Author Topic: Episode 438: Spiritual Predecessor  (Read 11055 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 438: Spiritual Predecessor
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »

Online games and news from Japan take the spotlight in this three-dude episode.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/40868/episode-438-spiritual-predecessor

You know it's going to be a weird one when James starts off with Samba de Amigo for Wii. Yes, it's the terrible sequel to Sega's beloved Dreamcast rhythm game, except this one was developed by Gearbox and doesn't work. Next up is Jonny, who has ventured deeper into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and also started Ori and the Blind Forest... on his new Xbox One. That should really help with the backlog. Jon is up last with a return to Destiny, and yet, we do find some common ground between that online experience and Nintendo's own Splatoon.

After the break, we round up several fairly fresh news topics that seem to be focused on Japanese games. You'll hear about the latest updates and optional content for Smash Bros. and Splatoon. There's the complicated announcement of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS, PS4, and... NX? How about those latest Super Mario Maker details! Would you be interested in bizarre Kickstarter exploits for Mighty No. 9 and Red Ash? Well then, maybe the best we can offer is Final Fantasy Explorers coming to the West.

Don't forget to play and comment on the classic Blaster Master for RetroActive Jr. -- time is running out! Also, be sure to catch the important announcement at the end of this episode. We'll see you next week, and the email link is here if you feel like giving us something to talk about when Guillaume returns.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 438: Spiritual Predecessor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:06:07 PM »
I mention the Samba de Amigo video. I can post it if there's demand, but the audio levels are all wrong so usually I'm being washed out by the game audio.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »
Rule 1: Don't shake the baby.

Rare Replay is damn good value for money, you can pre-order the game on amazon UK for just £17! For reference AAAA games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash go for £50 on the eshop.

The smash update is a hot mess, YouTube uploads are limited to only videos under 3 minutes at 720p 30fps. Official tourneys have 5-30 minute wait times since there aren't enough running at once and the unoffcial tourneys remain empty because there are just too many of them.

Be careful comparing Splatoon to Team Fortress 2, don't want another #splatoongate2k15neogafvnwr situation.

Something about the PS4 version of DQ XI looks off to me, like the stylized character doesn't look like he belongs in the world. Kind of like that unreal Mario tech demo you can find on youtube.

Mario Maker pretty much requires a touch screen though doesn't it? Or alteast it doesn't need it but if they release a touchscreen version then an NX ps4ish version it'd seem unplayable by comparison.

Woah what a bombshell to end on, I feel sad yet happy at the same time. But Greg's coming back!1!1?1! Well OK then sadness overwritten, there must be dozens of hours worth of vertical shooter content that need to be caught up on, it's been too long.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:06:41 AM »
I have every confidence in Nintendo to make a product line Mario Maker work without a touch screen, assuming NX lacks one.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 12:10:48 AM »
So basically we're looking at a constant weekly repeat of 103 with no chance for corrections.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:17:08 AM »
"that's why America has the nuke" ;D
Made you look ****.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:35 AM »
Damn, as soon as Jonny said "special announcement," I knew what was up. It's gonna be a very different show without hearing Jonny's voice regularly. Even going back to the early days, he was around pretty frequently. As sad as I am to see him go, something tells me he'll need an outlet for all his pent up video game talk, so I'm hoping this isn't as much of a goodbye as it was for Greg. Speaking of which, holy **** Greg's back! If last week's show is any indication, I think the show is gonna be just fine going forward.

Thanks Dr. Metts, for your years of dedication to this show. It was the first podcast I ever listened to and remains my favorite podcast to this day. Without your guidance, the show wouldn't be what it is today. Go enjoy your newfound free time and make your exit with your head held high! You've earned it. *Salutes*

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 12:34:28 AM »
Welcome to a new era, somewhat similar to the old era.

Ah, Destiny and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. When Johnny talked of his desire to only play through content once during an MH4U discussion, this is what I expected when Destiny came back on the podcast. It appears more and more video games will have this grind for loot and achievements. You have series such as Battlefield bragging how much more stuff you will be able to unlock. I am surprised that Splatoon hits it as hard as it does, though I shouldn't be given Nintendo has Animal Crossing.

Since we're talking MonHun again, I believe the in-universe explanation of the quest fee is that it takes the village/guild resources to transport the hunter to the hunting area as well as pay for fainting insurance. In the quest rewards, you do get the quest fee back. Still, it is another hassle to a game full of hassles. As for why there are two different shops and quest boards, the Caravan and Gathering Hall boards are the Single Player and Multiplayer split of the game. The two different item shops are on different progression trees too. If your Gathering Hall progress is leaving the Caravan progress in the dust, the Gathering Hall Item Shop will have way more advanced items in stock. These won't translate over to the item shops for Caravan. MONSTER HUNTER!

Really enjoyed the overview of Keiji Inafune's latest antics. While some people hold respect for him because of Mega Man, I find it hard to do so given the results of most of the recent games he is associated with.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 01:08:32 AM »
The really sad thing about all the Samba de Amigo talk is that pretty much all of that exact same criticism could be applied to Wii Music, so apparently Nintendo didn't learn from Sega's folly either.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:59 AM »
THANKFULLY Wii Music is not on my "Too Hot for Summer" tour. Mostly because I didn't think of it.

Next week's game was moved up from the end of the season in order to get it in sync with the rest of next week's events. Sadly, that means the height of the crazy will not be at the end.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
I was way into the Samba de Amigo for the Dreamcast.  I had two sets of official maracas, and they were very difficult to find.  The Wii version is a joke compared to the original.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
I'm surprised at how emotional I got over your announcement, Jonny.  I'm really excited to see where the show goes and have a lot of faith in the rest of the crew (plus Greg!), but it's kind of like hearing that a member of your favorite band who you've been following for nearly a decade is leaving.

I'll leave you with one great story.  It just so happens that I taught a high school senior last year whose voice sounded EXACTLY like yours. At the end of class, while the students were working math homework problems, I put on a clip of RFN instead of the usual background piano music.  The look of confusion on all the student's faces was priceless as they tried to figure out what one of their classmates was doing on a video game podcast and why he "sounds really educated now". 

Thank you for all the time you invested in the podcast...you will be missed.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
I mourn the loss of Jonny. I celebrate the return of Greg. Why do we have to lose one to have the other? It ain't fair.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »
It's funny that Jonny's exit prompts the same response as Greg's exit as editor: that is, that when you really think about it, it was beyond insane that he'd kept it up anywhere near as long as he did.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 05:44:19 PM »
RFN is a friendly home for "beyond insane" Nintendo fans.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
I usually take a day or two to listen to the podcast completely, so I skipped ahead to the hear the announcement. A light bulb kinda went off when I saw "special announcement" in the post and Jonny made an off-hand comment about getting old in the intro, but I didn't really expect that. I've only been listening to the podcast for a year (though I've made a good dent in the back catalog), so I'll leave the reminiscing to the folks who have been listening a lot longer than I have. I'm sure there'll be tons of it next week and they'll do a much better at it than I can. But it's been an absolute pleasure listening to Jonny steer the ship and not hearing him on new episodes is going to take some getting used to. I guess I can take some solace in the fact that I have plenty of old, yet new to my ears, Jonny-filled RFN episodes waiting for me.

I'm also extremely pleased to hear the podcast will still be a thing and that Greg will be returning. From the episodes I've heard with him, he's always been fantastic. I almost wish you guys would have held off on the Greg announcement so we could watch some corners of the internet go completely apeshit over James being the new host though.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »
The thing is, I'm sure if it came to it James would do a very good job at hosting. Having worked with him in other aspects of the site, I can attest to him being very hard-working and professional when the situation calls for it. In this case, though, it's not really compatible with "RFN James," and a James divided against itself cannot stand. I'm definitely happy he doesn't have to do that, and very especially because of who will.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »
I think it'll be similar to Colbert adjusting his persona on the Late Show.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
That's actually a really good analogy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
For the record, Studio 4C is one of the most prestigious and expensive animation studios in Japan. I'm not familiar with any game work they've done, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
Always know it's good news when the talkback is filled with gratuitous spoiler tags.  seriously, Why Jonny, why?!?  First Jon Stewart & now you?.

That said, fun to listen to you all talk on Destiny.  My group of 3 disbanded about a month ago after playing from the start & playing through the first two expansions.  You just can't wring out all the content without having 6 people to play through raids with.

The funny thing is Jon & Jonny are both right in their perspectives.  Destiny is of the same cloth as other loot grinds, but the biggest issue in Destiny is how dependent on RNG it is.  You don't get to level limit until you meet the following conditions:

• [size=78%]Grind rep until you're a high enough level to buy highest light level gear.[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]Use rep to buy one or two pieces, because you'll need to wait until the weekly refresh to grind more rep to buy the remaining pieces.[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]Run the weekly strikes, nightfall strikes, & raids (if you're lucky enough to have a group that big) to earn mats to upgrade that gear to the highest level, also gated by weekly limits, and loot dependent on RNG.[/size]
[/size]It's fun enough with a group to play with, but it's a method that is meant to stretch the limited content in the game over a long period of time.  You get in a mode where you figure out how to most efficiently hit these level limits to reach the end-game content, but again, unless you have a raid group to meet up with, you're gated by that limitation.  [size=78%]

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 11:03:50 PM »
Always know it's good news when the talkback is filled with gratuitous spoiler tags.
[SP0ILER]JOIN THE SPOILER TAG OCCULT!!!!![/SP0ILER]

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »
****, so much great discussion and then the bombshelll at the end. I'm going to miss you Dr. Metts. I think you did a damn good job hosting RFN. It was one of the first podcasts I subscribed to a few years back, and it's pretty much one of the few podcasts I listen to as soon as an episode hits my feed. I am truly gutted.

That being said, I have no doubt in my mind that James will lead RFN into a great new era. And if the news of Greg coming back are true, I feel like the show will be in good in the future.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV