Author Topic: Super Mario Maker  (Read 35476 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Maker
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
Easiest solution would be to ask the player "Are you a beginner or an experience player?" Beginner locks content behind a time wall and feeds you slowly as you get comfortable, the experienced option just unlocks everything from the get-go.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
2 Questions to keep the hype train going.

- Level designers: what kind of levels are you thinking about making?
- Level players: what kind of levels do you want to see from designers?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »
I'm hoping to make some puzzle platformer levels out of traditional Mario mechanics.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
My goal would be to try to make like a proper Mario game where earlier levels are easier and introduce the mechanics and then later levels are more ambitious and difficult.  SMB has 32 levels so that would be a good number to aim for.  Let's see if I have the chops to be a half-decent game designer.  Of course if I really suck at it and it's really time consuming I'll probably give up.

From other designers I would want to play creative levels that aren't ridiculous expert challenges.  That seems to be a priority for designers, to make insane levels that **** with the player.  There is a place for that type of game (like that infamous "Asshole Mario" SMW hack) but I fear that people will focus TOO much on that.  And there are going to be designers that try to make levels that feel like other sidescrollers like Metroid, Mega Man, Sonic, etc.  If done right those could be pretty cool.

I could also see the appeal in my brother and I making tricky levels solely for the purpose of fucking with each other.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
From other designers I would want to play creative levels that aren't ridiculous expert challenges.  That seems to be a priority for designers, to make insane levels that **** with the player.  There is a place for that type of game (like that infamous "Asshole Mario" SMW hack) but I fear that people will focus TOO much on that.  And there are going to be designers that try to make levels that feel like other sidescrollers like Metroid, Mega Man, Sonic, etc.  If done right those could be pretty cool.

This is why it's nice Nintendo has made it where the designers have to be able to beat their own levels before they can upload them.  That should help cut down on the average person trying to make the most difficult levels possible that are more frustrating then fun.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »

1. I won't be making too many levels. I'd be more interested if Nintendo retroactively added Yoshi, the leaf ,and the feather to the original Super Mario Bros. style.

2. I want some challenge. I like knowing I can just give up and move on if I think a stage is frustrating for the sake of frustration. I just like the infinite nature of this game so I'm mostly looking at volume more than anything else. There's definitely room for a sequel (e.g. no hills/slopes apparently, more backgrounds etc.), but I'm going to play the hell out of this game.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
What I expect from a sequel...

1) Blending powerup into any style game.
2) Hills
3) Character Selections Ala Super Mario Bros 2
4) Amiibo Support for added characters that will have special movies ala (Super Mario Crossover) for the levels.

However, I can't wait for Nintendo to turn this into a series and we can get Kirby Maker, Metroid Maker, Unfortunately Zelda maker would be too hard...UNLESS...it is Zelda Dungeon Maker, and the game is like 100 Marios but it is like 3 Dungeon Worlds or 5 Dungeon worlds...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
The layout looks like a grid so I'm guessing that's why they didn't go with hills.  I would want in a sequel for them to allow for full mix and match, include SMB2 (enemies from that game don't get squished when you jump on them and have to be thrown; it's doable), and for them to offer the Super Mario All-Stars graphics as well.  The All-Stars graphics would let you incorporate a consistent look while having elements from all the games.

Of course I also want them to somehow incorporate Donkey Kong Country and Wario Land and Yoshi's Island and, **** it, SUPER PRINCESS PEACH into it if they can.  They can go pretty far with this stuff.

Kirby Maker sounds doable though wouldn't attract nearly the level of interest.  Metroid isn't divided into levels so I figure it would be a lot harder to do.  If you made some big Metroid-like world how would you test playing through it?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
1. The same kind of levels that I made for the NSMBWii homebrew editor, which would be ones that focus more on fun activities than challenge. Though, part of that was to make them suitable for multi-player; since this game seems to lack that, I may alter things a bit. I also try to use elements in ways that Nintendo didn't, such as basing a level around wall-jumps, or the Propeller Block, etc.

2. Levels that follow a similar philosophy as above.

The layout looks like a grid so I'm guessing that's why they didn't go with hills.
Hills can work with grids, they just come in pre-set angles, like they are in the NSMB games for example.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 12:10:05 AM »
I want to play as Waluigi! :'(
Made you look ****.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
I want to play as Waluigi! :'(
Just wait for the Waluigi amiibo.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 07:34:48 PM »
Ten years later...
Made you look ****.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »

After the first few levels of just developing crazy ****, I would actually take it seriously and try to develop a Nintendo-class level, particularly a world 7 stage. Not too hard, but definitely memorable.

And I'd like to play those levels that 'you just push forward'. They're one-off levels, but they're more like a ride anyways.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2015, 04:39:49 AM »
Preordered the game off Amazon and got the price lowered to 49.99. If you have Prime and don't mind waiting a few days you can save a few bucks.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
Nintendo UK sits down to play levels made by Rare alumni studio Playtonic Games. Including an awesome lemmings inspired level.
https://youtu.be/Ct51yd4LNgw

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »
I remember reading a document about level design for Super Mario Galaxy 2, which they would try to introduce a game play mechanic in a very easy to learn environment.  Reward the player for learning how to play with the new mechanic, and then have the level challenge the players master of this mechanic.

I think I would want to try to make levels like that.   Introduce a new enemy or mechanic to the player, and then have the player learn what to do, and then have the player master it.  It would take awhile to think about your mechanics, but it could be simply, the Skull roller coaster thing, then move to skull coaster and enemies, and then skull coaster enemies and jumps...something like that would be fun.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
Did anyone here call Nintendo to receive the complimentary Mario Maker book with the digital purchase?  If so, have you received it yet?  I remember Jonny mentioning on RFN that the Nintendo support person said they were trying to mail them out early (before the game releases).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2015, 02:20:34 AM »
Damn the Playtonic video went private. The Super Meat Boy guys talked about working on Super Meat boy in that way on that indy game documentary. Actually..I wanna see levels built by famous game developers in general. How would Cliffy B make levels?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Huh they must have deleted it, maybe it contained something that was under embargo at the time. Lucky for us you can still watch it on twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk/v/14237264
Also in related Nintendo UK news tomorrow they will put up a Q and A with Miyamoto about "Mario Myths", and on Friday 5pm British Summer Time they will stream Mario Maker with Charles Martinet.

As for developer courses there is a video with Igarashi of Castlevania fame https://youtu.be/-HqY6MaeUmw
And another with Michel Ancel known for his work on  Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil https://youtu.be/Q5MaKinEawc
Lastly one with Tezuka and Miyamoto playing Michael Ancel's level live at a Paris game seminar with an unshakeable feeling of E3 2003 deja vu. https://youtu.be/2TVSu9zF0e4

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this title.

The hype is definitely there but I don't see myself being able to put in a significant amount of time, as much as I'd want to. I'd love to make both insane levels that look impossible, as well as something that Miyamoto would be proud of, but I get the feeling I'll end up playing more levels than making them.

It happened with Sm4ash's custom stage options. I thought being able to draw figures would make things easier but I tried it once and haven't touched the option since. I guess we'll see what happens. I do look forward to at lease playing some NWR member's levels though.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
It happened with Sm4ash's custom stage options. I thought being able to draw figures would make things easier but I tried it once and haven't touched the option since. I guess we'll see what happens. I do look forward to at lease playing some NWR member's levels though.

Smash 4's level creator is extremely limited though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »

Yet I still couldn't put the time into create levels, and it was something I hyped myself up for before the game released. Mario Maker looks much more intuitive first, but I feel like I'll get to day 3's tool set and not create much after that. The fact that I can play any one else's levels is more than enough reason to pick this game up, I just don't know how much if anything I'll be able to contribute.

We'll see though. Maybe I'll try it and get hooked.

Smash 4's level creator is extremely limited though.

EDIT: So I just happened to watch This video for a DK themed level. This is the sort of stuff I'd want to create! Seeing how well it works brings a smile to my face the way only Nintendo games can. Despite my earlier post, the hype for this game continues!

Also, for whoever brought up the custom sounds earlier in the thread (I think I read that here..) according to the video I linked above, the custom sounds are only available locally and won't be heard online.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:12:34 PM by EasyCure »
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
Yeah, the custom sounds thing sucks, but it's not a deal breaker. I mostly want to use it to troll my friends who come over

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
and I just read that the 9 day lock for tool sets has received a day 1 patch to remove it. Hooray?

Still unsure if I should pick the game up today or wait a while.. somebody, knock some sense into me!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
Buy it. Go to Target, Walmart or Best Buy if you have Amazon Prime and show them that it's $49.88 when you go to check out online.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA