Author Topic: Episode 297: Hippy Shows  (Read 24230 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Episode 297: Hippy Shows
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
There used to be a way to purchase downloads for PSP to a PC and transfer them to USB via cable. I don't know if that is still supported or if it works on Vita. But I also wouldn't assume that your hostel Internet will be the only choice. Most populated areas have some form of public WiFi, in coffee shops, libraries, university labs, hotels, etc.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline zoanthropicfrog

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »
Optimus — Well, EB Games (Gamespot, basically) does sell a lot of secondhand stuff, and given that I'll actually be in town next year I'll have access to them, but methinks mainly it'd be Amazon and Ebay given I'm something of a niche gamer.

Jonny — that's much much more common in America than Australia (or at least my particular corner of it). It's only really McDonalds if you're looking for free access, and it's not all that conducive to downloads of that size. I might be able to get it at uni though, I hadn't thought of that.

To clarify: I won't be able to use the hostel computers for downloads at all, with the exception of things like pdf files for research. The quantity of blocked sites is ridiculous, because it's a government-funded thing specifically for students. Unfortunately that means no social networking sites, no iTunes and no game-oriented stuff. Great for productivity, but stupid when it comes to some areas of research — I won't even be able to access anything regarding illicit drug use, which is important for my area of study.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »
Ugh, not an ideal situation, zoanthropicfrog. I'd still try to get a memory stick for the PSP, Ellyn, because realistically, you won't be downloading games constantly. Perhaps getting one or two RPGs whenever you can is going to be enough.

I think it's a good idea to get a 3000 model. You get both downloads and UMDs. The only reason I talked so much about PSN was because it IS a good way to acquire a lot of the better RPGs. The prices are cheaper than you may think. Even when they're not on sale, the Persona games are no more than $20. Meanwhile on Ebay I see Persona 1 listed at $50.

And I wouldn't worry too much about not being into those non-Nintendo games. Given your love of 999, I really do think you'd have a blast with Persona 3 and a good number of the RPGs published by XSeed and Atlus.

My backlog of RPGs on the PSP is ridiculous, because of the constant sales. I keep telling myself I'll play through some of them before buying more, but they really are irresistible.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:14:18 PM by Pandareus »

Offline zoanthropicfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »
Yeah, you have a point, Guillaume. I'd probably be able to ask my folks to download a game for me over the period of a week or so and send it up to me on a stick whenever it's done. Assuming that functionality is still supported, of course.

I'm convinced the Sony path is best, and probably the PSP. (Honestly it shows how trustworthy this site is that you guys are actually pointing me away from Nintendo!). I'm just not sure the Vita has enough extra that's relevant to me to justify the added cost, plus it doesn't support the entire PSP library. What price would you estimate it'll get down to? And how long down the track?

Really can't express how grateful I am that you're helping me out with this! Thank you so much.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Harrumph *getTacticsogreAsap*...clearing throat*

When will the Vita see a price drop?
Two ways to look at it:
1) Sony, heading into the holidays and finally supported by some mainstream killer apps (Call of Duty, Assasins Creed), decide to ride out the end of the year and see if sales can rebound. This will be the systems first Xmas in the west after all. They adjust pricing following the holiday slowdown and perhaps on the back of their first hardware update.

2) Sony, heading into holidays with some potential barn burners, decides to market aggressively and include either a bundle w/ one of the above games and/ or a $50 price drop to spur strong sales in a "by Gwad it's now or never" mindset.

If I were them, I would do the price drop for the holidays or before.
A key rival is getting an attractive new model, and of course it will be iPhone 5 mania come fall and perhaps the release of a new Touch as well (itself an attractive game device). This is because, well...it IS now or never @-@

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 01:58:34 AM »
You are in Oz, btw?
Which means ALL games are crazy expensive as is...does this extend to used games?

Btwn a PSP and Vita, assuming this is a 2 year dealio, I think you are set with the PSPs RPG content. There are multiple games there that weigh in over 50 hours and some that completists can spend over 100 with. A quick glance at eBay shows new 3000s sold at about $120...used units go for under $100.
If this will need to be your setup for more than a year or two, I would probably opt for a newer system ala Vita or 3DS because by then those platforms will have accumulated a good library of content. In this case you could work thru the cheap backlog, then jump in with the current gen stuff when the new hits are most likely already reduced in price.

Offline zoanthropicfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 02:20:41 AM »
Yes and not sure, respectively. Used PSP games are in the 15-30 dollar range, sometimes straying into 40-50 depending on the title. With a quick look at EB Games' website right now, for example, I can see at a glance that Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines is selling for $15, which is the cheapest price available for anything.

I'll be living in this place for over four years if all goes to plan, so... I guess in that scenario a Vita may be best for long-term gaming. Euhh I have no idea I'm so confused.

Does the Vita support PSP UMDs or just downloads? I looked it up but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:39 AM »
Vita doesn't support UMDs, only PSN downloads as far as PSP support.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
Billy, my man, I respect you a lot. I really do.  But what happened this episode? You voiced some opinions that I never thought I would hear on such a quality podcast.  No offense, but, I strongly disagree with the following opinions of yours:

-smartphone cross-platforming would help games on Nintendo systems
-designing a car/ship/castle/RPG party at work and playing it at home is a valuable feature
-HD ports/"remakes" are exciting
-Kid Icarus Uprising is not (very obviously) top-notch voice acting
-someone wants gaming on a budget and you suggest the Vita? yyyyiiiiikes.  That console is not even simply "$150 more" when you factor in the memory sticks.  Especially since she said she wanted to do a lot of downloadable games.

Gui, great job.  Thanks for politely challenging a lot of Billy's opinions that I disagreed with.

James, good job hosting, sir. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:48 AM »
Does the Vita support PSP UMDs or just downloads? I looked it up but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Well, it does and it doesn't, especially depending on where you live.  The hardware doesn't support UMDs, but Sony in Japan has the UMD Passport program that allows folks to register their UMD games and download the digital versions on the Vita for a discounted price.  Everywhere else, though, your UMDs are completely useless when it comes to the Vita.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 03:27:36 AM »
Billy, my man, I respect you a lot. I really do.  But what happened this episode? You voiced some opinions that I never thought I would hear on such a quality podcast.  No offense, but, I strongly disagree with the following opinions of yours:

-designing a car/ship/castle/RPG party at work and playing it at home is a valuable feature

I have to say I'm with Billy on at least these three, to varying degrees.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:46 AM »
Two ways to look at it:
1) Sony, heading into the holidays and finally supported by some mainstream killer apps (Call of Duty, Assasins Creed), decide to ride out the end of the year and see if sales can rebound. This will be the systems first Xmas in the west after all. They adjust pricing following the holiday slowdown and perhaps on the back of their first hardware update.

I am sure COD will sell to the existing PSV fanbase, but I am not sure there are many people who would go out and buy one because COD is on it. I don't see it as a system seller for the PSV, basicall.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »
I predict a Connectibites v. RFN throwdown.

Well, since everyone on staff is essentially a Connectible, we have the edge in numbers. We should be fine as long as Jonny doesn't hit us with a debilitating peyote attack.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
@Insano

Cool.  Hit me with your reasons if you have time.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
Billy's been tainted by MAINSTREAM. Hurry and stay away from him before he infects us all!

But seriously, I'm in the HD port/remake boat. I loved the crap out of OoT 3D and SF643D. I also love having the PS3 HD remakes/ports because I missed some PS2 games, and having prettied up and easily accessible versions of Sly Cooper/Jak and Daxter/Ico/SOTC is awesome.

Also, Billy obviously needs to play more Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's pretty clear when people haven't played much of it. It's balls-to-the-wall insane and awesome.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
I do like Hd remakes of things I haven't played before, but it's highly unliky that Nintendo will chose to remake games I haven't played before.

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
I do like Hd remakes of things I haven't played before, but it's highly unliky that Nintendo will chose to remake games I haven't played before.

Well, we'll see what you have to say when an HD remake of Captain Rainbow gets announced.

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »

-Kid Icarus Uprising is not (very obviously) top-notch voice acting
-someone wants gaming on a budget and you suggest the Vita? yyyyiiiiikes.  That console is not even simply "$150 more" when you factor in the memory sticks.  Especially since she said she wanted to do a lot of downloadable games.

Gui, great job.  Thanks for politely challenging a lot of Billy's opinions that I disagreed with.

James, good job hosting, sir. 

-I agree Ninty should expand their development capability...seeding some small teams in an effort to research development on a software platform like iTunes would be an interesting initiative and perhaps even create some much needed new IP...but would send mixed messages to Nintys user base and shareholders. As such, they should at least seed more small teams for THEIR OWN dl platforms and perhaps they shall.
-Would love to see some more remake efforts...if, for example, they involve franchises like WaveRace, Panzer Dragoon or Actraiser. Pricing is an issue however...in this new age I say keep me digital and keep me cheaper than ground-up new projects.
-Vita is such a sticky issue...with its future presently cloudy in more ways than one (pricing, localized software support, SURVIVAL etc) but if you could afford it, it's a well equipped game system with access to a great back catalog. If at all possible, it would be worth waiting for Sony's next move tho!

Thanks for reminding me on this pt, btw:
Great job hosting in a pinch, James. And G-Man, you really shone this episode. I had the impression over the past few that you have been somewhat quiet, and this is probably because of adjustment (the absent John(y)s I am sure also played a role).
Always good to hear from Billy, too. When he comes on I feel it provides an interesting counterpoint...more Outside-Nintendo than the usual crew but with an obvious enduring deep attachment to Ninty games. Would also love to hear Chris Kohler drop in again.
Fun episode, guys!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
Well, we'll see what you have to say when an HD remake of Captain Rainbow gets announced.
Instant Pre-Order.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement/praise, guys. It means a lot. It's so easy to just focus on the lone anonymous troll, so it's good to know your work is appreciated by some people.

And G-Man, you really shone this episode. I had the impression over the past few that you have been somewhat quiet, and this is probably because of adjustment (the absent John(y)s I am sure also played a role).

Part of it is Jonny talking a lot (and being interesting, so I listen).
Part of it is I'm still getting used to less-than-ideal skype connections (it's a wonder we can communicate at all!)
Part of it is fear of being a fraud.
Part of it is sometimes I just don't have a single damn thing to say, haha. Some of the topics we discuss I'm not particularly knowledgeable of or interested by. It's funny to me that the PSP would turn out to be one of the topics I probably came across as most passionate about.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »

Also, Billy obviously needs to play more Kid Icarus: Uprising. It's pretty clear when people haven't played much of it. It's balls-to-the-wall insane and awesome.

...its ah...insane alright. Not so sure about awesome, but it's definitely insane. I've played way more of that game than frankly I wanted to, because some people kept saying it was awesome and I like to give things a chance. I still don't see it. Fun game?...Yeah. Awesome game? I don't think so, but I still enjoyed it.

@Pandareus

Just to add my voice to what others here have said, you and James did a great a job. It's always appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:59:35 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
@Insano

Cool.  Hit me with your reasons if you have time.

I just like the idea of being able to connect to games even when you're not actively playing them. This is obviously not going to work with every game, but I think it's neat to be able to bring stuff in from other areas. The NCAA Football games on 360 and PS3 let you do the work of the Create a School feature on a PC, where the interface is more conducive to it, and I think when that can be done it's a nice feature.

This extends into the smartphone point, where I think connectivity could be beneficial in certain instances. I'm certainly not suggesting Nintendo make games for smartphones, but other companies have games that are on both and it could be nice if they interacted, which could increase interest in the version on Nintendo platforms.

As for HD remakes, I want to play Wind Waker in HD and widescreen, and I wouldn't be opposed to others. I don't want there to be a ton of them, but I think they're a good, quick and easy way to get teams accustomed to developing for the Wii U and can fill early gaps in the release list.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:30 PM »
As a younger gamer, remakes have been really great for me because I can go back and play great games that I would probably not have played otherwise. For example, the first time I got to play all the early Mario and Final Fantasy games was on GBA. I think it's great that awesome games like Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 are available so that kids can play them and get into older games just like I did as a kid.

Also Guillaume, I just wanna say that even when you were still just a guest, I was always happy when you were on. It's great that you're humble, and you're understandably nervous. But don't worry about being a "fraud." You've already shown that you're smart, funny and all around a great addition to the show. Just keep in mind that for every outspoken troll, there are twenty silent fans with nothing but nice things to say.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:56 AM »

Agreeeeeed!

@Insano

But is that really important? I mean, the idea of smartphone integration seems about as important as the shape of the hardware.  Sure, it might be nice, but is that ultimately what we're going to be griping about at the end of the day?

As for remakes...

@well, mostly everyone

I can't believe my (virtual) ears.  Doesn't everyone break out the pitchforks and torches when Nintendo remakes/releases old games?  Doesn't everyone get all pissy when any platform's launch line-up largely (and, in that case, sensibly) consists of remakes/ports?

Plus, unless the remake is truly lazy (which, granted, many are) that means resources are taken away from what would otherwise be a new game.

Recently a friend of mine was tickled pink that NiGHTS into Dreams was getting an HD remake.  Now, I looooove that franchise.  But, when I heard that news it was met with an overwhelming *yaaawn*.  I don't want SEGA to spend time making HD assets for a game that is still perfectly enjoyable on the flippin' Sega Saturn.

What I'm getting at is, I don't need the wheel re-invented (yay NSMBU/2!), but if given the choice between a new game and a remake... I'll take a new game every time.

Your opinions are all worthwhile and valid... I'm just very surprised to be hearing them!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 04:39:59 AM »
For the last time, it's never a choice between a remake and a new game. Of course you'd rather have a new game than a remake, and so would Nintendo, but the resources aren't always there to do it. Remakes are quick and relatively cheap and easy and can fill holes in a lineup. They're not replacing a new game, they're replacing an empty space in the release list.

J.P. Corbran