Author Topic: Need help from Wrestling fans...  (Read 5905 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Need help from Wrestling fans...
« on: August 26, 2007, 10:02:13 AM »
I know we have a number of Wrestling fans on these forums, so I need your help.

At my Wal*Mart, I have adopted taking care of the video games.  In what's probably some of the best cared for game cases in the company, I work really hard to group games together in the case based on more criteria than what system it's for (and to be fair, many stores don't even try to sort them by system. )

Anywhoo, I tend to come across a problem with the Wrestling games.  Do I categorize them with the crappy sports games or the crappy entertainment-licensed games (TV shows, Movies, animation, etc....)?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Need help from Wrestling fans...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »
Neither, you throw them in the garbage compactor =D

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »
why don't you let them be the separator between those two groups, since it could fit into either.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »
Boooo! Wrestling games should be the very 1st section.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:05:50 PM »
Personally I'd put them in with the fighting games.  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:08:10 PM »
I'd go with Sports games on top, wrestling in the middle, and fighting games on the bottom.  Put the licensed games in the bottom of the case in stacks so no one can see what titles you have in that section.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:11:28 PM »
Every Walmart I've been in has the game sorted by system then alphabetically. (?)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE:Need help from Wrestling fans...
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 02:11:07 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Every Walmart I've been in has the game sorted by system then alphabetically. (?)

Wow... Not only does that sound like a bad idea, but it sounds like a pain in the butt... Do they move the games completely around every time a new one comes in?

Originally posted by: thatguy
I'd go with Sports games on top, wrestling in the middle, and fighting games on the bottom.  Put the licensed games in the bottom of the case in stacks so no one can see what titles you have in that section.

*shudder*  You'd be surprised how many Wal*Marts I've seen that stack the games up in the bottom so you can't see what's what...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 02:17:32 AM »
I've always seen them alphabetically too. They're all 24 hours, so they have plenty of time to rearrange when a new game comes out, though usually it's in the 1st or last spot for a week or so.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 02:31:46 AM »
meh... it still seems like a bad idea.  Having like games grouped together allows people who are looking at one game see other games that are similar.  And helps parents know "Well, my son likes this game, perhaps he'll like this one."  Can't say I'm too fond of the alphabetical idea...

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »

The Wal-Mart here in town started out alphabetically, but as they got new titles they just stuck them in wherever there was an opening. At this point there's no sorting involved.  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:22:03 AM »
Every Wal-Mart I've been to has shoved games down there.  I figure that if you have to do it, at least do it to the games that you don't want people to buy!

As far as the alphabetical way?  In the two major Wal-Marts that I go to on probably about a monthly basis, I have not seen games stored alphabetically, rather, they've just been given the empty spaces when they move other games out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 05:28:01 AM »
Well, the local Taco Bell lines up its hot sauce packets in a grid pattern, so maybe there's just an anal-retentive streak going through Spokane.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 05:38:29 AM »
UncleBob, why don't you group all wrestling games into one new Wrestling group just like you might have one for just racing games, rpg, and fps.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 07:05:26 AM »

Every Walmart I've been in ...

Originally posted by: Brandogg
I've always seen them alphabetically too. ...

Originally posted by: jasonditz
The Wal-Mart here in town ...

Every Wal-Mart I've been to ...
I haven't been inside a Walmart in years.  I have no idea what their electronics section looks like.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
UncleBob, why don't you group all wrestling games into one new Wrestling group just like you might have one for just racing games, rpg, and fps.

All the One wrestling game?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 08:38:37 AM »
Ok, don't you have like a section with brawler and fighting type games? Put it together with all the other fictional sports games.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
I've seen games sorted by genre, personally I would put Pro Wrestling in the sports genre, just at the end of the section. I know when I go to a Walmart that is the place I look.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:05 AM »
The WWE kind of wrestling is not a sport. Good lord, if they ever consider that a sport than they would have to consider many other entertainments as a sport i.e. performing in a circus.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »

The WWE kind of wrestling is not a sport. Good lord, if they ever consider that a sport than they would have to consider many other entertainments as a sport i.e. performing in a circus.

Guess what, a circus game probably should be put in the sports section too. If cheerleading can be a sport, anything can be.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 10:31:23 AM »
Since when is cheerleading a sport...actually hold that thought, I'm not going to argue with GP.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:34:10 AM »

Since when is cheerleading a sport...actually hold that thought, I'm not going to argue with GP.

Good idea. Oh yeah Wikipedia says it is a sport. I think wrestling games should be grouped with other sports titles because it is simulating a wrestling match, just like a UFC game is simulating a bout. Heck even alot of boxing games that are included in the sports section are less real than the wrestling games.

THe way I see it, wrestlers have dedicated their lives to wrestling and have worked hard, most are athletes with generations of family members joining. Their bodies take a beating, so while it may not be outright competitive it still an athletic and unique sports show (there is really nothing like pro wrestling, it is its own entity).

Anyway regardless of whether it is a "sport" we are talking about how it should be placed in Walmart. I know I look at the sports section for a wrestling game, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »
Well, to be fair, wrestling is a sport, like GP said.  The stuff that isn't commonly on TV is the actual sport, though, while what's on TV is more along the lines of acting + stuntwork.  I think you should put it with the sports, but if there's any open position that almost makes it look separate just a teeny bit, I'd put it there.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »
Of course Cheerleading is a sport.  So is NASCAR.  And Golf.  And Shuffleboard.

I think watching Matlock is a sport as well......

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »

Well, to be fair, wrestling is a sport, like GP said.  The stuff that isn't commonly on TV is the actual sport, though, while what's on TV is more along the lines of acting + stuntwork.  I think you should put it with the sports, but if there's any open position that almost makes it look separate just a teeny bit, I'd put it there.

I agree with that, Pro Wrestling is really a unique entity, which I why I think "sports entertainment" is a good description of it. It is an athletic, yet simulated/scripted competition.