Author Topic: Mega Man EXE Transmission Interview  (Read 2600 times)

Mega Man EXE Transmission Interview
« on: October 11, 2002, 10:57:38 AM »
Developer Keiji Inafune talks with Dengeki about the return of Mega Man to the
Nintendo console, and we've got the translation.

Dengeki GameCube recently interviewed Keiji Inafune regarding GameCube's upcoming  Rockman EXE Transmission (Mega Man EXE Transmission for overseas).

Inafune-san helped developed all of the Mega Man series.  His recent work includes the Onimusha series and Rockman EXE for the GBA.  PGC brings you the interview's translation below.

Dengeki: First of all, please tell us about the background for bringing  Rockman to the GameCube.

Inafune: Originally, Rockman was a title that began on Nintendo hardware (Famicom).  After various things, at one time the series was brought over to the PlayStation platform.  However, after the GBA got released, we realized if we were targeting children, the most suitable platform would probably be portable gaming.  With that in mind, we developed EXE.  Then we thought that kids that have GBAs are showing interest in the GameCube.  That  is when we realized it might be better to go back to Nintendo.  It started with Nintendo, and now we want the fun and enjoyment to be spread through Nintendo once more.  I felt that fighting with Rockman was most suitable under the Nintendo hardware, so I thought, let's do it.

Dengeki: The title is Rockman EXE Transmission.  But it's not a game derived from the GBA version of EXE, right?

Inafune: That is right.  The GBA version of EXE merged the interesting aspects of action and card games.  When we asked how we should transcend the action  elements of the current Rockman, we started by wondering whether we should use the perspective of EXE.  Returning to the original point, which includes returning to Nintendo, we rethought about what exactly is fun about Rockman.  Today, with the rise of hardware's power, games have started to  use 3D landscapes, but I think that does not come to my mind regarding Rockman, which demands precise jumping and action controls.  When we think about what is fun about Rockman, it is about trying to figure out if you can jump this height or this width, which used to be measured in those block units that couldn't be helped with the limitations of the Famicom.  Today, with hardware evolving, we stopped doing that even though it was fun.  I think that was the wrong choice.

As a result, we started at a point where we wanted to preserve the core of Rockman that had graphics matching the hardware.  We did not make the game for people that liked Rockman in the past, but we hope that even when those people play, they will remember the series and its fun gameplay.

Dengeki: Looking at the graphics, we have the impression of anime.

Inafune: Yes, the characters are cel-shaded.  Since the Rockman EXE anime is  currently on TV (in Japan), we created the game trying to make a connection with the  anime.  Rather than making Rockman very realistic, I thought the anime style would be much more enjoyable.  Regarding effects, we developed the game trying to insert eye-catching effects.

Dengeki: Do you want to build an online game?

Inafune: No.  Thinking about the business size, the current situation is a bit harsh.

Dengeki: Would you like to bring the Onimusha series on the GameCube?

Inafune: I think that the GameCube is for kids.  I do not want kids to play Onimusha. My opinions are split with Director Mikami (Resident Evil's creator).

Translation by Bakudan Yoshinoya.