Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Games Beaten, Completed, or Played in 2022

<< < (2/3) > >>

broodwars:

--- Quote from: M.K.Ultra on January 10, 2023, 04:36:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: broodwars on January 04, 2023, 07:43:46 PM ---Games I beat in 2022:
PlayStation:
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Games I played but did not complete:
PlayStation:
- Rive
- Pac-Man World Re-Pac

--- End quote ---

I am curious about these games. I am on the fence with Kena. Would you recommend it to others?
For Rive, I really enjoyed, enough so to go back and do some post-game challenges. What was it that made you fall off that one?  Sort of the same question for Pac-Man. I have it for Switch, so I will be giving it a try eventually, just wondering why you did not complete it.

--- End quote ---

I didn't enjoy Kena. It's a game that's heavily focused on exploration and collecting, and yet the only things you CAN collect are the occasional health upgrade; endless chests full of hats for your minions; and in-game currency to buy said hats. The hats are purely cosmetic, so it feels like the game is just wasting your time. Besides that, it's a game that bases its entire identity around being a relaxing, chill game for all ages...with combat as taxing and punishing as a Souls game. It's a game of 2 completely different identities that don't work together at all.

As for Rive, it's a game I started playing as filler between larger games, and I just didn't have the time I expected to have for it. Kinda the same for Pac-Man, though in its case I feel like the game just controls...oddly. For instance, jumping and doing the Yoshi-style mid-air flutter DURING a jump are 2 different buttons...because. It's a game I really expected to be in the mood for that ended up being a lot less casual and more technical in its execution than I expected. I'll get around to playing more of both games eventually, just not now.

Ian Sane:
I beat:

DS:
Trace Memory
Professor Layton and the, uh, whatever the second game is

I got my Switch early in the year so those DS games are fuzzy memories.  I certainly beat them and I got them for a Christmas of some sort and I think it was 2021 so I would have beat them in 2022.  Trace Memory is so short I could very well have received it for Christmas and beat before New Year.  I beat it in two sessions.

Switch:
Dragon Quest XI - this was my first Switch game and I put in 150 hours into it.  This is the first DQ game I actually completed.  There is some post-game stuff I could do but I got the ending credits and then the post-game ending credits so not quite 100% but I'm done.  This is a must play for RPG fans and the nice thing is that it has an incredibly generous demo that lasts about 10 hours and your save carries over.  So if it even remotely sounds interesting to you you might as well try it out and if you're make it to the end of the demo and are still wanting more then get the full game.  One of the first things I did when I got a Switch was look into what the best demos were and that led me to it.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - Got the physical release of the trilogy but so far have only completed the first game.  I've got a fair sized backlog of Switch RPGs I haven't played yet and I find that visual novels work well in between because they're not as long so I'm not going from giant RPG to giant RPG.  I've wanted to try this series for a while but it seemed to stick to Sony handhelds.  So far I like it and will hit up the second game once I've cleared what I'm currently playing which is...

Pokemon Scarlett and Shin Megami Tensei V.  My intention was to beat SMTV in time for Pokemon but it's a long game and a hard one so that didn't happen.  I'm trying to stick to one game at a time but Pokemon jumped the queue, partially because my brother got Violet and we wanted to trade with each other.  In Pokemon I've completed the three main quests and am on the part after that.  Once I'm done with Pokemon (which probably won't be catching 'em all, I'm not interested enough in the franchise for that) I'll go finish SMT which I think is in the final area.  It's my first SMT aside from Tokyo Mirage Sessions and I'm thinking I probably should have started with the Persona series.  But then I find I dread playing SMT after being away from it due to it's difficulty but enjoy it a lot once I start playing it again.

Now I have some other Switch games I play casually when I don't have hours to invest at a time:
Picross S1
Mr. Driller Drill Land
Namco Musem/Pac-Man combo
Capcom Fighting Collection
Pinball FX3 - this one has eaten up tons of time.  Back in the spring I got Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection for the PS2 for a few bucks and really liked it.  But Gottlieb's pinball tables are not that great and the ones I remember liking as a kid tended to be from Williams or Bally (which I then discovered was the same company during the 90s).  Well Pinball FX3 has digital recreations of real Williams' tables.  So I've been getting the various DLC packs for it when they go on sale and I actually just completed the entire Williams collection (not interested in the other tables in the game, which are new creations from the developer).  A cool side effect of this is that it's inspired me to look into pinball history and it's very similar to videogames and that's given me the same feeling as when I look into an old system or a genre that I'm not that familiar with.  My favourite table in the game is Medieval Madness which has a reputation of being one of the best pinball machines every and that reputation is justified.  Now I have to resist the urge to get a real table, which is apparently a maintenance nightmare, but the temptation remains!

Other stuff I've been into is the usual random retro games I find at stores and expos.  I finally got around to getting an Atari 2600 this year and landed some good bundles of games and have like 30 or so games for it, which I've played but not beaten because you can't really beat those types of games.

I've got a big backlog for 2023 as Deku Deals has kind of became a disease for me when physical releases I'm interested in get price drops.  And then Zelda is going to jump the queue like Pokemon did.  This is a dumb problem to complain about.

Luigi Dude:
Alright, finally got time to look back on what I played.

Games beaten in 2022

3DS

Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation

Switch

Gato Roboto
Oniken
Turok
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Timespinner
Gunbird
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Journey to Silius
Shadow of the Ninja
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Doom Eternal
Panzer Paladin
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country
Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1
Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2
Steel Assault
Demons of Asteborg
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Back From The Sewers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue
Blasphemous
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
Mechstermination Force
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles: Shredders Revenge
Super Earth Defense Force
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors
Wallachia: Reign of Dracula

Games played but not beaten

3DS

Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Switch

Danmaku Unlimited 3
Super Bomberman R
Samurai Aces III: Sengoku Cannon
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Xenoblade 3 is on the not finished list since I started the game in mid November and am still playing it.  I've currently at about 120 hours in the game so it's pretty much been taking up my time the last 2 months.

M.K.Ultra:
It looks like Luigi Dude and broodwars both played all the TMNT games. I am going to start that collection soon, but will just be playing one game every once in a while I wanted to start with Turtles in Time, but and deciding between the SNES version and arcade version. I am guessing the arcade version looks nicer, but the SNES version is better balanced for completing without needing unlimited lives/credits. What are your thoughts on the better at home experience?

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: M.K.Ultra on January 15, 2023, 01:54:51 PM ---It looks like Luigi Dude and broodwars both played all the TMNT games. I am going to start that collection soon, but will just be playing one game every once in a while I wanted to start with Turtles in Time, but and deciding between the SNES version and arcade version. I am guessing the arcade version looks nicer, but the SNES version is better balanced for completing without needing unlimited lives/credits. What are your thoughts on the better at home experience?

--- End quote ---

The SNES version is better.  It's got an extra level, and is much better balanced game.  For one, the SNES version lets you actually do the move where the Turles grab an enemy and smash them left and right, which is great for handling situations when you're being swarmed by enemies.  In the Arcade version that move just randomly happens.  The SNES version also lets you double tap to run in the options menu, while in the Arcade version you have to move for a while before you start to auto run.  The double tap to run is a much better option for trying to get away from bosses attacks and larger groups of enemies.  It also adds some new boss fights that are better then what's in the Arcade version as well.  You'll need to beat Hard mode to get the ending, but you can set the game to let you have up to 7 lives and 5 continues so even Hard mode is still very beatable.

The Arcade game is cheap, even by Arcade standards.  The better you're playing, the more enemies will keep spawning on screen until it reaches a point where you'll be overwhelmed.  If the Arcade version let you do that enemy slam move at will this would make it more doable, but since that move just randomly happens in the Arcade, it pretty much means you have to rely more on luck then skill.  This is why the games pretty notorious for being almost impossible to 1CC, even among the very hardcore.

Of course since you can just keep spamming credits to win, the Arcade game will take less then an hour your first time through so it'll still be worth playing just too see the differences between it and the SNES version.  The sprites and animations are better so it's worth a playthrough to see what a pretty version of Turtles in Time looks like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version