Author Topic: Episode 390: Internal Swords  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 390: Internal Swords
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »

We want to tell you about a handful of Nintendo games!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/38062/episode-390-internal-swords

First, the bad news: we recorded a short episode this week. It's just how things worked out. On the other hand, we have a really nice array of New Business games, and in an uncommon coincidence even for our show, this lineup is all Nintendo games. (Check the related content links on the right sidebar to follow up on each one.) You even get more in-depth Xenoblade flattery, and it's not even the same guy as last week! So, please enjoy our weekly impressions, and send an email about which games and topics you'd like to hear on upcoming shows!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 390: Internal Swords
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
"Sometimes we leave it sealed for several months, sometimes years."

I lost it when I jsut heard Jame's sigh after that statement. XD

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
1,001 Spikes isn't really my wheelhouse. Gui's words are encouraging, but if I ever got the game it'd be for one of two reasons.

1.) Playable Curly Brace from Cave Story

2.) the soundtrack in 1,001 Spikes is partially done by Rushjet1, who brought us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1UkE9h2zJg

P.S.) Gui, please play Shovel Knight and get all the feats and then tell me it's too easy. I managed to do it. :o

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
You even get more in-depth Xenoblade flattery, [/size]and it's not even the same guy as last week![/color]

I'm sold. Can't wait to listen in.  :)

NNID: ejamer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
btw, "eventually" for Layton x Wright is August 29.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:09:27 AM »
I wish i could play 1001 spikes... Or Shovel Knight... PAL.

Another World is one of my favourite games, ever. The atmosphere, music, ending.

And it's strange hearing you keep repeating how weird this game is. Games like these are not only still being made: Limbo is carbon copy of Another World only with a terrible ending, Deadlight and a few others. "Cinematic platformers" never really went away.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
When I read is a short episode I was a little put out.
Then I read you'll be talking Nintendo only and that perked me up a little. (I don't hate the other talk I just enjoy the Nintendo stuff more)
Then I saw Xenoblade (my all time favorite game) will be discussed again ok it's official I'm over my disappointment about the length.
If someone also brings up Xenoblade X I'll be on cloud 9 during my commute to work today.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:54:26 PM »
I feel like everything I keep reading/listening about Another World should get me totally disinterested in ever playing it. But it's having the opposite effect.

Great episode!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
I listened first thing this morning. I'm about half way through Xenoblade. You guys had me thinking about that game all day long.  Sounds like I like the game a lot more than Gui and Jon.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
Well we perhaps tended to dwell on the issues we have with the game a bit too much, but I think both of us are pretty happy with it.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »
It's a lot easier to talk about what's wrong with something than what's right about it.  My criticisms are minor flaws in what is an absolutely fantastic game.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »
When you're the late it is even more difficult. My first impressions were gasping praise, leaving me virtually winded. Since I was first on the crew to play it I had unlimited fresh ground to cover. All the little (and not so little) things about the game that make it amazing were news to most listeners. Likewise, I went into the game equally unaware of these things and as a result was pushed into much more of a frenzy as I experienced them.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
Oh wow, I had no idea the Investigations 2 translation was finished. I was discussing with a friend just this week about my trepidation towards a fan translation in a series that lives and dies by its text. I'm really happy to hear how much care has been put into the translation and how faithful it is to the content and the spirit of the series.

As far as denoting laughing strangely, they did that in Ace Attorney 1 as well. In the 4th case, von Karma says "Tsk, tsk, tsk" and Phoenix comments that it's the "same evil laugh that Edgeworth has." So maybe even the odd laugh in Investigations 2 is actually a carefully planted reference as well!

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
It's a lot easier to talk about what's wrong with something than what's right about it.  My criticisms are minor flaws in what is an absolutely fantastic game.
Awesome I'm glad to hear that I just misunderstood

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has everyone on the podcast crew tried The Last Story?  I'm sure it must have been covered on the podcast, but I honestly can't remember for certain.   It's currently on my backlog of shame. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
James and I have both played The Last Story to completion and are big fans. It was my #1 game of that year!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 01:24:12 AM »
More people have to play The Last Story.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
Not that laugh. In this case it's "He He Heh" or "He He He" which just looks very strangely when written.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
I started The Last Story earlier this year, kind of got bogged down in the arena fights, and stopped playing.

I'll get back to it, just like I've gone back to Xenoblade.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
I really need to pick up The Last Story, because I need more long games that I can buy and never finish
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog