Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Preview Day: What We Expect  (Read 3597 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo 3DS Preview Day: What We Expect
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »

A mix of what we know, expect, and wish for at the preview event this week.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/24745

On Wednesday, a majority of the questions about the Nintendo 3DS that have emerged over the past few months should be answered, as the company is hosting two events that will reveal all of the launch details for the 3DS in North America and Europe. I'll be attending the North American event in New York City, which kicks off at 9 a.m. EST, and runs all the way until 3 p.m. Karlie Yeung will be at the event in Amsterdam, which starts at the same time.

Neal Ronaghan, pumped

So, what can we expect from this event? No doubt, Nintendo will give us a solid launch date and lineup for the system in the two regions. For North America, I think we can safely assume it will debut on a Sunday, which is historically when all Nintendo systems launch. Personally, I'm putting my money on March 27, though I'd love to see it come out on March 20, which is a scant two days after my birthday and would be quite possibly the coolest potential birthday present in recent memory.

As for the launch games, there is no doubt in my mind that Nintendogs + Cats will be a day one release from Nintendo. Since I'm not that enthusiastic about it (this could change on Wednesday), I'm hoping for another Nintendo launch title. If there is one, it would most likely be Steel Diver, especially since that game is set for a March 17 release in Japan. However, I remain hopeful that it is a game I give a crap about, so maybe we'll get PilotWings Resort or Ocarina of Time 3D.

Steel Diver, it was boring

Third party-wise, Karlie and I have received confirmation that folks from Capcom, Konami, EA, and Koei Tecmo will be there. That doesn't confirm any of their games for launch, but judging from what we've heard about the Japanese launch and other announced release date projections, I expect to see Super Street Fighter IV, Madden NFL Football, and Samurai Warriors Chronicle right around launch.

No Mario, so Super Street Fighter is the launch Super game

However, a lot of that is already expected. With Nintendogs + Cats as the only Nintendo launch title, and the fact that there have been no games announced yet that could be released in the US first, it does open up the idea of a big reveal at this event. I think we'll hear a little about a potential fall 2011 3DS game that we haven't heard anything concrete about it. Maybe we'll hear something about Mario Kart, Paper Mario, or a 2D or 3D Mario platformer. I'm probably thinking too lofty here, and with that in mind, maybe we'll get Metroid Prime 3DS.

Ocarina of Time 3D

As for what I'm looking forward to at this event, the top of the list is obviously the launch date and price, but I'm also anxious to check out full-on demos for Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Madden NFL Football. I'm ridiculously pumped for this event, and if you're a Nintendo fan, I'd imagine you are too.

The NWR staff as a collective whole will hopefully rock your face off with dynamite content. The home team will get you all the news breaks, Karlie and I will keep you updated via live blog and Twitter, and we're even going to have a live chat during the conference.

Bonus Prediction: Excitebots 3DS will be announced. It will actually come out next Tuesday, and then get buried on store shelves.

This won't just happen

Flip the page for Karlie's view.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo 3DS Preview Day: What We Expect
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
Glad that Tecmo Koei (hint) will be there. I would love to learn more about Dead or Alive Dimensions.

As for possible launch games, I will probably get Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition if it's available. As for first party, I don't think and possible launch games will be ones I want (I never got into OOT, I got bored with Nintendods, Steel Diver has gotten universal bad impressions so far, etc. All the Nintendo games I want won't come out until later). I want more info on the handheld Virtual Console, and details about the friend code situation.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »
please please have facebook as a built in ap. Please please have skype as built in ap that does voice chat / videochat. Maybe some video aps so I can take 3d video

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »
please please have facebook as a built in ap. Please please have skype as built in ap that does voice chat / videochat. Maybe some video aps so I can take 3d video

I would like to have an app that allows pictures such as our avatars to be used as desk top images on the 3DS home page like we do with our computers.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ryan Cannon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
I am totally just throwing something out, and I'm looking for a professional Nintendo opinion, do you think they would ever make a SSB for 3DS?
Normal people don't affect me...

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »
Aren't all of the cameras 0.3 megapixels? Good luck taking any quality videos with those.

Offline macatk33

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
Aren't all of the cameras 0.3 megapixels? Good luck taking any quality videos with those.

The new iTouch has a poor "still" camera, yet it shoots 720p HD video.  Also it is important to note that the screens of the 3DS aren't the exactly huge (TOP SCREEN 3.52 inch widescreen display / 800x240 resolution (400 pixels for each eye during 3D) BOTTOM SCREEN 3.02 inch touchscreen display / 320x240 resolution). So, 400*240= .096 Megapixels, so having two simultaneous cameras at .3 megapixels should be fine; don't know if that is actually how the math works.

I think that Sony showed off a 3d camera at the 2011 CES that brought a $250 price tag without all the awesomeness that the 3ds may entail.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:26:22 AM »
I am totally just throwing something out, and I'm looking for a professional Nintendo opinion, do you think they would ever make a SSB for 3DS?

I wouldn't call myself a professional, but I think Nintendo would be stupid not to consider this. Though the games play differently, I think if Street Fighter IV does well, we will definitely see a Smash Bros on 3DS. If it doesn't (unlikely in my opinion), then the likelihood goes down, but it goes from 100% to 75%.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:01:28 AM »

I wouldn't call myself a professional, but I think Nintendo would be stupid not to consider this. Though the games play differently, I think if Street Fighter IV does well, we will definitely see a Smash Bros on 3DS. If it doesn't (unlikely in my opinion), then the likelihood goes down, but it goes from 100% to 75%.

The fighting genre was lacking on the DS and the 3D technology seems to accomodate 2D games better, so a new SSM for 3DS would be very welcome. Let us hope that it is not an N64 port of the original game.  ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 07:22:06 AM »
A character hitting the camera lens when it gets smashed off the level will scare the hell out of you.

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
Glad that Tecmo Koei (hint) will be there. I would love to learn more about Dead or Alive Dimensions.

You're in luck. Yousuke Hayashi of Team Ninja is giving the presentation on Dead or Alive, your guess was better than mine! (Also Koei Tecmo is the Japanese division's name).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
(Also Koei Tecmo is the Japanese division's name).

Maybe, but every other region has the company named Tecmo Koei. Tecmo Koei is also the name of the worldwide parent company (Tecmo Koei Holdings Co., LTD.)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
Thank you, Zach, for tempering my expectations.  Now I can be excited again when something (anything) cool comes out of tomorrow's bonanza. 
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
DoA is losing its launch window advantage this time, SF3D will likely eat its sales alive.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
My body... is ready.

Prepare your ass.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
Have to say the game I am most excited about is Pilotwings Resort, I loved the N64 version (never did get around to playing the SNES one). It was a unique and fun flying game that I am excited to see return on the 3DS. Also I'd love to see a new Metroid game, especially if it is 2D. One of my fears is that with the 3DS 2D games will be few and far between like the PSP, that is why I loved NDS it had a good combination of more traditional game designs found in the 16 bit era along with 3D games. The PSP felt like PS2 only shrunk down so you can carry it around.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:06:12 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
PLEASE hulu + ap

( i seriously doubt it )

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
Suit up. It's gonna be LEGENDofzelDARY
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
Steel Diver is boring? I see a a submarine, trailing smoke, DIVING TOWARD A VOLCANO. Your face is boring!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 02:04:41 AM »
I'm not expecting any earth shattering news. Just a release date and list of launch titles. Doubtful that Nintendo will ever release the specs themselves.

I don't think Super Smash Bros. really works on a handheld. I feel like it'd be hard to follow the action on the small screen. Maybe if the screen was larger and had more dpi, but that would require even more processing power and would kill the battery which isn't all that impressive to begin with.
Steel Diver is boring? I see a a submarine, trailing smoke, DIVING TOWARD A VOLCANO. Your face is boring!
You win this thread.