Author Topic: Nintendo Direct Scheduled for Thursday Evening  (Read 9325 times)

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Nintendo Direct Scheduled for Thursday Evening
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »

The first Direct of 2014 to reveal details about Wii U and 3DS games expected this spring.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/36536

The first Nintendo Direct of 2014 is scheduled to air Thursday, February 13, Nintendo announced today.

This week's Direct will deal specifically with Wii U and 3DS games expected to be released by the end of spring. No further information about content was provided.

Tomorrow's Direct will air simultaneously around the world. The North American presentation starts at 5PM ET and in Europe around 23:00 CET; a notable departure from the usual early morning broadcast. Japan will get their broadcast at 07:00 JST on the 14th, which used to be 23:00 JST in the previous set-up.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Direct Scheduled for Thursday Evening
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »
Isn't Mario Kart 8 the only "big" game coming out this spring?   What else is there?   Are they already bringing out Kirby 3DX?   That doesn't seem likely.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
Alright! It's On Pre-Donkey Kong!  ;)

Seriously, Nintendo needs to show up this time, and they need to hit hard. Here's hoping for some Wii U stuff they haven't revealed before...and more X walking trailers.  :P:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline thumbscar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • bookwyrm05 blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »
This smells like something will be released that we haven't heard about yet. Or maybe it will just be an indie highlight spot, letting us know specifically when what will come out. If is the announcement of a previously unknown larger title, that'd be a bombshell.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »
Part of the QoL is that X is going to that platform as the Walking game we all know and wanted.

The Heavens will Open and ALL WiiU owners will be forced to Buy Harddrives as the Shower of Digital games coming Raining Down Upon us.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »
Will this be the start of a major refocused effort or will it be a concession speech for the Wii U?

Sadly it probably won't be either extreme.  I figure we'll get business as usual from Nintendo as they act like everything is the same as it always was while their house goes up in flames around them.  If Nintendo fails they won't crash in burn, they'll just slowly run out of gas and stop at the side of the road.

I want something suggesting a new direction.  Oh, and one that relates to VIDEOGAMES and not some non-gaming exercise bullshit.  If it starts with Iwata announcing his resignation or retirement I will celebrate like it's somehow New Year's Eve and the Fourth of July on the same day.  Still I can't imagine anything other than a time machine could undo the damage the Wii era has done to Nintendo on the console front.  I think handheld-only is the best Nintendo future I can hope for.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »
Probably mostly updates on games we know about. Perhaps a storyline trailer for Bayonetta 2. I expect a new Super Smash Bros. character reveal.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »

Time for some Snark to keep our expectations low!

Prediction: Flappy Bird has been bought and is being re-released as a Wii U exclusive featuring Luigi with a pair of cardboard wings.

Prediction: Watch_Dogs Wii U is being delayed so that it can release simultaneously with Day-One-DLC featuring Aiden Pierce in a Mario Cat Suit.

Prediction: QOL platform will feature subcutaneous shocker for negative reinforcement everytime you eat fatty food.

Prediction: 3DS Virtual Console will add Timex Sinclair games in lieu of Game Boy Advance titles.

Prediction: Steel Diver HD Free To Play MMO.

Prediction: Nintendo Gamecube console platform is officially cancelled. Upcoming Gamecube titles will either be canceled or ported to Wii U. Expect Doshin the Giant HD for NA release in Q4 2014

Prediction: Retro turns down creating original IP in order to port DK Tropical Freeze to 3DS by Q3 2016.

Prediction: Lucario is now being removed from Smash Bros due to legal reasons.

Prediction: Wonderful 102 scheduled for release on IOS and Android as Freemium Pay-To-Win title.

Prediction: Balloon Fight coming to the Wii U Virtual Console again for $9.95. Same as previous 30 cent version but you are allowed to buy both.

And finally, Prediction: Stealing the plot from Spawn: The Movie, Iwata wires a detonator to his heart so that in the event of death, Nintendo Headquarters is destroyed by laser from orbit. Iwata threatens Seppuku if removed from power.

Offline regin

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
Why put on a direct when it will do nothing more than underline that the only game they have lined up before E3 is Mario Kart? I guess it makes sense if Iwata secretly loves to apologize for his screw ups over and over and over again on camera.

Offline geckog7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
He will ask us to please buy Mario and Sonic at Sochi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
Prediction: Retro turns down creating original IP in order to port DK Tropical Freeze to 3DS by Q3 2016.

This one isn't funny.  I can totally see this happening.

Why put on a direct when it will do nothing more than underline that the only game they have lined up before E3 is Mario Kart? I guess it makes sense if Iwata secretly loves to apologize for his screw ups over and over and over again on camera.

I'm kind of hoping that Mario Kart isn't the only game before E3.  Seriously though Tropical Freeze ain't out yet.  I'm sure Iwata thinks showing that off some more is going to go over well.

While setting yourself up to look bad is stupid that doesn't mean that Nintendo won't do it.  If they were aware of what decisions are stupid they wouldn't have made the thousand or so stupid decisions that have put them where they are in the first place.  Of course if Nintendo just stays silent it confirms negative assumptions about the Wii U's future.  They kind of have to say something.  Even excluding the Wii U from a 3DS-only Direct would raise suspicion about the Wii U's future.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
I expect it to just be more information for games we already know exist, maybe some release dates.

I know I tend to say this for most Directs, but I just try to keep my expectations in check.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're going to throw a curveball. Even Nintendo can't be oblivious to the death chant being taken up around them.

Now, that curveball might be completely ineffective: Surprise SNES Remix, F2P NFC game launching imminently, Pushmo Deluxe for WiiU, WiiU ports of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2, HD remasters of N64 classics, etc.

I'm keeping expectations low, but I would definitely be interested in meaty DLC for Super Mario 3D World.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're going to throw a curveball. Even Nintendo can't be oblivious to the death chant being taken up around them.

Now, that curveball might be completely ineffective: Surprise SNES Remix, F2P NFC game launching imminently, Pushmo Deluxe for WiiU, WiiU ports of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion 2, HD remasters of N64 classics, etc.

I'm keeping expectations low, but I would definitely be interested in meaty DLC for Super Mario 3D World.

Yes, this, absolutely.  I know that someone from EAD Tokyo has said before that no DLC was planned, but I would LOVE Super Luigi 3D World! (or whatever)
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
Whatever it is, I know it won't contain anything F-Zero or Starfox, so I am disappointed by default

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
@sorayasaga (a confirmed Twitter account belonging to the spouse of a Monolithsoft employee) only RTs Nintendo Direct announcements where Monolithsoft games appear. Specifically, Xenoblade/X.

She RTed the NCL announcement.

It's time, once again, for everybody to come aboard the...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »
Bayo 2 pls. The only thing i care about in present line-up.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
There's nothing on the horizon for spring that will get me excited for Wii U. I'm treating this direct as a dud already.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »

There's nothing on the horizon for spring that will get me excited for Wii U. I'm treating this direct as a dud already.

The December Direct was said to be for Early 2014 games and yet they still revealed Hyrule Warriors, a new trailer for Mario Kart 8 and showed the Rosalina trailer for Smash Bros.  None of these three games were anywhere close to early 2014 and yet they were still shown, so just because Nintendo says it's for Spring games means they wont show some games that are coming out beyond Spring.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 12:19:21 AM »
If ever there was a time to "Kick ass and take names" it's now. And I know nothing big is set to happen, maybe highlight some indie titles, Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong trailer. Even a new smash character for smash. But this is all probable to obvious predictions.

THIS IS THE TIME WHEN OPTIMUS PRIME, COMES OUT THE SHUTTLE AND SHUTS **** DOWN.

"LIGHT OUR DARKEST HOUR"

Offline BarryH

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:53 AM »
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Mario Golf: World Tour, Yoshi's New Island and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. Done.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 03:00:05 AM »
Took a stroll on NeoGAF and that hype train is going into overdrive.

-Based on retweets from game makers people are predicting Bayonetta 2 and X info and possibly something from Next Level.

-The Direct tomorrow will be 41 minutes, longer than any Direct aside from the E3 one.

-Sakurai retweeted the Direct announcement, and posted a teaser for the Direct as the Smash Dojo pic of the day. People are hyped for a new Smash Bros. character reveal (money seems to be on Dixie/Diddy tag team character).

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 03:40:23 AM »
All I want is X information or a trailer. If they give us a Smash Bro.s trailer, that'll be fine too.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »
Hopefully they will show off Miiverse app for Android and iOS devices!  :D

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »
Predictions that Are Practically Free Spaces on a Bingo Card:

Mario Kart 8
Smash Brothers something
Donkey Kong
Bayonette 2 Something
MiiVerse Something

At this point we may see something on X as well.  Though to be honest Bayonette and X need to be tangible playable things.  If the rumor of the Indie games coming to flood WiiU is true that may be interesting.  There is a really outside chance that there may be a 3DS replacement Teaser.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.