Author Topic: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.  (Read 44831 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE:Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2007, 03:06:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Saying a game is easier than New Super Mario Bros. doesn't say much at all.

Wait... NSMB was pretty darn easy (but tons of fun!)... I think you're a wee bit mixed up here...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2007, 08:34:12 AM »
I see it as two lines of games:
Paper Mario on the consoles
Mario and Luigi on the handhelds
both lines are decedents of Super Mario RPG

After playing SPM for about an hour and a half, I stand by wanting more games like this.  It's very creative.
Life is good

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »

Uncle Bob wrote:
Wait... NSMB was pretty darn easy (but tons of fun!)... I think you're a wee bit mixed up here...

I meant:  Saying a game is harder than New Super Mario Bros. doesn't say much at all.

A thousand apologies.

And I don't consider the Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi as sequels to Super Mario RPG or to each other. They're all kind of separate series.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »
Damn this game to hell for not giving the flipping ability to Bowser.

Bowser's dialogue is absolutely hilarious. I would gladly play as him all the time if I could but it requires frequent shifting to Mario to go into 3D.

Dammit...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2007, 06:37:30 AM »
Just had the game lock up on me yesterday. Weird...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2007, 07:25:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Just had the game lock up on me yesterday. Weird...

That's because the 4D engine doesn't work well on the Wii. Only the PS3 has the power to handle it! Sony said so themselves.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »
Damn Nintendo and their underpowered hardware...

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2007, 08:08:46 AM »
It locked up on you because Peach is too hot a babe for you! =D
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22:42 AM »
Well I finished the game last night (Took me about 16 hrs), and what a ride. The game is definately something special, even with some of its flaws.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »
I hope Nintendo starts including extra difficulty levels in their games.  I didn't grind at all, and  beat the last  boss in four hits, though I did complete the 299 trials the game offers before you finish.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
I think that may be considered a branch off of grinding... =3
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »
I agree to an extent, but the challenge is made available, and I tried to avoid killing as many enemies as possible most of the time.  Anyways, I still wish they had more difficulty settings.  That is probably what I felt was missing from the game.  I never had any trouble with bosses, even though they had difficult boss patterns, the bosses didn't do nearly enough damage, nor could they take enough.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »
Did anyone else notice that Bowser + Carrie = God mode? Seriously, Bowser's only real limiting factors are his sluggishness and the fact that he can only breathe fire on the ground, but when you use Carrie, he becomes much faster and he can then breathe fire while jumping and just becomes an unstoppable force of destruction. The second time I fought Mimi looked like it might be difficult, but I have no idea because as soon as the chance presented itself, I leapt in the air and baked the bitch and her projectiles before she even had a chance to attack.

Also, for those who don't know, Bowser's dialogue is, by far, some of the best I've seen in a videogame, ever. Tippi says, "Looks like they went into that pipe." and Bowser replies, "What am I, blind? Shut UP." Too perfect...

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2007, 11:43:38 AM »
Double post.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »

Did anyone else notice that Bowser + Carrie = God mode?

Yeah, I realized that in the very last chapter of the game...But I wanted to spend my first playthrough playing as much with solely Mario as the game would let me...I'm looking forward to seeing the extra dialogue next time through... =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2007, 12:03:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Yeah, I realized that in the very last chapter of the game...But I wanted to spend my first playthrough playing as much with solely Mario as the game would let me...I'm looking forward to seeing the extra dialogue next time through... =D

That's the way I'd recommend doing it.

I just wish they gave Bowser/Peach the flip ability so you wouldn't need to constantly switch characters AND pixls.

Also, I think they should have mapped a button for pixl switching, like the B-button, maybe hold down B then tap up or down on the D-pad to cycle through them.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2007, 12:27:13 PM »

Did anyone else notice that Bowser + Carrie = God mode? Seriously, Bowser's only real limiting factors are his sluggishness and the fact that he can only breathe fire on the ground, but when you use Carrie, he becomes much faster and he can then breathe fire while jumping and just becomes an unstoppable force of destruction. The second time I fought Mimi looked like it might be difficult, but I have no idea because as soon as the chance presented itself, I leapt in the air and baked the bitch and her projectiles before she even had a chance to attack.

Also, for those who don't know, Bowser's dialogue is, by far, some of the best I've seen in a videogame, ever. Tippi says, "Looks like they went into that pipe." and Bowser replies, "What am I, blind? Shut UP." Too perfect...

If this is true, then SPM may feature the best interpretation of Bowser yet! Probably even better than Mario RPG!

Yeah, many have claim that this is perhaps the best localization of a Nintendo game yet.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
They needed a bonus Pixl that you could map two Pixl functions to, using the controller's 'b' button.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2007, 04:06:37 AM »
I just started When Geeks Attack and it is Hi-Technicaaaaaal!  Wish I had more time to play...so far, I'm liking this game a ridiculous amount...probably even more than Twighlight Princess.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2007, 04:34:25 AM »
I love this game so much.

Another Pixl that can equate to god mode is Flip.  You can stun any enemy and have enough time to kill them.  I hadn't tried the Bowser Trick though.  

I personally love this game...and although it is easy, there is tons of stuff to collect and technique to learn.  The pit of 100 trials is also difficult.  Or it can be without enough health.  

Couchmonkey:  I think I liked this game more the Twilight Princess as well.  It just brings a happy smile on your face while you play it.  

I am over 20 hours in the game...and I am curious to see much more game I actually have.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »
This game is just amazing.. I am also enjoying it moreso than Zelda. But then again, I'm a Mario platformer whore.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2007, 05:40:54 AM »
My copy of SPM just arrived today!!!!!!!!!
Now I know what tonight is gonna be made of.

edit: I played for a good hour and a half and I love it!!
Weird thing though: my Wii performed a quick system update when I inserted the game. It wasn't loading (i.e. the game channel didn't display the name of the game) then when I clicked on it, it said "performing quick system update" (or something like that) then shut down.
After all that, my Wii recognized the game and I was able to play it. Very very odd. (and I have the 2.2U firmware version)
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »
Everyone give evil eyes to Artimus for starting a new topic in January when a perfectly fine one already existed.

Everyone give evil eyes to the mods for not catching it, resulting in this debacle.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »
This game would have been much better if it had actually been a platformer which actual platforming obstacles.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2007, 07:58:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
This game would have been much better if it had actually been a platformer which actual platforming obstacles.

Then it wouldn't be Paper Mario would it?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144