved in every possible way.  And you'll still get the original, just so you can play it and be disappointed.  Alternately, you can put Metroid Prime into your Wii and play the original Metroid that way, just like I did yesterday when showing a friend what all the hoopla was about.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Mondays: August 13, 2007
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
I don't believe technology excuses many of the faults in Metroid. Zelda did most of what Metroid did, only better.

Zelda also had a non-linear overworld, but you had a MAP so you knew where the hell you were. You didn't need to grind for health because there were fairy springs. You could warp to certain points on the map once you got the flute. etc. etc.

Metroid was flawed mostly because these concepts weren't common at that time, not because they couldn't be done. Super Metroid's greatness has as much to do with Intelligent Systems gaining experience over the years as it did with improved hardware.

Basically, if the Snes existed back in 1987 Metroid would still be rubbish. Running around for the first 20 minutes of the game killing Zoomers to fill up your health would still be a chore. It just wouldn't look as bad.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 07:15:43 PM »
Alternately, you can put Metroid Prime into your Wii and play the original Metroid that way, just like I did yesterday when showing a friend what all the hoopla was about.

I thought that requires GBA-linking Fusion to it? Either way I don't think I've unlocked the original metroid in MP but I've also never beaten the final boss (why bother, he's just annoying and the game ends after that anyway).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2007, 05:03:02 AM »
"These are recommendations only. In the case of Metroid, you are much better off finding a copy of Zero Mission and playing that on your GBA or DS."

You're right.  That's a much better value.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
Also, I  just noticed Viewt's post. I am a huge fan of certain Metroid games. :-) For example, I love Metroid Prime but disliked Metroid Prime 2.* I love Super Metroid though I merely enjoy Metroid 2. I can't get enough of Zero Mission, but I feel that the structure of Fusion is a bit un-Metroid-esque. Still a great game, though (note to self: play Fusion again).

*I could go into this in greater detail, but it would take awhile.

Having said that, I'm wetting my pants just thinking about MP3.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackGriffen

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 11:48:32 PM »
I must say that I find the grinding and cheap shots in Ninja Gaiden more frustrating than the old Metroid. At least with Metroid I'll usually survive (the occasional inescapable pit notwithstanding) and refill my life. Yes, grinding for life is boring, but it develops a certain insane level of patience that comes in handy in life.

For those who are getting lost, GameFaqs has several maps, one of which consists of screen shots so you can see where you are.

Ah, those were the days - I still remember getting called when my sister was the first person to reach Mother Brain, though I was the first to actually beat it. One of my sisters even managed to work her way out of that bottomless pit in Brinstar without the wave beam once. I don't recall exactly how she did it, but it involved letting the blocks solidify around Samus somehow.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN IF YA CAN'T APPRECIATE IT!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2007, 03:09:13 AM »
Maps.  That reminds me of a long ago lunch period during which a school chum was drawing a map of Tourian for another school chum.  I hadn't played Metroid myself, but I saw the maps and the ominous one word warnings on parts of it, "Metroids!"  That really drove home how dangerous Metroids were supposed to be, and to this day they still freak me the heck out.