Author Topic: Soccer Discussion: 1.67% Chance of Being the Best Thread on the NWR Forums  (Read 227961 times)

Nice to get a win against Turkey! However, the defense left a lot to be desired, we won't be so lucky against the group of death. That first goal we had was sweet, beautiful pass by Bradley and an even better finish by Johnson. The young guys are.......young. It'll be interesting to see if they can contribute when it matters most.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
High ranking FIFA officials are calling for a re-vote on 2022. I think it’ll take more than just proof of bribery, human rights violations and massive logistical issues to get Sepp Blatter to agree to that, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
People always talk about how many German-Americans are on the U.S. team, and there are a bunch of them, but the real key are the Scandinavian-Americans. Mix Diskerud and Aron "Iceman" Johnnsson are stars in the making.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
While the human rights violations are real and disgusting, how did you NOT SEE that happening?! First of all, Qatar is following the exact same formula as the U.A.E. (although with even more promise as their Queen is amazing and heads the Qatar Foundation, which needless to say, is the ****!). Second of all, a few minor changes is all that's need to fix this terrible embarrassment, leading to Qatar (and all Arab countries) saving face and FIFA looking great in the eyes of the world. And lastly, "it's too hot" is idiotic. Qatar is promising a solution for that problem that I, for one, NEED to see. It's artificial clouds to block the sun. Artificial clouds. Fucking amazing.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The continued injury reports coming out of Germany and Portugal make me far happier than the pain of a fellow human being ever should. The group of death gets a little less deadly, bit by bit. Between that and that German elephant picking us I'm starting to think we might just have a chance.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Pah. I would trust the Paul the Octopus over the German elephant... though he died some time ago. Our hope now passes to the Baby Pandas.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The US finished their series of pre-World Cup friendlies with a 2-1 over Nigeria, with Jozy Altidore busting out of his slump to score both goals. The team's coming together at just the right time, and between that and how banged up Germany and Portugal are I'm starting to get my hopes up of getting out of the group of death.

I also got to attend my first MLS match tonight, being in Chicago to see my Sounders take on the Fire. It was a crazy game, with two first half red cards leading to extended 10 on 10 action. It got tense toward the end, but the Sounders won 3-2, extending their lead at the top of the table.

J.P. Corbran

Yesterday's match proved the obvious. This team will go as far as Michael Bradley takes it. The guy's motor is unbelieveable.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If Bradley can play like that and Jozy can actually score the team might be able to make some noise. They seem to be peaking at the right time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It's on.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Terrible officiating tips a game in favor of the host nation. Also, water is wet.

J.P. Corbran

That penalty was disgusting. I'm getting a sixth sense that Brazil is going to get those calls all tournament.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I was reading an article making the argument that Omar Gonzalez was one of the weak links on the US team, which I agree with to an extent, but it made the claim that he was the most hot-and-cold player on the team, which is just ridiculous. Jozy Altidore's probably the most inconsistent player in the entire tournament, let alone just the US team.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Heh, my wife was searching for clips of the first game online and all she could find were clips of Pitbull with his awful pants. Even J-Lo was giving him the stink-eye for them. Gotta wonder who did his wardrobe for the opening show.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

I was reading an article making the argument that Omar Gonzalez was one of the weak links on the US team, which I agree with to an extent, but it made the claim that he was the most hot-and-cold player on the team, which is just ridiculous. Jozy Altidore's probably the most inconsistent player in the entire tournament, let alone just the US team.
I agree about Jozy being the most inconsistent. Last year it was around June when he had that nice string of goals for us during qualifying. I hope the last game means a return to that form. Omar worries me because Im not sure how he or anyone on that backline is going to handle the opposition during the tournament. I really wish someone like Cherundolo could've stayed healthy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The backline should be interesting to watch. Fabian Johnson's good, but he'll be up against some pretty tough competiton. Cameron and Besler are a solid pair in the middle, but don't have much experience working togeter, which could be an issue. DaMarcus Beasley has all the experience you could want, becoming the first American to play in four World Cups, but he's like 80 years old at this point so I don't know how much he's got left.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
So here we are, a little less than 12 hours from kickoff, and I'm becoming my usual crazy pessimistic self. We could be basically screwed before we even hit the pitch, because Portugal beating Germany earlier in the day would create a much harder scenario.

I've spent my life as a Cleveland sports fan, so my natural position on these things is to assume the worst. Really, though, with actual serious outlets predicting the US not only won't win a game, but won't score a single goal, that seems to be the common assumption here.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
And seriously, why is Bedoya given the edge over Zusi? Wasn’t  thrilled with him starting even with 2 wide guys, but especially in the 4-3-2-1. There are at least three guys I'd rather have alongside Beckerman and Jones than Bedoya.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES NATIONAL TEAM JOHN ANTHONY BROOKS!

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Zusi to Brooks. I will never doubt Klinsmann the rest of the way. Man what a game.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Seriously though, John Brooks? How many people wrote angry articles criticizing Klinsmann for picking him over Gonzalez that they then had to delete?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Excellent game. I was 20 minutes behind everyone else...but I kept myself spoiler-free from Twitter. Great job, USMNT.

And now I look forward to Thursday...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Just watched the highlights. what a header by Brooks!! Fantastic corner by Zusi as well! Only downer was Altidore's injury. Still, with Pepe's red card earlier today I'm feeling a bit more hopeful about Sunday's game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If the US beats Portugal on Sunday they're through to the knockout stage regardless of what they do against Germany.

Hoping against hope there's good news for Jozy. I'm not sure what Klinsmann will do if he's out. I like Iceman, but I don't think he's ready to be the focus of a World Cup attack. There really isn't another player in the US pool with the same kind of skillset as Altidore; closest is probably Terrence Boyd, and Klinsy cut him. Maybe a move to more of a traditional two forward system instead of the target forward model they play with Jozy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Hey...at least we still have "that other striker".

You know who I'm talking about. Klinsmann is such a wizard that by the time this is all over he probably will have justified every single questionable roster pick that was made.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV