Community Forums > Movies & TV

Khushrenada's Annual Oscar Thread. 2021 Edition.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Order.RSS:
Completely missed the Oscars happened. Feeling a bit culturally ignorant as I've seen zero of the nominees, and mostly spent the pandemic watching netflix trash. Of the ones you saw, are there any you'd recommend seeking out?

Interesting they combined the Sound Editing and Sound Mixing categories. Was that done for brevity's sake, or because they're difficult to separate? Dumb there still isn't a prize for stunt performances.

Looking at your predictions, seems like you got everything right except Best Actor, Actress, Song, Adapted Screenplay, and Short Documentary? Is that your new record?

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: ThePerm on April 27, 2021, 03:13:50 AM ---So... you completely nailed it?

--- End quote ---

Not quite.

--- Quote from: Discord.RSS on April 28, 2021, 12:16:05 PM ---Looking at your predictions, seems like you got everything right except Best Actor, Actress, Song, Adapted Screenplay, and Short Documentary? Is that your new record?

--- End quote ---

Almost. I also got Cinematography wrong. Let's review:

Best Picture: Nomadland
Director: ChloƩ Zhao
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Chadwick Boseman It was Hopkins.
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Carey Mulligan It was Frances McDormand
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Daniel Kaluuya
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Yuh-Jung Youn
Best International Feature: Another Round
Cinematography: Nomadland It went to Mank
Original Song: Husavik It went to Fight For You (Judas and the Black Messiah)
Original Score: Soul
Makeup and Hairstyling: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Animated Feature: Soul
Costume Design: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Best Documentary Feature: My Octopus Teacher
Film Editing - Sound of Metal
Production Design: Mank
Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman
Adapted Screenplay: Nomadland It went to The Father
Visual Effects: Tenet
Best Sound: Sound of Metal
Animated Short: If Anything Happens I Love You
Live Action Short: Two Distant Strangers
Documentary Short: A Concerto is a Conversation It went to Colette

That makes a total of 17/23 correct.

Khushrenada:
How does 2021 compare to past years?

2014: 20/24 (Still my best here)
2015: 14/24 (My worst show in years)
2016: 16/24 (Average)
2017: 16/24 (Average)
2018: 16/24 (Average)
2019: 15/25 (Below Average)
2020: 19/24 (Better)
2021: 17/23 (Average)

So, still not my best work. There's even one less category now but it didn't do much to help me get back to last year's total average. I consider anything of 75% as well done and below 60% as poor. Really trying to crack the 90% - 100% club though. It was another average year in that I was doing so good for so long during the show and then once again it all fell apart at the end. After the first 16 awards, I was sitting at 14/16 correct. The only two missed at that point were Best Adapted Screenplay in which I knew there was chatter of The Father getting it but played the math odds as mentioned about Nomadland getting it and Best Documentary Short which did go to the Holocaust movie so shame on me for thinking the Oscars would finally buck that trend. With 7 awards left, I was hoping I could still hit that 20 mark or tie last year. Then Cinematography was announced and turned out the Cinematography Guild pick was correct. Then Film Editing and Original Score came up and I was correct there so now it's 16/19. Like Homer Simpson chasing his BBQ pig, I'm saying "it's still good, it's still good" to myself with 4 awards left. Then Best Song went to an unexpected winner ruining the possibility of hitting 20. However, Best Picture was strangely next and I finally got it right this year. Then Best Actress and Best Actor were presented to ruin everything and put me under 50% for those last seven categories.  ;) 

Khushrenada:
How'd I do against some of the experts?

Awards Watch gets a 16/23.

IndieWire got an 18/23.

Gold Derby, which posts odds and picks based on combined predictions from other sources, got 17/23.

Roger Ebert, although not Ebert himself but a different reviewer who posts there, got 16/23.

Variety, with picks by Clayton Davis who I'm always hoping to beat, got 18/23.

The other person I'm always hoping to beat is my brother whom I've been competing against for the longest also got 18/23 this year so it was a disappointing loss after beating him last year.

Both my brother and Clayton Davis picked Frances McDormand for Best Actress which gave them the win in the end with me as we were all tied at 17 up to that point. Makes me wish I had taken a risk on Hopkins after seriously considering him when I was doing this write-up. I actually had Hopkins as my pick and was going to talk about how there always seems to be one acting award upset each year of late but decided Best Actress was already the unpredictable surprise this year.

I wondered if the Academy would view Boseman's performance as worthy of a posthumous award. I'd never really heard much buzz about it besides being his last role when it started showing up in nominations for awards. Only two posthumous acting awards have gone out in the 93 years so far and they are for Peter Finch in Network and Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight and both those roles were memorable roles in those films. Ultimately, the Academy is still a large contingent of the group that got hammered when the OscarsSoWhite discussion started happening so I had some doubts whether they'd give it to Boseman but even the producers of the Oscars thought it was happening with them having the Best Actor award for the end.

While it would have just tied me up in the end, at least a tie isn't an outright loss like this was but hopefully some lessons learned to turn it around again next year. And that's about all I've got to say on this year's broadcast.

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: Discord.RSS on April 28, 2021, 12:16:05 PM ---Interesting they combined the Sound Editing and Sound Mixing categories. Was that done for brevity's sake, or because they're difficult to separate? Dumb there still isn't a prize for stunt performances.

--- End quote ---

A bit of both. It was always a source of confusion for many people about the difference of them and the Academy has been trying to find ways to edit down the broadcast and awards presented to better be able to end on time. A couple years back they had proposed handing out a few of these awards during commercial breaks (yet still adding another award in Best Popular Picture) that fizzled out in negative reception from its members.

As for Stunts, it's a touchy subject as stunt work always has been in movie history. Yes, stunts are big business and definitely an evolving part of film making along with people dedicated to their craft. Yet having an award for it may push some of these people to risk their lives even more then they already may do or bend safety measures to pull something off to now win an award. Watching Jackie Chan's work in the 80s is full of impressive stunts yet the outtakes show the toll it takes and some of the real risk of death that's being done in those stunts. That was just done for the sake of wowing an audience and trying to top what they'd already done and shown in previous movies. What might happen if now there was an award for what they were doing? I just don't think it will happen. Pretty much the only way stunt people may be honored is at the end of a long career with a lifetime achievement Oscar if the Academy does want to find a way to give some credit to the stunt profession.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version