Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572727 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 6/11/13 Thats today folks.
« Reply #5950 on: June 11, 2013, 11:56:23 PM »
After having some time for it to sink in, I actually like every game I've seen. My main problem now is lack of variety. I love platformers, but there are just too many now. Or at least, not enough other stuff. Either way you want to look at it, Nintendo's lineup lacks some variety.

And there are especially too many 2D platformers. I enjoy these too, but not at the cost of 3D platformers. 3D ones haven't been around for nearly as long, and I don't feel like we've come close to reaching their full potential. Unlike 2D, whereas not much has changed outside of graphics and spectacle.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
I think part of the reason I'm so positive about this is that for me there's no such thing as too many platformers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: June 12, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »
I think part of the reason I'm so positive about this is that for me there's no such thing as too many platformers.
Hm. I think that's probably true for me. I guess it's better phrased as "not enough other stuff." And I can certainly say that all this appeals to me far more than anything MS or Sony showed. Which would be practically nothing in both cases.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: June 12, 2013, 12:05:29 AM »
I was a little under whelmed with the presentation partly because I couldn't get a good connection going. Now after all the developer directs and gameplay videos I am super happy!

We knew about almost all the games but now they got fleshed out! W101, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Bayonetta 2, DK Freeze, Smash Bros with Mega Man, Sonic and few more made this a great E3 for Wii U.

Too bad for barely no new 3rd party announcements but well, that's the world we live in. I'm happy!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5954 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »

Agreed. And it could be worse, we could have too many shooters.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:50 AM »
After having some time for it to sink in, I actually like every game I've seen. My main problem now is lack of variety. I love platformers, but there are just too many now. Or at least, not enough other stuff. Either way you want to look at it, Nintendo's lineup lacks some variety.

I'll mostly agree with this part (still not a beat-em-up fan, so I can leave Bayonetta in particular, and only Batman excited me in the third-party section). I'm not super-concerned yet about the lack of variety, but if it's semi-fair to accuse the other systems of focusing too much on shooters, it's equally fair to accuse the Wii U of being too platformer-heavy.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: June 12, 2013, 12:47:33 AM »
I'm feeling better this evening after drinking somewhat, but the main point stands is that there are too many platformers, even though that's hard to do for me. I just finished the story mode of NSMBU and I don't feel like I need to play another classic style 2D platformer for awhile.

I was pretty unhappy with the Tropical Freeze reveal, but will admit that the trailer actually looked great. Like, I'm sure I will eventually play every platformer revealed, but over the course of 2-3 years to spread it out. Especially as I played the hell out of the original DKCR.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:10 AM »
I have to agree with you good folks. While the lack of exciting surprises was disappointing, I thought what they showed was solid. I didn't think any of the games looked ground-breaking or revolutionary, but they all looked fun.

That said, barring delays, 2014 should be a big year for the Wii U.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:01:43 AM by Retro Deckades »

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: June 12, 2013, 07:36:57 AM »
I'm feeling better this evening after drinking somewhat, but the main point stands is that there are too many platformers, even though that's hard to do for me. I just finished the story mode of NSMBU and I don't feel like I need to play another classic style 2D platformer for awhile.

I was pretty unhappy with the Tropical Freeze reveal, but will admit that the trailer actually looked great. Like, I'm sure I will eventually play every platformer revealed, but over the course of 2-3 years to spread it out. Especially as I played the hell out of the original DKCR.

NSMB U was a very good platformer and $20 for Luigi U isn't bad.  Does the new DKCR have a release date?  I think it would be good for it to release next year and skip a year of NSMB.  I can handle a good 2D platformer every year. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: June 12, 2013, 07:55:37 AM »
Hm. I think that's probably true for me. I guess it's better phrased as "not enough other stuff." And I can certainly say that all this appeals to me far more than anything MS or Sony showed. Which would be practically nothing in both cases.
I agree with both of you. I grew up on platformers. I'll never say no to a good one. Nintendo is giving me sequels to two of the best from the last few years.

There is a lack of variety which is a bit disconcerting. Still, there are only two third party games on other platforms that really interest me: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Maybe The Evil Within (Shinji Mikami's new game which looks like what Resident Evil 5 would have been if he never left Capcom), but so little is known of it right now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: June 12, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »
My favourite genre would be adventure games like Zelda and Metroid.  If that was the genre Nintendo decided to milk to death would my perspective be different?

I like 2D platformers but they peaked 20 years ago.  Nintendo is not really doing much new with them.  I liked the retro-revival of them a few years back but that buzz is over.  If Nintendo had more variety I could live with all the platformers.  But they don't so every "redundant" platformer is taking up the "slot" of something else we COULD be getting.  Nintendo has no help from third parties in filling the genre gaps.  So what the hell are they doing giving us multiple 2D platformers when there are whole genres absent on the Wii U?  When you have to carry an entire console on your own you shouldn't have ANY genre being represented by multiple games from different teams.  It just makes no sense.  Nintendo is preparing Thanksgiving dinner and they've got one person working on apple pie and another on pumpkin pie but no one is cooking a turkey!  So I get no FPS, no sandbox game, no shmup but I get multiple 2D platformers?  Fill the other genres before you double-up on the others.

I also buy new consoles for new gameplay experiences.  I have a big backlog of old NES, SNES & Genesis games.  If I want 2D platformers I can last years on these retro systems.  Most old consoles have an extensive enough library that no one can truly make full use of it.  Therefore if new consoles do not provide anything that old consoles did not, one might as well explore the library of their old consoles and I've got a lot of them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: June 13, 2013, 01:32:36 AM »
I'm mildly disappointed that there was no mention of Dragon Quest X being brought over. Nerds...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:56 AM »
The Best Buy near me was added back in the participant list to The Nintendo Experience so I went there to check out the four demonstrations and snag some street passes.

I arrived at a little before 4PM and the line was already bending around two corners of the video game section. I could have stayed in the line, wait to play one game, and get a coin, foam hat, or flag. Instead, I perished the thought of playing one of the demos and watched the people play for two and half hours. That might seem such a waste of time, but I'm confident that I didn't need to control one of the games first hand. I can't imagine the games to control radically different from their predecessors.

First off, all four of the look fantastic in person; Mario Kart 8 most of all and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD the least. Mario Kart 8 was constantly played in (vertical) split screen to have as many people be able to play. Even with the split screen, the game ran very smoothly. The details and flourishes on the tracks and characters are lively and vibrant. The lighting of a fire ball bounce down the hall way of the Boo house track makes the racing come alive. Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze look great with their high definition graphics. 3D World is quite a step up from 3D Land with more details and things going on. Topical Freeze's graphical upgrade is less obvious since Donkey Kong Country Returns looked so great on the Wii. Wind Waker HD still features the geometry of the Gamecube original so the better textures, lighting, and effects are a bit hard to spot at first glance. Wind Waker HD does have a sharper look compared to the original, but you may have to stare a bit harder to see the differences.

The anti-gravity hover mode of Mario Kart 8 certainly makes the perspective take wild twists. Colliding in the hover mode causes karts to spin out and lose a bit of speed. When a player falls in to an out of bounds area, Lakitu immediately pulls the player back on the track without a lengthy cut scene.

The multiplayer in 3D World is as chaotic and messy as it was in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U. The Cat Suit is highly useful with its swipes, pounces, and wall climbing abilities. The big snake boss that summons little snakes require the Cat Suit's climbing abilities in order to defeat the boss quickly.

Tropical Freeze and Wind Waker HD play as you would expect them to. Tropical Freeze's demonstration boss is the same long 9-10 hit chores as DKCR bosses were. Wind Waker HD now has gyroscope aiming ala Ocarina of Time 3D.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - a thread with subtitles.
« Reply #5963 on: June 13, 2013, 02:57:27 AM »
I'm mildly disappointed that there was no mention of Dragon Quest X being brought over. Nerds...
I was thinking the same thing today. This was probably the last realistic chance we had of seeing it, and likely means it's never coming over. :(

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: June 13, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
I'm surprised people aren't kicking more of a fuss over this though maybe that is because it has only been like two and a half months since the Wii U version launched in Japan. Seems like the type of game Nintendo should be pushing more since Dragon Quest is one of the few big third party franchises they've been able to consistently get on their hardware and it's arguably the biggest series in Japan.

I think an Operation Rainfall type movement will spring up if too much time passes. Unfortunately, only Nintendo has the means of bringing the game over to North America since XSEED is too small to handle the servers needed for the game, even though the game would be no where near as popular here.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
Mario Kart 8 looks gorgeous! Everything is so smooth, with no jaggies or frame rate stutters at all. The lighting and shadows make everything look more realistic, which is surprising for a Mario game. I'm very impressed, and have high hopes that future Wii U games can stand up to the sheer power of Xbox One and PS4.

Here's hoping we get a track editor. I've been spoiled by LittleBigPlanet Karting.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: June 13, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
My favorite genres are plain platformers (I don't like the ratchet and clank thing where you shoot more than you jump), zelda style adventure games, devil may cry style action games, and racing games. I don't buy a lot of new games because I don't have the time to play so many each month and I like saving money. So I'm okay with the Wii U and I'm thrilled at all the games announced. Nintendo Direct was cool with me. I'm not burned out on any of those and don't feel like retro owes me anything so I'm not pissed off about donkey kong. Yeah I knew about all of those games, but I always knew about mario kart and zelda and a 3d mario and a mario kart. And I'm okay with getting new versions of those because they'll all be really good games that I can spend a lot of time with. I guess it's just easier to be excited about Nintendo's stuff when you're seriously not interested in the dominant genre and also don't really care about the financial future of the company, or their perception. If they stop making the games I'll stop playing new games and it'll be a bummer but life won't change that terribly much for me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »
Nintendo and Sony sold me on the Wii U and PS4. No restrictive DRM policies, no "always online" requirement, plenty of first-party games that I'm actually interested in, and Nintendo's upcoming lineup looks intriguing.

The Wii U is a bargain at $300 - $350, and it's a much better value (for me) than paying $500 for the Xbox One and a forced camera peripheral. Can't wait to get my "Super Zelda Smashing Kart 3D World" on this holiday!

As for the PS4, I'm so glad Sony is leaving all those DRM policies up to the third-party publishers. $400 for a future-proof console with 8GB GDDR5 RAM is a steal.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5968 on: June 13, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted, but the Wii U had the most exclusives at E3. http://i.imgur.com/ZWK5YzZ.png
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: June 13, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
I'm sure there will be a way to make this sound shitty for Nintendo.

So be it. I'm going to have tons of fun this year.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: June 13, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted, but the Wii U had the most exclusives at E3. http://i.imgur.com/ZWK5YzZ.png

But can't that be said for every nintendo system ever?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5971 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
Possibly.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #5972 on: June 14, 2013, 03:49:15 AM »
It had more exclusive, but it had less games overall.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
And suddenly, a wild Armikrog appears! With a Wii U stretch goal. And talks about how Ninty is excited about the project and fast tracked them to be an official Wii U developer.

They still have a lot of money to get though before they even hit the original funding goal, much less the stretch goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog/posts/518224
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Nintendo, besides being a platform(s) holder is also one of the biggest publishers and developers in the world.

And all they develop is exclusive to their hardware.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks