Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186209 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4725 on: August 14, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
I have yet to watch the latest episode.
I need to do that asap.

I'm gonna miss this show, but I really hope they managed to stick the ending, since the story has gotten a bit wild post Ghost Rider, with all the time travel and space stuff.

edit: just finished the series.
It didn't hit the notes I was expecting with the farewell. As in it wasn't quite as touching of a way to say goodbye as say when they said by to Bobbi & Lance(?). But I did enjoy it. I'll probably watch again as I had to pause once or twice for work reasons....

But hopefully it leaves enough of an opening that some of these characters may pop up in the MCU Proper.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:29:58 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 18, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
Is the entire series on D+ now? Was planning to pick it up again after it all dropped. Last time I watched was with the digital world/Ada arc.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: August 18, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Not yet, and apparently there was an additional 20 minutes of didn't that directly referred to the "snap" that will probably be attached once the series drops on D+

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 21, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »
I just finished S1 of The Witcher....

honestly i was a little confused till I realized that it was jumping around between present and past depending on who they were focusing on. They didn't make that apparent till about Ep6, unless I just missed something.

I'm not very familiar with the videogame, even though I do think I might own it on Steam.
Overall it was pretty interesting, as I burned through it in the last 48hrs (8x1hr+ episodes), and I'm glad this is getting a 2nd season, otherwise, that ending would've sucked big time, as they literally just kinda didn't get to the conclusion of everything that was going on. More like an intermission point before what I would've guessed might've been the last 2 episodes.

warning, lots of nudity, some sex scenes, graphic violence and blood/gore.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: August 27, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »
Recently finished "The English Game" on Netflix. I hadn't paid much attention to it or its trailers so I was very pleasantly surprised with how the story unfolded (about the rise of paid working class players - "professionalism" - in football (soccer) and how that threatened the established high class teams of moneyed gentlemen from upper crust schools), and especially with how it's morality wasn't straight down the center good vs evil. It's sorta more about the rise of popularity and money in the sport, as well as the evolution of new playing strategies and labor issues of the era.

Anyways, watched it with my folks and I didn't know at all until a couple episodes in that Julian Fellowes had been involved. Wow! I tend to be suspicious of Julian Fellowes because I fee like almost all the Downton Abbey seasons post season 1 were flawed in many respects and didn't live up to their promise. However, between Belgravia and The English Game I've thoroughly enjoyed two projects relating to him now! Maybe he works best in punchy limited series that actually END as opposed to the long must-milk-the-franchise-for-all-its-worth slog that Downton Abbey became.

It's always a joy to watch something and play that "I don't want to use IMDB game" when you recognize actors. With this series I immediately knew one of the main characters was from Vikings (The first episode was fun because I then couldn't figure out if he was English or Scandinavian by decent... or both?), and it took me a couple episodes to realize that the actress playing his wife had had a part lasting a couple episodes in Game of Thrones before Sansa and Reek threw her over a wall(?). There's this last actor though that tickled my brain but I just never identified and... *checks IMDB* OMG he was Ian in the British production of Shameless! Man, can't believe I didn't figure that out!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: August 27, 2020, 06:27:11 PM »

honestly i was a little confused till I realized that it was jumping around between present and past depending on who they were focusing on. They didn't make that apparent till about Ep6, unless I just missed something.

I'm not very familiar with the videogame, even though I do think I might own it on Steam.
Overall it was pretty interesting, as I burned through it in the last 48hrs (8x1hr+ episodes), and I'm glad this is getting a 2nd season, otherwise, that ending would've sucked big time, as they literally just kinda didn't get to the conclusion of everything that was going on. More like an intermission point before what I would've guessed might've been the last 2 episodes.

I'm not familiar with the games or books either. Did it bother you he time jumping? I figured it out fairly quickly and I guess upon first watching it it was a neat gimmick, but honestly I don't get the urge to rewatch that first season. Maybe that's because the trick isn't fun the second time through, or maybe because it's like what you said, all this is prologue to the actual action.

Boy if Netflix cancels this series after 2 seasons like they have been doing for so many of their series lately...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: August 27, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »
It wasn't so much that it bothered me, but I knew something was off with the time line kinda early on (ep3?) as certain things didn't quite make sense., but they didn't make it obvious and spell out that they were jumping back and forth till late in the season.

But, yeah, they really ended the first season right before the climax finale.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: August 28, 2020, 01:55:46 AM »
Lovecraft Country

The first episode was pretty good.

The second episode they tried to cram too much stuff in. The second episode was kind of like a bad movie made by Full Moon.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: August 28, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »

I'm not familiar with the games or books either. Did it bother you he time jumping? I figured it out fairly quickly and I guess upon first watching it it was a neat gimmick, but honestly I don't get the urge to rewatch that first season. Maybe that's because the trick isn't fun the second time through, or maybe because it's like what you said, all this is prologue to the actual action.

Boy if Netflix cancels this series after 2 seasons like they have been doing for so many of their series lately...

I think it will at least get three. Netflix has stated before that three is the magic number for their "return on value/diminishing returns" and that is why so many shows end by three seasons. There are exceptions, and considering this was Netflix's attempt to capture the medieval fantasy Game of Thrones crowd I can see it being one of the few to get more than three. The big question will be the production costs. They wouldn't want to keep up massive expenses unless there was a massive audience draw or cultural presence (like with Stranger Things).

My wife and I put together the time changes and enjoyed that aspect of the viewing experience. We both plan to rewatch (she already started on her own) so it does seem rewatchable.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: September 01, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
Been watching a lot of stuff lately, including various anime (but that's a conversation for a different thread):

Samurai Jack - Never got around to watching this show when it was new, but it's on BluRay now so I thought I'd try it since it's so revered. Unfortunately, while I really respect what this series does to go against the grain of then-traditional western animation, I can't ultimately say that I care much for it.

I think in a post-Avatar: TLA world, this show is a hard sell. There are no set rules. There are no set characters. There is no attempt whatsoever to establish a set world so the viewer can understand the various stakes & how anything anyone does actually matters. Most episodes have very little, if any story, outside of "Jack wanders into an area, and he gets attacked. Now here's the fight." Considering how the show ends, perhaps it's fitting that the show never attempts to make you feel like anything matters.

If I'm feeling particularly generous, I'd say you could cut out the entire 2nd & 4th seasons & most of the 1st, and you'd lose nothing. Seasons 3 & 5 were unusually good, mostly because they made an effort at actual storytelling and the art style toned down a bit on the color saturation. The animation itself is consistently great and occasionally still mesmerizing (Jack vs. the Shinobi, Jack & the Haunted House). I just wish it was put to better use than just fight scenes.

Eureka - I've seen the show previously, but hadn't watched it in the better part of a decade and it just hit BluRay so I thought I'd rewatch it. Overall, I'd say the show holds up, but its reliance on formula makes it a very hard sit at times. The show is noticeably running out of ideas by the 3rd season, which is probably why the show had a soft reboot in Season 4 to bring it into continuity with Warehouse 13. The BluRay transfer also isn't that great, particularly in scenes with low lighting. I watched the show up to the end of Season 3 to switch over to...

Warehouse 13 - Still in the 1st season of my rewatch of this, but I gotta say this season holds up way better than I remembered it. I remembered the 1st season being pretty rough & bland, but in rewatching it I'd say the show stuck the landing pretty firmly early on. It helps, of course, that Claudia (hallowed be her name) gets introduced very early into the season to inject some much needed energy & quirkiness to the series. There's a concerted effort into building up the series' lore early on that I've always appreciated.

One amusing thing about Warehouse 13's 1st season is that I don't think the show's writers were confident in whether they were going to go down Eureka's pseudo-science route or a purely magical route in regards to how the artifacts work...so they try valiantly to try to come up with scientific explanations for how blatantly magical devices work. It's rather adorable considering later seasons will just throw their hands up in the air and go " **** it, it's magic."

I'd also like to note that Universal's official BluRays for Warehouse 13 (so far) are pretty stunning from a picture standpoint. This is noticeable upgrade from Eureka's transfer. More than that, though, Warehouse 13 just looks like it had much stronger production values than Eureka did. Eureka's shot like a sitcom, whereas Warehouse 13 is shot like a drama. This leads to much more interesting cinematography and WAY better lighting, even in night shots.

Where Eureka has Warehouse 13 firmly beat is in the special effects. Warehouse 13's CG always looked especially cheesy (like a PS3 launch cutscene), and HD doesn't do it any favors. There are also some Season 1 artifacts, most noticeably the Electrical Spine artifact, that rank among the least-convincing in the show's history.

Overall, the show is just pure comfort food, and I still enjoy it as much now as I did back when it first aired, which is rare, really.  I'll be going back to Eureka once Warehouse 13 does its first crossover episodes with Eureka in Season 2.

I've also really missed the original Warehouse 13 intro, you know...back when TV shows still did those. Universal, unfortunately, is currently blocking un-garbled versions of the intro...because...but here's a version of it.

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3HO68Iy4E

The song itself:

BMM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboZV8yi9gE
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:29:55 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4735 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:29 PM »
Speaking of Avatar: The Last Air Bender, I recently completed a re-watch of the show. I made a twitter thread about the experience.  I really can't understate how good of a show this was.  Book One is criticized for being a bit "monster of the week" but they do a considerable amount of world building in those early episodes, and more than a few characters and themes come back by Book Three. 

I really liked the character arcs for some of the main cast, especially Prince Zuko.  Even Sokka matures gradually throughout.  The only person who doesn't change much is Uncle Iroh, but he didn't have to.

Anyway, I remember being frustrated with how the episodes aired as a kid.  I never felt like I knew when the new ones came on and never caught re-runs.  So, binge watching them (over time) on Netflix was great for me.  I saw a couple that I don't think I had actually seen, and I had only ever seen the ending once.

10/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: October 30, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »
Euphoria on HBO Max

Zenedaya killed it in this one. I know she won an award for this show, and now I know why. She really truly brought her character to life. I felt what she felt, and understood it as she understood it, as if we were recalling a shared experience.
If you don't know what this show is, it's about a troubled teen going through addiction problems and mental issues just trying to deal with her fucked up highschool life. But it's not just about her, it's about the other people at her school, other people in town and how everyone is in a way connected.

I don't want to really dive into the specifics, but just know this show is worth the watch.
It's not a kid friendly drama as there is drugs, nudity, sex, language, and other adult situations going on. But I picked this show up earlier this week, and finished all 8 episodes of the only season so far, just now. Highly recommended.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4737 on: November 07, 2020, 02:14:03 AM »
Election Night 2020

Didn't seem like the writers knew how to end it, so they just kinda didn't?

-/10 until they actually air a finale.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: November 07, 2020, 03:44:55 AM »
Election Night 2020

Well, I got he behind the scene scoop on this one.... They had a finale planned, but requested and got granted a last second episode order extension, since it was apparent the series was about to get cancelled.
Soooo, there were lots of last second rewrites to accommodate for the last second extended episode order to stretch out the drama before coming to the inevitable conclusion of a mini-series extended long beyond it's original premise. They wanted to stretch out the ratings and make sure the series had a huge build up leading to a satisfying ending.

Honestly, this show has just been crazy from the get go. Way to unrealistic, and no way any of this would happen in real life. I know ya'll gonna say "it's just a TV show", but damn, I feel like they were trying to base this in reality, and I really think they missed the mark. It just seemed like they were making **** up as they went and didn't much thought into a believable storyline for a majority if the series, and especially these last second extended episodes so far.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:48:48 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4739 on: November 07, 2020, 10:35:35 PM »
Election Night 2020

Well, I got he behind the scene scoop on this one.... They had a finale planned, but requested and got granted a last second episode order extension, since it was apparent the series was about to get cancelled.
Soooo, there were lots of last second rewrites to accommodate for the last second extended episode order to stretch out the drama before coming to the inevitable conclusion of a mini-series extended long beyond it's original premise. They wanted to stretch out the ratings and make sure the series had a huge build up leading to a satisfying ending.

Honestly, this show has just been crazy from the get go. Way to unrealistic, and no way any of this would happen in real life. I know ya'll gonna say "it's just a TV show", but damn, I feel like they were trying to base this in reality, and I really think they missed the mark. It just seemed like they were making **** up as they went and didn't much thought into a believable storyline for a majority if the series, and especially these last second extended episodes so far.

So, the finale got dropped completely out of no where this am.  Had no idea until it got spoiled on Twitter.

You're right in that they missed the mark trying to ground whatever this was in some form of reality.  There were times where not only were the writers grasping at straws, but so were the characters themselves! It felt like everyone just talked on and on, in circles, trying to stall for time.

I guess the ending was ok.  It seemed they they tried to go for a best-of-five or best-of-seven type thing, but maybe abandoned it?  Also, I don't think anything ever happened with the Alaska subplot, but they made it seem like it didn't matter, so whatever.

5/10

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: November 08, 2020, 02:25:37 AM »
You're stealing my jokes. Though, I was waiting for January 20th. We may have the checks written, but we have to wait for them to clear.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: November 08, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »
Shows not over yet.... Election Night 2020 was just a "special mini-series". but I hear there's a post credit scene we might want to stick around for once we get to the actual series finale.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: November 12, 2020, 11:38:18 PM »
Moonbase 8

John C. Reilly, Fred Armisen, and Tim Heidecker play wannabe astronauts working in a NASA prototype for a moon colony in the Arizona desert. As you'd expect from that cast it's fairly silly, but I enjoyed the pilot and I'm going to keep watching.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4743 on: November 17, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »
Shows not over yet.... Election Night 2020 was just a "special mini-series". but I hear there's a post credit scene we might want to stick around for once we get to the actual series finale.

I wish they'd just end it already.  The main guy has been going on a prologue series of fights and is 1-25.  Just embarrassing.  The conflict isn't even believable at that point.

Then you have crap like this:

Like, jeeze, spike the ball much?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: November 18, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
The Boys S2 - Someone said somewhere that whenever the boys gets directly into confrontation with any supes, or Starlight against any of the other supes, they have just four options, always using at least one:

1 - Run (which they use as much as possible)
2- Another supe turns up and interferes
3 - Kimiko supports enough to achieve something else
4 - Blackmail

4 was used extensively through the season, once directly with Butcher and Noir, and Starlight used it repeatedly through the season. 3 was used when Kimiko's side stories tied back to the main plot. 2 was used almost every single time including the battle in the final episode.

Deep's story was a single isolated storythread that only connects back to the main story twice, and the second time it was purely for A-Train to get the info on Stormfront - then plot-wise abandoned him again. You could have cut him out entirely, or just made him recurring, and have A-Train run into him in the church and achieve the same result.

I am aware a bit of what happens in the books,
but since someone said that i said unsee that now and its kinda spoiled the season.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: November 18, 2020, 04:19:13 PM »
Deep's story was a single isolated storythread that only connects back to the main story twice, and the second time it was purely for A-Train to get the info on Stormfront - then plot-wise abandoned him again. You could have cut him out entirely, or just made him recurring, and have A-Train run into him in the church and achieve the same result.
Yeah, that was my main issue with Season 2. The Deep accomplishes very little in relation to how much screen time he gets. His main contribution is talking to fish in order to recover the camera with the video Queen Maeve used to blackmail Homelander. In fact, I would go as far as saying The Deep hasn't served much purpose since the first episode as the catalyst for Starlight's disillusionment with The Seven. If I'm being generous, the writers used The Deep to introduce Definitely-Not-The-Church-of-Scientology The Church of the Collective. They spent a lot of time with that sub-plot without much payoff so far. Yes, that character (Definitely-Not-AOC) is the one blowing people's heads off. Did we need Definitely-Not-The-Church-of-Scientology to accomplish that? I'm not entirely convinced.

The Deep is ostracized from both The Seven and the main plot thread. They've positioned him as a shitty person who ultimately gets his comeuppance. That could have been a wrap for him. However, if he's going to be around, the writers should find a way to bring him back into the fold except they don't get there (yet?). In Season 2, The Deep apparently doesn't learn any valuable lessons or make a meaningful progression as far as character arc (not sure that's a spoiler since that's my opinion). He's still shitty at the end of the season. Sure, so is Homelander, but he's one of the main antagonists. The Deep is just there. I don't know if the plan is for him to do something extra important later, but right now, it feels like the writers are stalling. Reminds me of Alucard in Season 3 of Castlevania. He has a season long arc that moves his plot and character very little, and what did move, could have been accomplished in far less time.

Stormfront getting her **** kicked in by Queen Maeve, Starlight, and Kimiko was earned and awesome, and I was there for it. About that scene:
  • It didn't quite make up for how little Queen Maeve was in Season 2. "Hey Kraut!" was satisfying.
  • Frenchie yelling "[Chekov's Gun] is in the car; it's our only chance!" bothered me more than I imagine it bothered most people.
  • I fell for Kimiko's "death". Disappoint.
  • I kept expecting Starlight, given her power set, to absorb Stormfront's purple lightning. It felt foreshadowed the entire season then just didn't happen. I looked it up. Apparently, Stormfront shoots plasma which is not electricity so... 🤷â€â™€ï¸
  • Hughie, Frenchie, and Mother's Milk should be hella-dead. Stormfront just decides to casually toss them aside instead of murder-death-killing them immediately.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:21:57 PM by Adrock »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »

• Hughie, Frenchie, and Mother's Milk should be hella-dead. Stormfront just decides to casually toss them aside instead of murder-death-killing them immediately.

Plot Armour is more powerful than anything the other supes have.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
    « Reply #4747 on: November 26, 2020, 02:53:12 PM »
    So my daughter got me into Anime again....

we did a deeeeeep dive into Naruto/Shippuden/Boruto/Rock Lee spinoff
    we finished 150+ episodes into One Piece, and just found more on Hulu
    I think there was another series or two

but currently watching:
    - Full Metal Anarchist: Brotherhood (few episodes left)
    - Death Note (she really got into this one.... only a few episodes to go)

just did a solo dive on
    - Attack on Titan (again) now that I found it in English (making sure it's not too much for her) - seems violent, but nothing too much for her. Might just have her skip it and watch the kids version, but that's subtitled.

and she wants to watch the following which I just found in English on Hulu:
    - My Hero Academia
    - One Punch Man (I watched the first season on Netflix w/ the English Subs)

and eventually I will have her watch DragonBall/Z/Super/whatever

any other good Anime's you all recommend that my daughter and I would like?
    I'm sure the above selection will last a long time, but we can apparently watch several different series at a time, so shouldn't be an issue to rotate a few different shows.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:09:06 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
    • NWR Junior Ranger
    • Score: 38
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4748 on: November 26, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
    Oh no! Anime World Report has gotten to BnM now too! It's more infectious than Covid! Where's ShyGuy to fight the good fight against anime?
    Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
    • Score: -9967
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4749 on: January 11, 2021, 02:14:51 AM »
    I feel like I have a perfectly good anime thread you could use for that instead of feeding the megathread again but whatever.

My biggest anime recommendation is "The Great Pretender" but that's difficult to recommend to a younger audience.

RWBY is anime adjacent and is a really fun watch despite it's issues but it gets incredibly dark around the third season finale when everything pretty much goes to ****. It's not as dark as The Great Pretender but it's still pretty dark. It's a show with the kind of scope and ambition that something like Avatar: The Last Airbender had and while it doesn't have the same consistent quality that Avatar did it's still a really fun series. It's especially impressive considering it's a web video series.
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:24:22 AM by pokepal148 »