Author Topic: FIFA 15 Heading to Wii and 3DS, Kicking Wii U Aside  (Read 10678 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA 15 Heading to Wii and 3DS, Kicking Wii U Aside
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
Also, Nintendo price gouging? At what point exactly did Nintendo raise the price of the Wii in a manner that wasn't considered fair market value?

The funny thing is, is that there was an effort made to get Nintendo to officially *raise* the price of the Wii (generally, by packing in more games/controllers), but Nintendo refused and held the price steady.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »

No. I find both practices reprehensible.

I'm glad we both agree that EA and Nintendo at times use inappropriate practices. 

The difference is one company (EA) is being disingenuous about the product it's trying to sell.

I disagree, they are making changes just not significant changes to graphics/gameplay thus the budget price.

Which is exactly why I think saying that "arguing EA's price gauges are pointless" is wrong (or any company for that matter). They totally deserve to be called out in public for their crap.

Also, Nintendo price gouging? At what point exactly did Nintendo raise the price of the Wii in a manner that wasn't considered fair market value?

I thought it was pretty obvious I was arguing that Nintendo overcharges just like EA in response to quotes like yours.
Last time I checked these legacy editions were selling for $30. I guess that's ok but that's way too much for a literal roster update.

Price gouging is used synonymously with overcharging in our society. "http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jetblue-ceo-price-gouging-is-a-rude-fact-of-air-travel/"  The CEO of JetBlue is using price gouging where technically he means overcharging.  The article talks about airline consolidation allowing them to increase charges and fees that never go away and aren't the result of a specific increase in demand or drop in supply.  What an idiot, right? 

Either way I do agree with you.  Businesses are going to charge what they can get away with so not much point in talking about overcharging or price gouging.  It doesn't seem to stop people from weighing in on EAs practice though, even though I doubt any of you would be interested in this game for $5.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »

The funny thing is, is that there was an effort made to get Nintendo to officially *raise* the price of the Wii (generally, by packing in more games/controllers), but Nintendo refused and held the price steady.

If I remember my old RFNs correctly, Nintendo actually did raise the price of the Wii in Europe at one point, ostensibly because of currency fluctuations.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
Nintendo games don't come down in price as quickly as other developers' games, but I wouldn't call that price gouging.  That's the market holding those prices steady.

And with Xenoblade and the MPTrilogy thing, there was significant risk in reprinting those games as the demand may not have been there.  Those titles were going for that in the pre-owned market anyway, weren't they?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
They were probably going higher because of the lack of availability. The prices have dropped back down to normal though. Xenoblade and MPT are going for $50 used on Gamestop, which is fine.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
Nintendo games not dropping in price isn't price gouging, they don't go down (usually, some do drop if they bomb) because they continue to sell at a steady pace while most games from other publishers tend to drop their sales numbers within a month or two (with some exceptions). When demand goes down, THEN you drop the price.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
They were probably going higher because of the lack of availability. The prices have dropped back down to normal though. Xenoblade and MPT are going for $50 used on Gamestop, which is fine.

I was always under the impression that MPT was limited edition anyway, especially with the tin case and SWEET art book.

With Xenoblade, we knew that was a limited print from the start because Nintendo didn't wanna bring it over.

And aren't these Gamestop versions not really "used"?  They were printing them, right?  I know they were labeled as used, but I figure most people buying the game would know what's up.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
I don't think Gamestop can just print copies of a game whenever they want. Well, I hope not.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
And aren't these Gamestop versions not really "used"?  They were printing them, right?  I know they were labeled as used, but I figure most people buying the game would know what's up.
I was under the impression that GameStop bought the additional copies of Xenoblade Chronicles from Nintendo's online store (which was the only other way to get it) then sold them as used.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
I thought they got permission to reprint copies. I might have to go look that up.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 04:41:46 PM »
Whatever they did was with Nintendo's blessing. Games had working Club Nintendo codes.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 04:49:43 PM »
There's a company called Games Quest Direct that specializes in reprinting games, it's possible that Gamestop commissioned the reprint through them.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
Tried looking it up while at work, and while it was rumored, nothing was confirmed it seems.

The other theory is that they withheld initial stock.