Author Topic: Ocarina of Time Coming to US Virtual Console  (Read 9678 times)

Offline pyrokamileon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Ocarina of Time Coming to US Virtual Console
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 07:33:28 PM »
Ok so playing Super Mario 64 with some other newer version of a joystick (because the N64 one wasn't so good) does sound appealing.  however a game like Ocarina of Time that uses the C buttons wouldn't be so good with a stick and thats where the N64 controller really shines.

I'd like to see someone release a different Wii remote to go with the Nunchuck, one that could act as an N64 second half...  I mean what if instead of a remote the right half of the Wiimote/Nunchuck duo was just like the nunchuck but instead of having a joystick it was fatter and it had A, B and four C buttons?  or maybe just A, B, X, Y but when you held one of the shoulder buttons A, B, X, Y changed to C up, C down, C left, and D right?  I guess it's not such a good idea because not everyone would have one and no game developer could rely on any one person having one but it could be a nice new option for the VC...
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Ocarina of Time Coming to US Virtual Console
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2007, 09:05:56 PM »
The classic controller has ten buttons in addition to the directional control and home button, the N64 had at most nine buttons accessible by two hands (i.e. counting only two shoulder buttons). While the C buttons wouldn't be as close together on the classic controller it wouldn't matter much for anything but the ocarina and that thing can be handled fine with the right analog stick.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 05:35:46 AM »
The GCN disc versions of this game allow it to be run at a sane resolution (as opposed to what the N64 spits out).  That's the only reason to re-buy a N64 game I already own IMO.  So I would re-buy the original Smash Bros., but I'll pass on OoT since I have a copy for the GCN.

Offline Entroper

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 09:08:40 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The classic controller has ten buttons in addition to the directional control and home button, the N64 had at most nine buttons accessible by two hands (i.e. counting only two shoulder buttons). While the C buttons wouldn't be as close together on the classic controller it wouldn't matter much for anything but the ocarina and that thing can be handled fine with the right analog stick.

Think about a game like KI Gold though.  I'd want 6 buttons under my right thumb to play that, you just can't link combos as easily if you're forced to use some combination of thumb + shoulder buttons.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »
I would agree though that if you want it, verses paying 40 or 50 bucks for a used copy of collectors disk or OoT bonus disk.  Paying 10 bucks on Virtual Console is probley better
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
It would be great if Nintendo released a pack of adapters for original NES, SNES, and N64 controllers.  It can't be that hard to develop can it?
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »
Or third parties could do it...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »
Not hard at all.

Offline Entroper

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 02:39:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Or third parties could do it...

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Third parties have done it for the PC.  RetroZone has USB adapters for several old controllers.  The trick is software support -- there is no generic "controller" driver with a DirectInput API on the Wii, there is only whatever Nintendo provides with the Wii firmware.  So a third-party controller would have to emulate a Wii controller over Bluetooth, or plug into the Wii Remote like the classic controller, and use the same protocol.  Or it would have to emulate a Gamecube controller and plug into the Gamecube ports on top.

Not that any of this isn't doable, it's all doable.  But Nintendo is pretty tight-lipped regarding these protocols, and reverse engineering has thus far met with very limited success regarding communications with the Wii Remote.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
Third parties already have their own versions of nunchucks. Their own versions of Classic Controllers doesn't seem a stretch at all!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.