Author Topic: Square considering Final Fantasy ports  (Read 6999 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Square considering Final Fantasy ports
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:46:05 PM »
Gamespot

Apparently, FF1&2 for the GBA in Japan has a postcard in it from SquareEnix, asking them what game they'd like to see Square make on the Nintendo DS.

Final Fantasy III (that's the Japanese-numbered FF3, the one from the NES, never seen in America).

Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI (all three SNES games).

Seiken Densetsu (the prequel to Secret of Mana, released in America on the GameBoy as FF Adventure, and remade on the GBA as Sword of Mana, but may be referring to the "series", which included two SNES titles).

The SaGa series.

Front Mission.

Chrono Trigger.

Hanjuku Hero (I must admit that I don't know this title).

Or the "Chocobo" series (which I believe would mean "Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon", a random-dungeon generating game series on the PSX, IIRC).
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Square considering Final Fantasy ports
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 01:52:14 PM »
I saw this...Very, very interesting to say the least...The fact that they are even considering bringing over a Chrono game makes me tingle...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
RE:Square considering Final Fantasy ports
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 02:19:53 PM »
i would say to bring them all over- they are all great games- i would love to see personally final fantasy 3, 4, and 5 and chrono trigger the most- mana comes next and then the saga series followed by front mission- but i say bring em' all- you can never have enough right???
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 02:51:25 PM »
Wow the SaGa series.  Isn't that the Square series that blows ass?

Anyhoo I would really like it if Final Fantasy III would finally be released in North America.  I don't even really care about the game itself.  It just bugs my purist nature that one can't buy the complete FF series in English if they want to.

What I find really odd about this is that the DS made them consider porting these titles even though the GBA was perfectly suitable for NES and SNES ports.  Why didn't they just do this with the GBA like every other company does when they feel like porting SNES games for a quick buck?

Offline LousySpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:10:48 PM »
The only thing I can see is that the GBA was missing two buttons (X and Y) and may have made it difficult to bring all the necessary functionality to certain games.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 03:19:32 PM »

Wow the SaGa series. Isn't that the Square series that blows ass?

AFAIK, it was "Unlimited SaGa" on the PlayStation that blew ass (as did "Legend of Mana", also on the PlayStation). The rest of the SaGa series has just been Square's mostly-competent "B-grade" series.

"Final Fantasy Legend" 1 to 3 on the GameBoy were the first three SaGa games, and they weren't that bad.

AFAIK, Square had expressed plans to remake those three games on the Wonderswan, along with Seiken Densetsu, but then those plans fell away (and a great remake of Seiken Densetsu appeared on the GBA). So I think this train of thought is a diverted continuation of their Wonderswan plans.

IMO, Seiken Densetsu 2 (AKA: Secret of Mana, AKA: The Best Multiplayer RPG EVAH) begs to be remade on the DS. I'd take a remake of SD2 over a new "FF:CC for the DS", any day of the week. And then while Square's at it, we'd need a port/remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 (AKA: the never released in America "Secret of Mana 2").  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 03:29:28 PM »
Wireless Secret of Mana multiplayer... AAAAAAAHHH!

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 07:42:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I saw this...Very, very interesting to say the least...The fact that they are even considering bringing over a Chrono game makes me tingle...

Personally, I've already tinkled.
Chrono Trigger has that effect on me.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 07:46:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Wow the SaGa series.  Isn't that the Square series that blows ass?

No, no its not.
It was actually quite legendary as a series, reaching its peak in the Super Famicom Golden Age. What followed were a couple decent games for PSOne, and the horrid horrid Unlimited SAGA.
But does the series blow ass?
Nuh-uh.

Edit: completely beaten to the point, and p0wned by the Ruby_Onix

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 07:52:41 PM »
OK, I know this is pretty irresponsible of me to post three times in a row in the same thread....but oh well. Rebel IS ME.

Im thinking that when Square-Enix is saying "do you want us to bring over these games to the DS?" they really mean "which games would you like to see revived and DS-ified?"
Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) should of course receive LAN-enabled multiplayer treatment, for instance. I dont know if Square would up the graphics and sound ante as well (since I recall loving the graphics and music of most of those titles anyway), but touch screen streamlined interfaces also seem logical.

Anyways, I hope the japanese gamers have represented. Makes me want to import the game just to vote myself....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 09:09:37 PM »
Saga and Seiken Densetsu, in that order. Okay, I only played one game of each (3rd of both), but they were really good. Hell, in Saga you could choose to play as the local monarch and send entire armies to war!

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 09:22:43 PM »
If Chrono Trigger gets ported to the DS, and doesn't get an Australian release (I don't care whether the DS will be region free), there will be angst!  Huge angst!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 06:01:46 AM »
Das Wort, nach dem du suchst ist "Totschlag", nicht "Angst".

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 06:50:29 AM »
cool but i bet it wont see europe

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 08:13:02 AM »
I would love the Secret of Mana 2 for the Super Nintendo that was never released in the United States.

I wonder how quickly they could port one of these games to the DS?  I think if they were smart they could easily design a game with all menus on the touch screen and action on the top.  Even with an action RPG such as Secret of Mana you could speed up the game by having the magic spells easy to just touch screen activate.  

Hmmm...

Is it too much to hope we get one by Christmas?  Or sooner?

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Saga and Seiken Densetsu, in that order. Okay, I only played one game of each (3rd of both), but they were really good. Hell, in Saga you could choose to play as the local monarch and send entire armies to war!

Yea, SAGA games were really cool like that. Lots of storyline possiblities was a hallmark of the series. And wandering into areas that you clearly were just not ready for = wooHooooo*Slash*OUCH

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 04:03:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I would love the Secret of Mana 2 for the Super Nintendo that was never released in the United States.

I wonder how quickly they could port one of these games to the DS?  I think if they were smart they could easily design a game with all menus on the touch screen and action on the top.  Even with an action RPG such as Secret of Mana you could speed up the game by having the magic spells easy to just touch screen activate.  

Hmmm...

Is it too much to hope we get one by Christmas?  Or sooner?

Thats not quite as reasonable...because you have to take to consideration that even if Square-Enix started development today, they would not be done for at least 6 months (I think thats a shorter estimate on a development cycle for a handheld game, even a remake). Throw in localization time too....
But really, FF 1+2 was released  very recently in Japan, and it will take a bit for them to tally the results. Clever of them to ask only people who have demonstrated a willingness to buy handheld RPGs.

I really dont mean to burst anyone's bubble here.  But Im a Bad, Bad man.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »
Ok you can say there goes pikkcuber again whinning about how he loves ff6.  But im gonna say it again, I want ff6 so bad on the DS.  getting FF 3/5 here would be great to neither of them ever saw the statue of liiberty.  I wasnt fortunate enough to play chrono trigger when it first came out and when i play it now it seems so outdated to me its hard to get in to it.  But if they can fix the problems and update the graphics alittle and plus the DS it the perfect platform for the perfect genre of games (2-d rpgs of course).  And this might seem kind of strange but i will suggest it, bring me ff 7.  Im sure they could do some tweaking the get it ready for the DS.  I dont know if i can ever truly forgive square for taking the ff series away from me but this would sure help ease the pain.
PikkCuber

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 12:16:44 AM »
 What you say of Chrono Trigger....sacrilege.
Especially in light of your reverence for Final Fantasy 6. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but that still has me scratching my head.
But at any rate I dont understand how Square took away the Final Fantasy series from you....unless you mean you refused to purchase the PSOne for FF 7, 8 and 9....

Perhaps this Secret of Mana game for the DS will be a slight consolation.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 04:38:10 AM »
Well we know now that Final Fantasy 1+2 are being made for GBA.  So we can count them off the list being made for DS...(though we still get to play it.)

I really don't know about getting the older NES games remade.  I remember enjoying the Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games, but the US version of 3, was so long it was insane.  

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 09:40:54 AM »
Yes i am not a fan of the playstation, and dont have one and dont plan on getting one.  I Havent been much of a secret of mana fan either.
PikkCuber

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 11:10:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Well we know now that Final Fantasy 1+2 are being made for GBA.  So we can count them off the list being made for DS...(though we still get to play it.)

I really don't know about getting the older NES games remade.  I remember enjoying the Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games, but the US version of 3, was so long it was insane.

The US Final Fantasy III (or Final Fantasy 6) was a very long game....hehe, but most people would say that to its credit. A more balanced, rich and involved japanese-style RPG than just about everything out there....very few games can top it even now. For people who played it in the time of its release, I'm willing to bet many still count several moments from there among their most memorable video game memories...

Secret of Mana was also a beautifully made game for its time...actually gameplay wise I dont think similar games have evolved all that much beyond it. I'm really looking forward to how they tackle this DS version....handdrawn graphics or 3-D rendered (including toon-shaded)?

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 12:21:52 PM »
i want  4, 5 and 6 on one cart, but honeslty what would be evn more cool is a completely updated remake (NOT PORT) of FF6....

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 03:29:17 PM »
That is a totally, cheap cash-in idea.....but dammit I love that idea anyways.

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 09:46:37 AM »
Exactly Blacknight.  I personally thought ff3/6 wasnt to long at all.  Everybody who played that game remebers Kefka's laugh, or playing a part in the opera scene, its what Todays RPG's are hoping to be.  I think asking for 3 games on one card is asking alittle to much.  The card that nitnendo is using for the DS does not have a big storage capacity (but still better than going with cd's)  If they put the jappannese final fantasys (3 and 5) and then put the snes games (2/3 or 4/6 if your jappanesse) on one that would be great.  They could really make 2 and 3 (4/6) very good remakes if they add extras and stuff.  I always go on and on about 3(6) but 2(4) is no slouch of a game by any means.  Darn Square for screwing up the numbering for us.
PikkCuber