Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition - Episode 43  (Read 4420 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PODCAST: Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition - Episode 43
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
An exhausted Jonny tells it like it is.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=17369

Apologies for the delay.    

Episode 43: Take Two    

Download (MP3)
  Use the RSS  Feed (MP3)
  Subscribe through the iTunes Store    

Did you like the third game?  Let your fellow listeners know in TalkBack! Think you've got a better choice? Send it my way and your request may be the third game next Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition!  Heck, throw in a question and specific songs if you want.  Just remember, it has to be a game found on a Nintendo system in North America (unless we say otherwise)!    

Credits:  This podcast was edited by Michael Cole.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can find them in the http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=151649921&s=143441">iTunes Store. You can also purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or call your music local record store and ask for it!    

All game music used during Radio Trivia is copyright their respective owners.  

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: PODCAST: Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition - Episode 43
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 07:33:35 AM »
Apologies from me too.

Was a really bad time for the recording software to crash for the first time ever.....
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:15:20 PM »
woohooo!!!  Thanks TYP! I'll listen ASAP
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
Just listened to this while running software tests this morning.  This episode really had some great game music.  I had no idea that the score from game 5 was that epic-sounding; it certainly didn't fit my preconception of the game!  This actually interests me even more in trying the game if I can still find it; I've had it on my Amazon wish list for a while.

Game 2 will also hold a special place of awesomeness in my heart.

I actually remember renting and playing game 3 a few times.  I got far enough to see the scenes in question, but it was ambiguous enough that a naive kid like me ( I was pretty young at the time) didn't get what was going on at first.  In reality, what they showed was really no worse than the subtext that could be read into the healing houses in The Adventure of Link, though it's doubtful that Nintendo intended that in the game.  But, who knows? 

Other than that, I remember the game actually being pretty fun, but difficult.  Some of the elements look dated, but some levels of the game were probably a little ahead of their time, such as the maze sections.  I looked the game up on wikipedia, and I also noticed that many of the different acts also were titled after famous films/works of literature.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:39:42 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »
Yeah, after all the technical and scheduling headaches, it turned out pretty well! Thanks for the positive feedback!
Nintendo World Report

Offline Serialcode

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »
Spoiler Warning

Star Fox is one of the darker and more engaging soundtracks of first party SNES games. A lot of the negativity expressed by TYP is a bit unwarranted, especially his comparison to Star Fox 64. Being presented on the next generation of Nintendo consoles, it would seem to make lots and lots of sense that the quality would higher.

But even if TYP meant compositionally and not technically better, I would argue that Hirasawa's soundtrack lacks the fluff and the near constant motif repetition that almost all of Kondo's soundtracks have, including (and especially) Star Fox 64.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:24:42 PM by Serialcode »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »
Interesting starfox wii speculation

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
I <3 this podcast
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »
SPOILER - I have no idea how to do spoiler text.  I thought by changing the text to white, it would blend in.  But the background is grey on the forum page, so no dice.  Sorry guys. 

I'm playing along right now.  Just heard the first song and I have no idea what it is.  The composition style sounds like Motoi Sakuraba though.  The samples used and certain nuances lead me to believe it's certainly Sakuraba.  But I have no idea what game it could be.

Edit - Aha!  I didn't know the game, but I knew it was him!

Edit 2 - lolz!  That instantly recognizable waltz from the Warp level!  Game 2 = Done!  I wonder whatever happened to Hajime Hirasawa...  :-\

Edit 3 - Third game.  Clearly NES.  And I'm beyond lost... good first song though.

Edit 4 - second some is pretty good too.  I still have no idea what game this is...

Edit 5 - What special item do you find in Greece!?  Is it Rygar?

Edit 6 - OMG... awesome!  I don't know why I didn't get this.  It sounded familiar, but I just couldn't nail it for some reason.  I played this game and beat it with the Game Genie!  It was pretty dope.  The latter half of the game was nothing but mazes.  And I'll never forget the very last level when you're in the woods and it seems like you're at a dead end.  But you have to press "up" between these particular two trees in order to progress in the level

Also, you CONSTANTLY lost energy in this game!  Every second, you lost a hit point.

Edit 7 - Game 4 has me lost.

Edit 8 - Game 5... I know I've played this game by listening to the first song.  Just need another song and I'll place it for sure.  But damn, how many times are you gonna loop song 1!?  lol!  This is the third loop already... get to song 2!

Edit 9 - WHY AM I NOT GETTING THIS!!!!  I know it but I cannot place it, but I remember all this and the previous song!  I'm humming along... but I just can't place it...  AHHHH!!!  You were fighting someone/something during this song...  I hear a hint of the main theme just before it loops, but I can't place it!!

Edit 10 - OMFG!  Z-DUB!  The third song, didn't do anything for me.  I could NOT place it!  Now I know where that second song came from... the fight with the giant ICE DRAGON!  Where you have to adjust the mirrors!  Damn, that was fun!  I love being stumped like this.  I *NEVER* forget a melody, I just forget where they come from sometimes!  And this is exactly what happened here!

Edit 11 - Spoiler-proofed everything that should be.

Great job, guys!  Can't wait for the next one!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:04:48 AM by Kenology »
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »
Spoiler WarningBut even if TYP meant compositionally and not technically better, I would argue that Hirasawa's soundtrack lacks the fluff and the near constant motif repetition that almost all of Kondo's soundtracks have, including (and especially) Star Fox 64.

I agree. Starfox on SNES had an AMAZING soundtrack.  I was more impressed with it than I was with Starfox 64's soundtrack from a technical standpoint.  SF64 used a very rudimentary sound library.  A lot better had been done with the N64 musically (just listen to JFG or Turok 2 - both of which had more realistic sounding synth). 

As far as compositions, both are equally remarkable.  Hajime Hirasawa did reprise the main theme many times in the original Starfox, just as much as Kondo did in Starfox 64, but in Starfox, Hirasawa had it woven into the in-level compositions very, very nicely.  This didn't happen with Starfox 64 because Kondo was only responsible for the main theme, title theme, and fanfares.  All of the fanfares and end-of-level compositions were arrangements of the main theme and title theme - as was the ending theme.  You never heard the main theme or title theme referenced during the in-level music because all of that was composed by Hajime Wakai.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:15:19 AM by Kenology »
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »
To be honest, I gained a greater appreciation for Star Fox's soundtrack while picking songs for the background during discussion. Even so, I prefer Star Fox 64's soundtrack--including non-theme songs--though it may simply be because I've played Star Fox 64 far more than the original.

Also, Keneology: you can do spoilers by putting "spoiler" in square brackets:
[ spoiler ]hidden text[/ spoiler ]

(Only don't put spaces before or after the brackets)
Nintendo World Report

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
What a great show. I couldn't even get one guess right.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:28:43 AM »
Agreed on the mario golf music. they're pretty good but way too hyper
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.