Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 348090 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Pikachu is looking as cute as usual, if no more-so...

And I honestly can't see how anyone can complain about these updates...We are getting new screenshots EVERY WEEKDAY...Asking for more than the generous amount we are already getting is pretty pathetic...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
people are complaining about the updates!?!?

I'd actually prefer less info because its much better to get it all in one single trailer, so I think I'll avoid the thread for a while.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
And I honestly can't see how anyone can complain about these updates...We are getting new screenshots EVERY WEEKDAY...Asking for more than the generous amount we are already getting is pretty pathetic...

Not complaining, just saying there is not much to get excited about with today's update compared to some previous ones, like with Groudon.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
I wasn't expecting much from the updates, but I don't think the announcement of "We're announcing that we're going to announce stuff!!!" was worth a 7 day countdown.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
The screenshots are small and suckage.

Wii obviously outputs DS resolutions.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TEM

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The site's updates are a Godsend. Before the site became active I was having a quasi-mental breakdown from complete lack of information about this game. Despite the fact that it's mostly a bunch of BS we already know, it's still comforting that every 3 or 4 days I'll find out some information that's actually news and gives my imagination something to chew on.  
"Big, terrifying spiders are proof that God doesn't exist." - Anonymous

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
I just had a great idea for a stage.  It's a medium-sized planet from Super Mario Galaxy.  Players would be able to run around all sides of the planet (on a 2D plane, of course) and the only way to die would be to get thrown off one of the sides (that is, there's no pit on the bottom to fall into).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: vudu
I just had a great idea for a stage.  It's a medium-sized planet from Super Mario Galaxy.  Players would be able to run around all sides of the planet (on a 2D plane, of course) and the only way to die would be to get thrown off one of the sides (that is, there's no pit on the bottom to fall into).

That would make for some long fights.   Also a little confusing if someone was an the top and another on the bottom.  Still fun though.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
I like that idea though.  Conceivably, to die, you would have to be hit hard enough to escape the planet's gravity, kinda like being kicked up on a regular stage. (since everything would be pulled toward the center, rather than straight down).  

The most fun thing I could think about with a stage like that would be the potential to put a player into orbit (EX falco hits fox, fox flies around the planet and kicks falco from opposite direction).  Does bring up the question of how you would control the players upside down.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Shecky

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Zach
I like that idea though.  Conceivably, to die, you would have to be hit hard enough to escape the planet's gravity, kinda like being kicked up on a regular stage. (since everything would be pulled toward the center, rather than straight down).  

The most fun thing I could think about with a stage like that would be the potential to put a player into orbit (EX falco hits fox, fox flies around the planet and kicks falco from opposite direction).  Does bring up the question of how you would control the players upside down.

Which is why it would probably work like the Metroid stage in SSBM (the one with Kraig).  Instead of lava you have a sun that you orbit (while the moon/planet rotates on it's own axis) and the sun shoots out some solar flairs every now and then.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Well, I think it would probably be one or two planets, three at the most, and you get pulled into the gravitational field of each one.  Or the planets could constantly change, and one could be a lava planet, a planet that hurts you for standing on it or something.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I love the idea of one planet that can be walked around, and you must either throw them or Smash them away.  It is fun, and completely different.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
I'm just saying you can still make it a very interesting and different level and not have the whole upside down problem....

Three rotating planets/moons, all spinning (at different rates and directions)

The entire cluster orbit each other and the whole thing orbits a sun, which you fall towards if your off normal ground.  To further add to this, give the planets floating ledges that rotate with the planet (such that you stand on the top of them when they're above the planet and the "bottom" of them when they are below the planet)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
Controling with funky gravity is no problem.  Just push the stick in the direction you want to move...  Pressing in a direction perpendicular to the planet's surface for jumping/ducking, parallel to run.  E.g., if you're on the right side of the planet, press left to duck, right to jump, down to move clockwise, and up to move counterclockwise.  You'd just move the stick in a circle as your ran in a circle around the planet.
GOREGASM!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I really like the Mario Galaxy level idea so good job, vudu. I don't think having several planets or fighting upside down would pose too much confusion. I wouldn't want it to work like the Brinstar Depths level in Melee (which I hated) though. I'd like gravity to play a huge role.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Finally an update that's informative in some way.

Every controller is compatible somehow. Awesome. No specifics, but still nice to know.

I'll probably stick with the Gamecube controller though I plan on buying a classic controller at some point for VC games so I'll try that too.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
All four options? Man that's awesome... probably give both of the Wii options a try, but I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself sticking with the Wavebird when all is said and done.

Unless certain modes force certain play styles... which I kind of hope not as I don't want to have to juggle around controllers for "adventure" mode or something.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
BEST. UPDATE. EVER.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
I know im going to want to go with the classic controller all the way! What a great update! This is good for everyone! so many options! No one better ever complain about this! Well at least  until we realize that the wii-mote control stinks. But even still we have the all classic ways to play.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
What the hell? I don't get this at all.. I had a feeling the Cube, Classic and Nunchuck+Remote options would all be included.

But I seriously don't understand how only the remote can be used. With that option there are only two real accessible buttons (1 and 2). I guess you could use the B trigger, but still.. you need at least four easily accessible buttons at the minimum (attack, special, jump, shield). Maybe if you make UP the jump and B the shield. Hmm..

Here is his comment on that..

Hmm? How do you do smashes and dashes with just the Wii Remote?
If I get the chance to tell you, I will.
So I guess this means that the battle system will be completely overhauled and motion controls will be added when you only use the remote. Or, as Arbok said, you might only be able to play certain modes with the remote only.

But then this brings up huge balancing issues. Do they allow some people to play with only the remote and others to use the Cube controller at the same time? If so, even if they spent all the time in the world balancing, wouldn't one setup still have an inherent advantage over the other? Everyone wouldn't be on an even playing field to begin with. And with online, this is an even bigger problem.

Wow, I'm so confused..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Caterkiller
I know im going to want to go with the classic controller all the way!

You're crazy. Classic controller controls are going to be ass due to the awkward position of the analog stick.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
Way to totally overanalyze there, IceCold.  Tilting the remote could be used as a modifier for attacks similar to tilting the control stick at various speeds.  Or flicking could be used for stuff.

Huge balance issues?  As long as everyone can do all the moves, any vague advantages any control schemes have seem to me like splitting hairs or largely down to personal preference.

Anyway, this is good news.  It essentially comes down to "if you have a Wii, you can play Brawl."  The new motion controls could even widen the game's audience even further, if they're intuitive.
GOREGASM!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
I bet if one of the control options sucks and is at a disadvantage...no one will use it!

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
Huge balance issue is solved.
GOREGASM!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
B is accessible in classic style play.  Add in a few motion based moves (probably for smashes) and you'd have the bases covered.  You could even taunt with + or -.