Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243636 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #475 on: April 14, 2008, 05:34:37 AM »
Well at least thinly veiled insults haven't gone out of style....

Last time I checked, Nintendo wasn't infallible despite how much diehards wish they were. They've made their share of bad judgement calls (don't get me started). Just because Nintendo doesn't think that something isn't bad design, doesn't mean it's still not bad design. Either way, it's a matter of opinion.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #476 on: April 14, 2008, 05:42:46 AM »
I've always been so far ahead in 1 player GP that I'm still first after a double blue shell attack.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:14 AM »
I think he was referring to the "just stay in second place and overtake near the goal" strategy. That's downright silly, it makes first place a deathtrap instead of something you want to take and hold. Of course you slow down in racing but you never concede a place to someone else (except for a pitstop and everyone takes those so it evens out), if you need to drive slower you still prevent him from passing.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 14, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »
It's funny the anti-blue shell people aren't also against red shells.  I mean they HOME IN ON TARGETS.  What happened to the people having to AIM green shells?  Why drain the skill out of the game?  I mean some asshole in 2nd place gets a red shell and wins at the last second?  Man, that makes first place not desirable.

WHY EVEN HAVE WEAPONS?!  I mean seriously, what a detriment to racing skill that people can use ITEMS to boost their performance.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 14, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
Mario Kart's just a rip-off of Wipeout and Snickers bars anyway.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:25 AM »
F-Zero rules. Wipeout sucks.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 14, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
F-Zero's just a rip-off of Halo and Agro's Cartoon Connection anyway.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #482 on: April 14, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »
LOL AGRO'S CARTOON CONNECTION! I always felt that ripped off Mario Kart myself.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:07:21 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #483 on: April 14, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »
omg it's a MEGA THREAD

you know what happens to MEGA THREADS, right everyone?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
It's funny the anti-blue shell people aren't also against red shells.  I mean they HOME IN ON TARGETS.  What happened to the people having to AIM green shells?  Why drain the skill out of the game?  I mean some asshole in 2nd place gets a red shell and wins at the last second?  Man, that makes first place not desirable.

The difference is Red Shells can actually be blocked though.  If you have a bannana peel or a turtle shell, you can shoot it right behind you to deflect an incoming Red Shell at the right moment. With Blue Shells, there's no way of avoiding them.

Even though I love Mario Kart and can't wait to play MKWii, I hate the Blue Shells because they just make the 150 CC races, much harder and cheaper then they should be.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 14, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
So because battle mode is point based does it mean that I won't get to cause havoc as the little yellow bomb? There is nothing more satisfying in all of Mario Kart.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #486 on: April 14, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »

The difference is Red Shells can actually be blocked though.  If you have a bannana peel or a turtle shell, you can shoot it right behind you to deflect an incoming Red Shell at the right moment. With Blue Shells, there's no way of avoiding them.

Even though I love Mario Kart and can't wait to play MKWii, I hate the Blue Shells because they just make the 150 CC races, much harder and cheaper then they should be.

Use a Star or drop out of first place or pass through a zone the blue shell can't follow.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 14, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »
I didn't mind blue shells in MK64, but I hate the whole "flying, exploding blue shell" thing. It just seems a lot more fair when it has to travel along the ground, hitting several players along the way.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #488 on: April 14, 2008, 08:37:21 PM »
F-Zero rules. Wipeout sucks.
I agree. Yay, Termin8 is back!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 14, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »
omg it's a MEGA THREAD

The game gets its own forum?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #490 on: April 14, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »
While I don't mind blue shells at all, I do agree that the dynamic was much better handled in Mario Kart 64 compared with the games that followed.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 14, 2008, 11:25:24 PM »
If you can't handle the blue shells you suck at Mario Kart, it's as simple as that. I actually raced all 32 tracks in Mario Kart DS over the weekend and won 29 of them, getting hit by blue shells a ton, and only one of the losses was due to a blue shell.

EDIT: Forgot to make sure it was clear it was 150cc.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 15, 2008, 02:01:26 AM »
Congratulations?

I've beaten every Mario Kart. I just happen to dislike the blue shells though more so in the later games. I didn't mind them in Mario Kart 64. I still don't see what the big deal is. You can dislike something about a game and still like the game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 15, 2008, 02:30:31 AM »
Disliking them is fine, I don't like them myself. Whining that they break the game when they don't is another. I wasn't trying to brag or anything, I was just pointing out that they can be overcome and they're nowhere near as bad as some make them out to be.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:12 AM »
Disliking them is fine, I don't like them myself. Whining that they break the game when they don't is another. I wasn't trying to brag or anything, I was just pointing out that they can be overcome and they're nowhere near as bad as some make them out to be.
I never said they break the game. Rather, I think the item itself is broken. Sure, you can work around it, but why should you have to when it shouldn't be broken in the first place? I'm not going to make excuses for the designers. It's a bad choice on their part in an overall strong game. I'll live.

Still, I understand that it's a matter of opinion. Some people like the blue shell. I'm fine with that. The blue shell is in MKW. I'm fine with that too. I have yet to play an absolute perfect game. Trust me, I'll live.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 15, 2008, 03:22:23 AM »
I never said they break the game. Rather, I think the item itself is broken. Sure, you can work around it, but why should you have to when it shouldn't be broken in the first place? I'm not going to make excuses for the designers. It's a bad choice on their part in an overall strong game. I'll live.

Still, I understand that it's a matter of opinion. Some people like the blue shell. I'm fine with that. The blue shell is in MKW. I'm fine with that too. I have yet to play an absolute perfect game. Trust me, I'll live.

I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned people saying they broke the game, that was about other people. I do think it would be a lot better if it behaved more like it did in MK64, they're too powerful. I know I'm really going to hate them online. When you're playing with friends you can laugh about it and have fun with them to an extent, but online it's going to be all about competition and it won't be as easy to get a big lead as it is against the CPU.

J.P. Corbran

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 15, 2008, 03:29:05 AM »

I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned people saying they broke the game, that was about other people. I do think it would be a lot better if it behaved more like it did in MK64, they're too powerful. I know I'm really going to hate them online. When you're playing with friends you can laugh about it and have fun with them to an extent, but online it's going to be all about competition and it won't be as easy to get a big lead as it is against the CPU.

Or you can be like me and don't mind getting your butt kicked every time (as I'm proving in Brawl).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2008, 03:31:59 AM »
omg it's a MEGA THREAD

The game gets its own forum?

Someone is supposed to flip-out and post thread-destructo pictures.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2008, 03:35:56 AM »

Or you can be like me and don't mind getting your butt kicked every time (as I'm proving in Brawl).
I'm okay with losing in Brawl, I'm used to that, but losing in Mario Kart will get me mad. Mario Kart is the one game where I'm actually pretty good at it and I'm going to see it as my only chance to win online on the Wii.

J.P. Corbran

Offline mudjah

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2008, 05:36:28 AM »
Silly question:

How does the online competition work? I says I should connect to wii24 and wait... wait for what? Nothing happens!

Has this feature maybe not yet started? Are we waiting for the americans?

Anyway, I think it is a solid MK game, online works like a charm, it looks good,me and girlfriend played it a lot this weekend... I give it a 8/10

I use the remote but without the wheel  ...good control I think after getting used to it.
3ds Code: 3566-1652-1241
Psn id: jbz-1973