Author Topic: Episode 416: ExciteClaus  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 416: ExciteClaus
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »

We're more than happy to recommend a few Club Nintendo rewards.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39598/episode-416-exciteclaus

We have a snappy episode for you this week, starting with New Business As Usual. Jonny tees off with Gunman Clive 2 from the 3DS eShop, and he also recounts multiplayer (very multiplayer) bouts of Mario Kart 8 and ye olde Nintendo Land. James digs into the new demo for Code Name S.T.E.A.M. and finds cause for both hype and (mild) concern. Guillaume goes full retro with Wario Land 3 and Mighty Final Fight, and Jon gets annoyed by one of his all-time favorite games with Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Listener Mail includes three letters this week. One requests our top picks from the final set of 100+ Club Nintendo rewards. The second laments Joystiq's demise and asks about which gaming news sites we can recommend to fill that void in everyone's hearts. The final letter asks about the possibility of using the 3DS as a Splatoon controller, which launches a discussion on Splatoon local and online multiplayer.

We still have lots of good emails to cover soon, but you should never wait to send in a hot idea for the show. Also, we had to close RetroActive voting earlier than planned, due to a problem with the survey service... We'll fix that next time, but as it is, voting was cut off after 100 votes, and the winner is Pokemon: The Trading Card Game! Download your copy on 3DS (or find the old Game Boy Color cartridge) to play along and discuss the game with the RFN crew on an upcoming episode.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 416: ExciteClaus
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:57 AM »
Good show. Enjoyed the prodding at Jon's scanning woes.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
You're kidding me, I thought there was absolutely no way the pokemon trading card game could win.
Shows how well I understand the Nintendo audience

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
First, I'd like to say that Gui left a lot of dead air between new business and now playing.

second, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2C2hadQVLc AW YEAH, BABY! <3

I am jazzed for this thread to open!!!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:20:30 PM »
You're kidding me, I thought there was absolutely no way the pokemon trading card game could win.

No. It's followers of Radio Free Nintendo gleefully subjecting the panel to an RPG or the longest game if the opportunity presents itself for RetroActive.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 11:09:44 PM »
100% scanning in Metroid Prime sounds horrifying...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:12:17 AM »
If the plan was just to torture us I win because I literally just talked about the game a few months ago! I already played it
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 03:03:50 AM »
which was a fun discussion by the way, James. Let it be known I'm jazzed for more, and jazzed to tell you folks what sort of things you should be teching into your decks and about some of the hottest decks in the early Pokemon TCG Meta!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:34 AM »
100% scanning in Metroid Prime sounds horrifying...

Hey, if you're gonna torture yourself, might as well go all out.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »

No. It's followers of Radio Free Nintendo gleefully subjecting the panel to an RPG or the longest game if the opportunity presents itself for RetroActive.

And that's why I haven't participated in a RetroActive in forever. 

As far as Club Nintendo goes, my first choice was Starfox 64 3D.  I always wanted the game but didn't want to pay the asking price.

The other games I'm mostly interested in are for the Wii VC.  But I don't think I'd really play them.  I might just end up doing some giveaways or something in March.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:14:23 PM »
Just finished the rest of the podcast and wanted to say one thing about Splatoon.  I 100% agree the game should have voice chat.  But I would never use it.  I play a lot of online Call of Duty and never use the voice chat.  I would say the majority of people who play the game don't use voice chat.  That doesn't mean it shouldn't be there, but if it isn't it won't really affect my enjoyment of the game.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »

To the point where even games that aren't rpgs (like this one, it's a simulation first and formost) get bashed as well.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
Enjoyed the discussion about what people would pick from the Club Nintendo rewards list.

Totally happy that Fluidity (WiiWare) got talked about because that game was wonderful and terribly overlooked because of the platform. Personally I think the console version is leaps and bounds better than the portable one - the open level design was just much more fun to explore and find secrets in than the time trial-based Spin Sequel sequel.

I'll wait to see how many coins I have in the end, but expect to be under 600 coins after buying physical goods. Top picks I'm thinking about include:

* Super Mario World (Wii U) - only other version I own is GBA, might be nice on a big screen
* Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! (WiiWare) - can't recommend a glorified demo to everyone, but it's kind of cool as a digital collectible... totally agree with comments in the show
* Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (3DS) - looks really cool, although I never cared enough to actually pay real money for it
NNID: ejamer