Author Topic: At what point does the handheld become a laptop?  (Read 4903 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
At what point does the handheld become a laptop?
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:36:21 AM »
I mean as a laptop is to a PC, so would be a handheld to a console.

Same OS, same software, close enough functionality. Just portable. Take your Wii 3 disc and put it in your Wii portable. Or more likely, sign on to your account and play the same downloaded game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: At what point does the handheld become a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:42:09 AM »
What you just described is the PlayStation Vita.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:49:35 AM »
I would imagine that scenario would happen if the wiiU2's tablet controller was itself a handheld, and wasnt tethered by blutooth.

it would also cost a boatload
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:52:19 AM by Lithium »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »
When you can install any OS and any program on it  :D
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:31:49 AM »
Take your Wii 3 disc and put it in your Wii portable. Or more likely, sign on to your account and play the same downloaded game.

hahahaha... Nintendo and accounts. hahahaha
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »

Close, but I can't pop Uncharted 3 into a Vita.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »

Close, but I can't pop Uncharted 3 into a Vita.

No, instead you can pop a better Uncharted game into a Vita.  :P:

To me, a handheld becomes a laptop when it's around the size of the iPad and has a built-in keyboard. None of that "Virtual Keyboard" nonsense. I'm talking about a real physical keyboard.  At that point, IMO you have a laptop.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Golden Abyss is not better than 3, you moron.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »
We are almost to the point where the Wii U could be just a tablet, with all the hardware could fit in there, but it would be pricey.

Nintendo may have an advantage since they has this patented streaming tech that works very well. Just stream from the Pad to the the TV instead of vice versa.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
We are almost to the point where the Wii U could be just a tablet, with all the hardware could fit in there, but it would be pricey.

Nintendo may have an advantage since they has this patented streaming tech that works very well. Just stream from the Pad to the the TV instead of vice versa.

With Nintendo merging their console and handheld hardware divisions, this seems like a logical step forward. Design one console-quality device that can be taken anywhere, with a receiver that plugs in to your TV so it can stream content to the TV. It would be exactly like a Wii U except that you could take the whole experience with you (excluding some games like Zombi U that could require you to use both screens, just like how off-screen play is limited to certain games on Wii U).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
Microsoft is trying to do something like that with their Windows 8 tablets, where you can take it with you as a tablet, but can also attach a keyboard to it to make it a laptop. It's a smart idea and I would love for Nintendo to do it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »
Golden Abyss is not better than 3, you moron.

Damn, I'd forgotten about this topic. :P: :

Yes, it is better in just about every way but visuals (Uncharted 3 is a terrible game that only had decent reviews because the gaming press was wowed by the set pieces, meaningless though they are), and the same to you, sir.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:02:35 PM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
How so? The gameplay is much more advanced than GA. The storyline was junk. It was more akin to Uncharted 1 than anything.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
I haven't played Golden Abyss, but Among Thieves shits all over Drake's Deception in just about every way. The drug trip and being lost in the desert (which felt like over an hour of slogging through desert, but was probably only 10-15 minutes) were 2 of the worst experiences I've ever had in a video game. I get what they were trying to do, but I didn't think it was fun. If Golden Abyss doesn't have any of that nonsense, I'd probably agree that it's a better game than Uncharted 3.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
Yes, but I never mentioned Among Thieves. I agree, The second games was damn near perfect. But to say that Golden Abyss is better than Drake's Deception is deluding themselves.

(And I actually like both those scenes.)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Yes, but I never mentioned Among Thieves.
And I never said you did. I was just mentioning Among Thieves since the series was brought up.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »
Yes, but I never mentioned Among Thieves. I agree, The second games was damn near perfect. But to say that Golden Abyss is better than Drake's Deception is deluding themselves.

Sorry for the late reply, but I think that anyone who says that Drake's incredibly loosely-woven Deception is better than Golden Abyss is deluding themselves with pointless set piece moments.

Suffice it to say, I have a lot of problems with Uncharted 3, most notably the shooting that didn't feel quite right to me after Uncharted 2 and a story full of possibly more filler than both previous Uncharted games combined.  Go ahead, tell me who the main villain is in Uncharted 3, and I mean beyond the surface level information. Who is she, because the game never bothers to tell us?  All we ever know about her is that she wants the ring to find the treasure because...treasure is nice, I guess?

That would normally be fine, but the game seems to strongly hint that there's more to her motivation than that.  Unfortunately, she's in maybe 3 scenes in the entire game, so to say she's a total waste is a huge understatement.  And for that matter, what's the deal with her mind-control toxin-wielding henchman, who has this almost magical connection with tarot cards? Can he tell the future? Can he manipulate fate? Or it is just another plot thread Naughty Dog cut at the last moment so they could throw in another pointless set piece moment?

Which brings me to my biggest problem with the game: the sheer pointlessness of at least half the game.  At numerous times throughout the game, Drake receives more than fair warning that there's nothing good awaiting him at the end of the journey, yet he pursues it anyway.  The villain's plan only moves forward because Drake won't just stop.  And I realize that that's his character arc in this game.  However, after everything he's experienced in the 1st 2 games (where in both games he flat-out demanded to stop the journey and had to be brought back in by other characters), I think it's bad writing to have Drake not have learned from his experiences by now.

And go ahead, defend the entire middle 1/3 of the game involving the pirates. You can't. It's pretty and it's technologically impressive what Naughty Dog does with their set piece moments there, but at the end of that arc Drake is literally right back where he started with absolutely nothing accomplished.

Add on top of that very weak contributions from the supporting cast, wildly imbalanced combat scenarios (two specific sequences come to mind, one against the pirates in the floating junkyard and the other at the end against the teleporting, armored, shotgun-wielding enemies), and some just bad level design (hooray for the return of the "kill rooms" where stealth is almost impossible so get used to fending off 5 billion generic goons!), and I think Drake's Deception is a very bad game.

By contrast, I think Golden Abyss works through its simplicity.  The story is simple, but you understand the villain and why he does what he does. The gameplay is suitably varied, the levels are well-designed to allow several different combat approaches, and I think the game encourages more exploration with better puzzles than Uncharted 3 does (which is all about the plot railroad...such as it is).  Are certain Vita features over-used? Certainly, though they didn't bother me that much.  Does it lack the over-the-top set piece moments of previous games? In a way, yes, but I found the combat scenarios to be set piece moments in themselves (such as when you're trying to protect your allies from waves of enemies while grappling around overhead on ruins, or when you're taking turns distracting a turret so you can eventually work your way around an enemy).

And Golden Abyss doesn't cheat with magic B.S. at the end like the 3 console games do. That's a nice feather in its cap for me.

Overall, I'm not going to call Golden Abyss "the best" Uncharted game, as Among Thieves is clearly the best in the series, but I'd at least put it ahead of the underwhelming Uncharted 3.  And that's all I'm going to say in pulling this thread off-track.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:10:20 PM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
its called a ps vita that does what its supposed to  do

closest we got was the gameboy player